Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2021, 04:14 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,739,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Just this morning our CEO announced that we too will be required to vaccinate as a condition of employment (2,000 employees). No details yet on how it will be enforced, but there will be medical and religious exemptions, no political exemptions.
what is your opinion of instead of that they required all employees to be tested every 3 days?

Could it be practical and cost effective?

Old 09-15-2021, 12:43 PM

10,087 posts, read 7,294,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Just this morning our CEO announced that we too will be required to vaccinate as a condition of employment (2,000 employees). No details yet on how it will be enforced, but there will be medical and religious exemptions, no political exemptions.
I suspect a lot of "religions" will be invented.

Old 09-15-2021, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post
You are being quite presumptuous here and I really don't know why unless you feel you need to be so to fit your narrative.

I never said I was immune. I responded to another poster's (NSHL10) request to "Show the proof of your assertion that natural immunity is superior to the vaccine and lasts longer". They weren't talking to me and I kind of butted in but felt the need to insert my $.02. I said "I'm walking, talking, living proof natural immunity is quite adequate. I hesitate to throw words around like superior and as far as lasting longer, well dunno about that one". Read it slowly and you can easily see I did not say I was immune.

I have already told you I was human and not bulletproof to anything that I knew of so why are you ragging this to death? You can take every vaccine they come out with and still not be bulletproof but you already know that which is why you come up with your Russian roulette analogy. lol I think I'm going to have to sound like some hippie back in the '60's and say "far out man" I still don't know what you've come up with on the "spaces". Another "far out man". Cylinder holds 6 bullets, Russian roulette calls for one bullet so five empty (or blanks) slots which you already are aware of so what's with this vaccine like "adding spaces for blanks"?

Also, for you to say such a thing as I consider this virus an easy game of chance? Wow. I have to say, you're the first I have heard to come up with such a statement as that. What a bold but insane and irrelevant remark to make. Disease and death do not go in the same sentence as easy game of chance and I feel you need to know this so you won't make such an asinine remark like this again.

So, have to say again, I never said or assumed I was immune and of course I know most people who catch COVID don't die. Are you just now discovering this?

Also, I have to tell you I know nothing about 'real' people who 'play the Covid game'. As to your supposed such people I see no evidence I have a callous disregard for them (especially since they exist only in your mind - again, one one is making a game out of this virus) or anyone else for that matter. Again, very presumptuous on your part. Before you jump, stop and consider intelligent people do not regard any serious disease a game. Just because they use their own minds to learn about it and decide the best course of action for them to take in no way makes it a game simply because they do not follow your instructions on what to do.

So now that you have edited and revised your original response to my post with your schoolmarm lesson of "immunity" to "reduction of risk", it's still immaterial if you are pushing the vaccine card, so what is it you are arguing about?

As to interpretations, my post went completely over your head. IMO what you seem to think about anyone who doesn't see eye to eye with your personal agenda speaks (as you say) volumes about you.
My analogy apparently went over YOUR head.

You said that you have made little to no changes to your life in response to covid, and have not contracted it or at least not gotten sick. Therefore you are "walking talking proof" of immunity. You are not. That's like someone saying they are bulletproof because they survived a game of Russian Roulette. That person is not bulletproof, they're just lucky.

Now you say you consider the virus to be serious. Glad to hear that. Although I wonder how serious since you have not changed anything.

My agenda is ending the covid scourge with all deliberate speed. I want it to be over. It makes life suck so bad, so much that I suffered from depression and suicidal thoughts for the first time in my life this past winter. It got bad... very low. Never experienced that before... and a large part of it was because it feels like life isn't worth living anymore in a world like this, and more importantly - with people like what covid has exposed. I never dreamed that so many of my fellow Americans were so callous, so uncaring about 600k deaths, and then they won't even take medicine to make things better. They would callously spread the virus uncaring about deaths.

We don't have that many weapons against it - distancing & masks were the only weapons that we had prior to the vaccines, and those are the same weapons we had 100 years ago. Now we have the vaccine, which if everyone got, we would be much further along in ending it. I remain baffled why people are so resistant to reducing their risk and helping get us through this. We don't HAVE any other weapons against it! The only other choice we have is to ignore the virus and let it do its work. Which again, is a world that I don't know is worth living in.

Old 09-15-2021, 01:11 PM

8,725 posts, read 7,447,035 times
How. Is a remote worker infecting other employees?q

Old 09-15-2021, 01:27 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,796,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
My analogy apparently went over YOUR head.

You said that you have made little to no changes to your life in response to covid, and have not contracted it or at least not gotten sick. Therefore you are "walking talking proof" of immunity. You are not. That's like someone saying they are bulletproof because they survived a game of Russian Roulette. That person is not bulletproof, they're just lucky.

Now you say you consider the virus to be serious. Glad to hear that. Although I wonder how serious since you have not changed anything.

My agenda is ending the covid scourge with all deliberate speed. I want it to be over. It makes life suck so bad, so much that I suffered from depression and suicidal thoughts for the first time in my life this past winter. It got bad... very low. Never experienced that before... and a large part of it was because it feels like life isn't worth living anymore in a world like this, and more importantly - with people like what covid has exposed. I never dreamed that so many of my fellow Americans were so callous, so uncaring about 600k deaths, and then they won't even take medicine to make things better. They would callously spread the virus uncaring about deaths.

We don't have that many weapons against it - distancing & masks were the only weapons that we had prior to the vaccines, and those are the same weapons we had 100 years ago. Now we have the vaccine, which if everyone got, we would be much further along in ending it. I remain baffled why people are so resistant to reducing their risk and helping get us through this. We don't HAVE any other weapons against it! The only other choice we have is to ignore the virus and let it do its work. Which again, is a world that I don't know is worth living in.
Statistics shows surviving Covid with little to no symptoms is more the norm than "luck". Everyone has different personal experience with Covid which shapes their opinion and there is nothing wrong with that but just because one person has a bad experience doesn't mean they can dictate to others what they should be doing.

The vaccinated also spread the virus and in my opinion should be tested on a weekly basis and quarantine if tested positive. The vaccine simply reduces your chance of having a severe case of Covid but does not stop you from getting it an/or spreading it. With such a new vaccine, whos to say in 10 years the ICU's wont be filling up with those who had the vaccine? JUst ask the FDA how many drugs that were approved at one time and deemed to be safe are no longer. Ill keep on living and take my chances. You say life isnt worth living in a world with COvid? Wow, must suck to be you. Given a choice of Covid or the vaccine, ill take Covid. If I die you can all laugh at me but please dont use my story as a tool to bully people into taking something they dont want to.

Old 09-15-2021, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
Statistics shows surviving Covid with little to no symptoms is more the norm than "luck". Everyone has different personal experience with Covid which shapes their opinion and there is nothing wrong with that but just because one person has a bad experience doesn't mean they can dictate to others what they should be doing.

The vaccinated also spread the virus and in my opinion should be tested on a weekly basis and quarantine if tested positive. The vaccine simply reduces your chance of having a severe case of Covid but does not stop you from getting it an/or spreading it. With such a new vaccine, whos to say in 10 years the ICU's wont be filling up with those who had the vaccine? JUst ask the FDA how many drugs that were approved at one time and deemed to be safe are no longer. Ill keep on living and take my chances. You say life isnt worth living in a world with COvid? Wow, must suck to be you. Given a choice of Covid or the vaccine, ill take Covid. If I die you can all laugh at me but please dont use my story as a tool to bully people into taking something they dont want to.
Asking people to do a small thing to the make the world a slightly better place compared to the hell it is now, is not bullying. It is the only way we get out of this anytime soon. Otherwise it'll probably be 2 more years of variant waves and surges.

Yeah, covid took a lot from me, basically everything about my life I used to like. Also 2 friends, one who died of the virus and one who killed himself because of it. So thanks for nothing, man. Thanks for NOT doing your part, even though it's such a little thing, such a small amount of grace you could give for your country, for your world, for the human race. And you won't, because you "don't want to." How repulsively selfish.

Like I said earlier, covid is probably the worst possible disease of this nature. Most people who get it will be fine, but a small percentage won't, a larger percentage will be permanently injured, a larger percentage still will have long term complications of varying severity. I wish it was either better or worse. If it was worse, like 20% of people who get it died, maybe people would care. If it was better, like only a fraction of a percent died, then it wouldn't be a big deal. This middle ground is worst of all worlds.

And in the meantime we've made the world suck. Really bad. The restrictions and masks are depressing enough. The closure of everything fun.

But the arguments... EVERYWHERE. We are currently having these arguments where I work, some people are threatening to quit if they have to get the vaccine, complaining about specious anxieties or just willfulness about the vaccine like you. Others are threatening to quit if we don't mandate it, accusing us of putting them and their children at risk and threatening lawsuits if they bring covid home to their kid. I'm so sick of it.

Old 09-15-2021, 02:04 PM

19,990 posts, read 9,537,839 times
Quote:
Asking people to do something the make the world a slightly better place compared to the hell it is now, is not bullying. It is the only way we get out of this anytime soon. Otherwise it'll probably be 2 more years of variant waves and surges.

Yeah, covid took a lot from me, basically everything about my life I used to like. Also 2 friends, one who died of the virus and one who killed himself because of it. So thanks for nothing, man. Thanks for NOT doing your part. I just want you to know that.

Like I said earlier, covid is probably the worst possible disease of this nature. Most people who get it will be fine, but a small percentage won't, a larger percentage will be permanently injured, a larger percentage still will have long term complications of varying severity. I wish it was either better or worse. If it was worse, like 20% of people who get it died, maybe people would care. If it was better, like only a fraction of a percent died, then it wouldn't be a big deal. This middle ground is worst of all worlds.

And in the meantime we've made the world suck. Really bad. The restrictions and masks are depressing enough. The closure of everything fun.

But the arguments... EVERYWHERE. We are currently having these arguments where I work, some people are threatening to quit if they have to get the vaccine. Others are threatening to quit if we don't mandate it, accusing us of putting them and their children at risk and threatening lawsuits if they bring covid home to their kid. I'm so sick of it.
I hear you. We don't agree about the vaccines, but I hear you.

However, in my opinion, we "ordinary people" should not be directing our anger at each other, but it should be directed at our government leaders and those who have repeatedly lied to us.

MAYBE the vaccines are safe and "better than nothing" -- I doubt it, but I admit I could be wrong in thinking they are more dangerous to most people than the virus is -- but the reason so many people like myself are distrustful is because we have been lied to over and over and over AGAIN.

So if you want to blame anyone for not getting the vaccine, blame Fauci, the CDC, and our political leaders. It was THEY who turned this "political", not ordinary people who just really and truly want to do the right thing for themselves and for others.

And you might also ask why there is so little research being done for the treatment of the virus. MAYBE Invermectin (sp?) and other treatments are not helpful, but why does the government seem so hesitant to at least test them with major clinical studies?

P.S. And just as a general reminder, even the CDC admits that it is possible for the vaccinated to spread COVID, too.

Old 09-15-2021, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I hear you. We don't agree about the vaccines, but I hear you.

However, in my opinion, we "ordinary people" should not be directing our anger at each other, but it should be directed at our government leaders and those who have repeatedly lied to us.

MAYBE the vaccines are safe and "better than nothing" -- I doubt it, but I admit I could be wrong in thinking they are more dangerous to most people than the virus is -- but the reason so many people like myself are distrustful is because we have been lied to over and over and over AGAIN.

So if you want to blame anyone for not getting the vaccine, blame Fauci, the CDC, and our political leaders. It was THEY who turned this "political", not ordinary people who just really and truly want to do the right thing for themselves and for others.

And you might also ask why there is so little research being done for the treatment of the virus. MAYBE Invermectin (sp?) and other treatments are not helpful, but why does the government seem so hesitant to at least test them with major clinical studies?
Thanks for that.

I don't know if it's so much "lying" per se, or just not being up front that they don't know what they don't know yet. Based on what I can tell, it's more conflicting information and confusion more than lies, meaning saying things they know are not true.

Fauci was the lead gov't medical responder to the HIV/AIDS crisis. With that experience, who was more qualified than him to lead the covid response? I've been reading about that lately. HIV/AIDS started getting bad in the early 80s, and we didn't have a true handle on it scientifically for about 10 years. By the early-mid 90s we understood it far better. We are not even in year 2 of covid yet, although it feels like forever.

The covid vaccine trials demonstrated 90% effectiveness. But that was against the original strain, not variants. They also didn't know what they didn't know about how vaccinated people could be carriers.

Re: Ivermectin, etc... as far as I understand ivermectin doesn't work 50% of the time, which means it has kind of a placebo effect at best. Doctors use it as part of the kitchen sink they throw at dying covid patients. We are researching treatments, therapeutics? There are the monoclonal antibodies or whatever. I don't think anyone's actively working against them.

Old 09-15-2021, 02:35 PM

6,456 posts, read 2,772,576 times
Quote:
Asking people to do a small thing to the make the world a slightly better place compared to the hell it is now, is not bullying. It is the only way we get out of this anytime soon. Otherwise it'll probably be 2 more years of variant waves and surges.

Yeah, covid took a lot from me, basically everything about my life I used to like. Also 2 friends, one who died of the virus and one who killed himself because of it. So thanks for nothing, man. Thanks for NOT doing your part, even though it's such a little thing, such a small amount of grace you could give for your country, for your world, for the human race. And you won't, because you "don't want to." How repulsively selfish.

But the arguments... EVERYWHERE. We are currently having these arguments where I work, some people are threatening to quit if they have to get the vaccine, complaining about specious anxieties or just willfulness about the vaccine like you. Others are threatening to quit if we don't mandate it, accusing us of putting them and their children at risk and threatening lawsuits if they bring covid home to their kid. I'm so sick of it.
While I sympathize with your situation and what has happened, all many are asking is the same in return.

To many, getting a vaccine that doesn't actually prevent COVID, has only been around for a few months with no long-term studies is not a "small" thing. Nothing that says if you want to get it you can't, but don't "shame" people into getting it if they have what are legitimate reservations..even if you don't agree.

However, putting your friend's death and suicide on the people that have not gotten the vaccine is also not only unfair, but it is also likely inaccurate. There is no proof if your friend got it from a vaccinated or unvaccinated person if the vaccine was even available when they died.

But if you think that COVID is the worst possible disease you really need to take a step back. COVID has a very high survivability rate. I am not sure where you are getting your statistics but I also hear the statements like yours that say there are huge percentages of people suffering life-long disabling side-effects from COVID. Yet every time I have asked I have never had anyone provide any statistics. The most I ever seem to get is a story or two from some MSM story about some person that they see as proof. If you have any legitimate studies on long-term severe disabilities due to COVID I would be glad to see them.

If 20% of the people that got COVID were dying, yes it would be a totally different discussion. Many would see the risk of the vaccine less than COVID and go with getting the vaccine and we would probably be at 85-90% vaccinated, but that is not where we are at. It will get better, in another 1-2 years COVID will be more "normalized" to something very close to the flu. The problem is that many in Government think that we can "mandate" and "Vaccinate" our way out of a pandemic sooner...which is just not going to happen.

As for the rest, there are extremes on both sides. However, with COVID this has been politicized to the point where the President of the United States is dividing and driving that wedge even further instead of uniting the people of the US. I am by far no fan of Biden, but there are so many other ways his speech could have gone that would have been better for unifying, but that doesn't meet their current agenda.

Old 09-15-2021, 02:35 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,796,761 times
Quote:

How repulsively selfish of you to suggest forcing others to get the vaccine so that you can "feel" safe and enjoy having fun again. Such a small thing to make the world (in your eyes) slightly better can perhaps have lasting impacts on people, if not now perhaps in the future. Why is that ok?

I am sorry for the loss of your friends but I also work with people who has had family members die from Covid and they still dont feel that it should be mandated because everyone has their reason for or not getting it. Doing ones part by getting the vaccine also entails ensuring they dont spread it and to get regular testing, perhaps even remain social distanced and wear a mask for added security...not that sounds like a life not worth living to me.

We have not made the world suck, politics have made the world suck. The media has made the world suck. We need to be independent thinkers and stop relying on others for misinformation as fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies