Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2021, 06:43 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,418,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
The virus has everything to do with it.
That may be your view, but it is an incorrect view, hence why the recommendation to get professional help, and no, that is not an insult, being serious.

How many of the ones dying from it are vaccinated? Not many. The local hospital system tweets out how many of its covid patients were vaccinated - only 1 is serious out of dozens.[/quote]

Has nothing to do with what you are saying though. That is their choice, you seem to hate people having a choice with their body. If you are vaccinated, you should not be worried, right? But you are, because deep down inside, you know the vaccines are not working as advertised, this coming out as now Pfizer saying a booster is needed, all of six months after someone is vaccinated. That is a poor vaccine if its effects wear off after six months to the point a booster is needed.

Then after that, then what? Another booster? A booster every three months? Once a week?

Why as of yet no attention towards those who have immunity, since the CDC has stated reinfection is rare? Why do they not get little cards to carry around and show people?

Lastly, who is liable? Would you buy a car, or fly in an airplane, if the company was not liable for any of it?

Old 09-15-2021, 08:19 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,776,153 times
Quote:
How is getting 2 shots so bad? I would get 100 shots if it meant all this is over.

I can't just ignore it. I work in education, which covid has F**ed up, ROYALLY. It is a CONSTANT shifting of "what do we do if W, X, Y, Z happens?" Constantly shifting regulations and studies coming about this or that.

We are internally having the vaccine mandate fight right now, with one group of faculty and staff threating to quit and sue if we mandate the the vaccine, and another group of faculty and staff threating to quit and sue if we don't mandate the vaccine for both staff and students. The administration tried to take a middle ground and mandate it for a some and not for others. That satisfied NO ONE. Now both camps have gone to the local media to make their case, and made it a PR debacle. They are making the same arguments as people everywhere pro and con vaccines.

I don't know who's more obnoxious, the "It's my choooiice!" people or the ones who say "if I my children catch covid I'm suing the school for millions!" or say that "we don't care about their lives." The big freakout right now seems to be concern over the under-12 unvaccinated kids and "bringing it home" to them.

Here are the kinds of things we have to deal with:

E.g.:
  • What to do if one student in one class tests positive"
  • What to do if one student in one class thinks they have symptoms?
  • What about multiple students of the same as above?
  • What to do if a student was asymptomatic and later tests positive, and exposed the class or multiple classes?
  • What do do if an instructor tests positive?
  • How many students have to get sick, and how sick, before a class has to go remote?
  • " " " , before the school has to go remote?
  • What to do if an instructor gets very sick / dies? Especially now that new instructors are not easily available and subs even less so.
  • How much to distance? How to find adequate space for distance in facilities never meant to be that spread out?
  • How to have students work in groups at distance [which is just absurd on its face]?
  • How much funding will we lose because we can't run classes or programs, or can't find instructors either because they won't take the vaccine or are afraid of dying from covid?

That's just a small sample. And in any case, all of it F***S UP the actual mission. Students are not learning this way. They just aren't. Once the vaccine came out I was determined to get it so I could do my real job in reality again. But no. It's not ending. Everything that I used to like, everything that used to make it a worthwhile job is just... dead now. I suppose I could quit, but I have devoted more than half my life up to this point to it. It is my life. Or at least was.

Like I said, I WANT IT OVER and it seems that vaccines are the best exit ramp we have. If not that, then what? Seems to me that the only answer left is doing nothing and letting the virus rip. But then the "you don't care about our lives!" people will go berserk and actually follow through on lawsuits for all I know.

You don't understand why people aren't getting the vaccination, we get it. You need to understand you will never be able to comprehend why they don't and just live your life. You can take 100 shots, 1,000 shots, it's all up to you. Everyone wants it to be over but you can't understand they have their own minds and thoughts about it because you simply cannot comprehend it.

You'd be surprised what you can ignore if you choose to do so. But we all know you don't want to do that. Stop feeling so sorry for yourself because it's changed your life. It's changed everyone's life to some extent. But that's life, full of changes. Some people thrive on misery and distress so don't blame your dour look on life on others or on your job. Most people who realize their job is creating a mental disorder step back for a period of time and do something else to get their head straight. If you are truly as distressed as you act like you are, why not take a break from all of it? You might as well because this controversy is not going to change no matter what mandates, etc. and the sooner you get it, the better off you're going to be. Please Lord, don't ask again, but why not just take the shot? Please I'm begging you.

Ignore COVID. Ignore people who want to talk about it. Just look at them and say I don't want to discuss it. Live your life like you did before COVID or at least to the best you can. Do what you think is right and let others have the same privilege.

Life is not guaranteed no matter what you do or don't do. Why do some people think it is? That's pretty wild.

Old 09-16-2021, 02:23 PM

10,069 posts, read 7,247,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post
You don't understand why people aren't getting the vaccination, we get it. You need to understand you will never be able to comprehend why they don't and just live your life. You can take 100 shots, 1,000 shots, it's all up to you. Everyone wants it to be over but you can't understand they have their own minds and thoughts about it because you simply cannot comprehend it.
I understand fine, believe me, I have heard PLENTY from the "it's my choice" camp locally. Their reasoning is clear and understandable.

What I want to know is - do they understand the consequences? The consequences are continuing covid. There are consequences to choices. Public health is a public act. This disease transcends individualism. There for an individual choice does not stop with the individual; it reverberates outward. No one can avoid covid if too many people around them have it. No one can. No matter what they choose. If 100 people are in a room and 20 are not vaccinated and not wearing masks, IT DOES NOT MATTER if 80 are wearing masks. The virus is floating in the air we breathe and if 20 are breathing it out and everyone else breathing it in, eventually it breaks through the masks, it breaks through the vaccines, everything.

The only way out of this is through collective action. I know that's anathema to a lot of people. So if you choose not to be part of the solution, I'm sorry, but you ARE part of the problem, whether you like it or not. You cannot control it; it is part of human biology. Here's the calculus: Lockdowns cause more harm than good. They stop the virus but screw the world up. Restrictions harm business. The ONLY way we have a working economy AND end covid are through vaccinations and masks. There is no other way.

I shudder to think what'll happen if our country ever needs a collective response to something big. Thank God we are not fighting world wars now, because based on your attitude, people like you wouldn't do crap to help and would probably undermine the effort.

Quote:
You'd be surprised what you can ignore if you choose to do so. But we all know you don't want to do that. Stop feeling so sorry for yourself because it's changed your life. It's changed everyone's life to some extent. But that's life, full of changes. Some people thrive on misery and distress so don't blame your dour look on life on others or on your job. Most people who realize their job is creating a mental disorder step back for a period of time and do something else to get their head straight. If you are truly as distressed as you act like you are, why not take a break from all of it? You might as well because this controversy is not going to change no matter what mandates, etc. and the sooner you get it, the better off you're going to be. Please Lord, don't ask again, but why not just take the shot? Please I'm begging you.
I wish it was as simple as just giving up my career and going to live in a cabin somewhere. No matter where I go, covid is there. Ironically, because of covid, the cabins are all occupied or skyrocketed in price because every rich person has had that idea already. So all I would do by abandoning my career would be to make myself poor. That wouldn't help anything.

Quote:
Ignore COVID. Ignore people who want to talk about it. Just look at them and say I don't want to discuss it. Live your life like you did before COVID or at least to the best you can. Do what you think is right and let others have the same privilege.
Again, no matter where I would go, covid is there. Look at Idaho. They have ignored the virus, and now they are rationing health care and having to ask neighboring states to take their covid patients. The Republican governor is begging people to get vaccinated.

Quote:
Life is not guaranteed no matter what you do or don't do. Why do some people think it is? That's pretty wild.
Didn't say it was. My general argument is - your "choice" affects more than you whether you like it or not. The collective choice of the resistant population is only helping PROLONG covid, not help end it. If we were working together we could end it.

Last edited by redguard57; 09-16-2021 at 02:39 PM..

Old 09-16-2021, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
That may be your view, but it is an incorrect view, hence why the recommendation to get professional help, and no, that is not an insult, being serious.
I don't take it as an insult at all. In an irony.. the therapists are all backed up for months. Why? Because covid... I am far from the only one feeling this way, and with me it took longer to get this way than a lot of others who beat me to the therapist queue. It's just demoralizing in general.

Quote:
How many of the ones dying from it are vaccinated? Not many. The local hospital system tweets out how many of its covid patients were vaccinated - only 1 is serious out of dozens.
Quote:
Has nothing to do with what you are saying though. That is their choice, you seem to hate people having a choice with their body. If you are vaccinated, you should not be worried, right? But you are, because deep down inside, you know the vaccines are not working as advertised, this coming out as now Pfizer saying a booster is needed, all of six months after someone is vaccinated. That is a poor vaccine if its effects wear off after six months to the point a booster is needed.

Then after that, then what? Another booster? A booster every three months? Once a week?
I will admit to be being VERY disappointed and demoralized that the vaccines are not quite as advertised. There was some indication that coronaviruses are very difficult to vaccinate against, but I really wanted the vaccines to be the end of this. They are more like inoculations, like the flu shot. I was previously under the impression they were a kind of miracle preventative measure. However, they are far better than nothing and still seem quite effective at keeping people from dying or getting very sick. Although they still might get sick.

However, if we were ALL vaccinated, or at least 85-90% or so, we would just pass asymptomatic or minor infections back and forth amongst each other and live with it. At least that would be my hope.

Quote:
Why as of yet no attention towards those who have immunity, since the CDC has stated reinfection is rare? Why do they not get little cards to carry around and show people?
I don't know, and would be okay with that.

Quote:
Lastly, who is liable? Would you buy a car, or fly in an airplane, if the company was not liable for any of it?
I don't know, and if it would make people take the vaccine I would gladly introduce liability for the likes of Pfizer, etc... I mean, they are going to make trillions off of this product over the years, they can afford to defend themselves.

Old 09-16-2021, 07:35 PM

Quote:
I understand fine, believe me, I have heard PLENTY from the "it's my choice" camp locally. Their reasoning is clear and understandable.

What I want to know is - do they understand the consequences? The consequences are continuing covid. There are consequences to choices. Public health is a public act. This disease transcends individualism. There for an individual choice does not stop with the individual; it reverberates outward. No one can avoid covid if too many people around them have it. No one can. No matter what they choose. If 100 people are in a room and 20 are not vaccinated and not wearing masks, IT DOES NOT MATTER if 80 are wearing masks. The virus is floating in the air we breathe and if 20 are breathing it out and everyone else breathing it in, eventually it breaks through the masks, it breaks through the vaccines, everything.

The only way out of this is through collective action. I know that's anathema to a lot of people. So if you choose not to be part of the solution, I'm sorry, but you ARE part of the problem, whether you like it or not. You cannot control it; it is part of human biology. Here's the calculus: Lockdowns cause more harm than good. They stop the virus but screw the world up. Restrictions harm business. The ONLY way we have a working economy AND end covid are through vaccinations and masks. There is no other way.

I shudder to think what'll happen if our country ever needs a collective response to something big. Thank God we are not fighting world wars now, because based on your attitude, people like you wouldn't do crap to help and would probably undermine the effort.

I wish it was as simple as just giving up my career and going to live in a cabin somewhere. No matter where I go, covid is there. Ironically, because of covid, the cabins are all occupied or skyrocketed in price because every rich person has had that idea already. So all I would do by abandoning my career would be to make myself poor. That wouldn't help anything.

Again, no matter where I would go, covid is there. Look at Idaho. They have ignored the virus, and now they are rationing health care and having to ask neighboring states to take their covid patients. The Republican governor is begging people to get vaccinated.

Didn't say it was. My general argument is - your "choice" affects more than you whether you like it or not. The collective choice of the resistant population is only helping PROLONG covid, not help end it. If we were working together we could end it.
Oh good grief, there's consequences to everything. You need to face your own consequences instead of worrying about the entire world's.

You acted like because you were in education you were unable to avoid being drug into the COVID hysteria. No one told you to go live in a cabin somewhere. You could take another job for a while - you know, one where you're not special and have to solve the world's problems or worrying about who is in what "camp".

"Thank God we are not fighting world wars now, because based on your attitude, people like you wouldn't do crap to help and would probably undermine the effort". My. you really have placed yourself on a pedestal. I'm sure the people in your life love your condescending attitude. You're so fixated on this virus you just get on your keyboard and make wild accusations towards total strangers simply because they don't ooh and aah and fall right in with your beliefs. If you haven't realized how pompous and self-righteous you sound, you should take step back and give a little thought to it.

As to your vaccine, if you can't see the issue has gone far beyond the decision to take or not take it, then you are definitely on the government's honor roll, A+ student.

So you carry on with your false accusations, your self-pitying and just know I wouldn't live in that morbid world of yours for all the tea in China.

Old 09-16-2021, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Oh good grief, there's consequences to everything. You need to face your own consequences instead of worrying about the entire world's.

You acted like because you were in education you were unable to avoid being drug into the COVID hysteria. No one told you to go live in a cabin somewhere. You could take another job for a while - you know, one where you're not special and have to solve the world's problems or worrying about who is in what "camp".
Education as we know it depends on being in groups. It's the basic organization and underlying foundational philosophy of the entire enterprise. If we can't group up in rooms.... well we've screwed the whole thing. The long term consequences of essentially not doing school for 2-3 years are going to be immense. Ie: we will go backwards in literacy for first time in over 120 years. There are kids that won't be able to read because of this. And I don't mean in the way we always say "school was more rigorous in my day, ain't what it used to be." I don't mean lack of college-ready skills, which is what people refer to with that. I mean actual illiteracy.

Seeing that collapse play out is extremely demoralizing. I want to be able to my job and I can't. The vast majority do, not just me. I'd estimate only 15-25% of both students and educators like online and do well with it. Another 50% muddle through, generally worse than they would otherwise, but they make it. Then we're straight up losing about 25%. That plays out in the stats, e.g. the "missing kindergartners" that have recently been in the news. Among them are going to be adult cohorts who can't read in 10-15 years.

Take WHAT job that would offer an escape from all this? Again, wherever I would go, there covid is. Just talked to a contractor today and he said the same conflicts play out in his industry. He said that he had to let go subcontractors because they tested positive for covid and refused to quarantine for 14 days, wanting to come on the job site the day after testing positive. People will do things like get into mask and/or vaccine arguments on the job. E.g. a homeowner or business wants them to wear a mask inside their home/ business on a job & they won't do it. Have to fire them.

So there's a field that's out. Further ideas?

Quote:
"Thank God we are not fighting world wars now, because based on your attitude, people like you wouldn't do crap to help and would probably undermine the effort". My. you really have placed yourself on a pedestal. I'm sure the people in your life love your condescending attitude. You're so fixated on this virus you just get on your keyboard and make wild accusations towards total strangers simply because they don't ooh and aah and fall right in with your beliefs. If you haven't realized how pompous and self-righteous you sound, you should take step back and give a little thought to it.
That's what you say.

Thankfully my family and in laws are on board with masks and vaccines. Some of the in laws resisted until a breakout at their church put a number of the churchgoers in the hospital. They promptly got the vaccine after that.

But yeah, I would really not want to have fight a world war in the context we're in, because it's clear that as a country we would not rally to a shared goal. If we can't work together to defeat a deadly disease, I don't know what we will work together on. This conversation is exhibit A.

Quote:
As to your vaccine, if you can't see the issue has gone far beyond the decision to take or not take it, then you are definitely on the government's honor roll, A+ student.
"My" vaccine?

Quote:
So you carry on with your false accusations, your self-pitying and just know I wouldn't live in that morbid world of yours for all the tea in China.
We can insult each other all day but I don't know how productive more of that would be on here. I apologize for being more personal than I should have been. I was the one who instigated that. My fault.

If you want to carry on with the insults, you can PM me and we can take it off the public board.

Last edited by redguard57; 09-16-2021 at 10:17 PM..

Old 09-17-2021, 09:26 AM

Quote:

So there's a field that's out. Further ideas?

That's what you say.

"My" vaccine?

If you want to carry on with the insults, you can PM me and we can take it off the public board.

No, I sure don't have any further ideas for you. It was asinine on my part to even make a suggestion in the first place.

"That's what you say".

Yeah buddy, that's exactly what I say.

"My" vaccine? Why not? It seems to be your alpha and omega and the way you are carrying on about it, yeah your vaccine. If we were friends and you told me you took the vaccination I would say, oh yeah, and that would be the end of the conversation unless you felt the need to explain why to which I would also reply, oh yeah. Same exact conversation would go if you told me you were not taking the vaccination.

On the other hand you came up to me and said I needed to get the vaccination because you did and because it was for the sake of all mankind and if I didn't I was a callous, uncaring and selfish person, the conversation would take quite a different.

You can use derogatory adjectives all you like when addressing someone who doesn't agree with you on this subject, it just reflects back negatively on yourself but that's your business, isn't it?

No, I do not care to have further conversations with you on this subject so don't be looking for a PM from me. I have gone against my better judgment every time I have responded to one of your posts on here and I would tell myself this is the last time - no more. lol I was for sure not going to rely back to any more of this nonsense after the last post I made, but by golly, you with your little sarcastic remark of "That's what you say" just pulled me back in. So you can imply I'm a lair all you want, use whatever unsavory adjectives you can come up with to describe me, it doesn't matter. I won't be making this mistake again.

Last edited by lonestar2007; 09-17-2021 at 09:38 AM..

Old 09-18-2021, 08:32 AM

1,969 posts, read 676,569 times
People keep asking what happens at 100% vax => pro-mandate people keep pretending they don't see that question.

Old 09-18-2021, 09:41 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,653,312 times
Probably the biggest dictator speech in history. I know Biden didn't write it cause he isn't in charge. Someone from WEF (World Economic Forum) most likely.

If it starts at 100 people, why not move it to everyone. People don't be scared, they are throwing crap against a wall and trying to scare you when it won't stick. Just the fact they said its an emergency and then exempted groups from it (postal employees of 600,000) means the emergency use is a joke.

File religious exemption if anyone requires it. Don't worry, plenty of jobs open and more in the next few years as many vaccinated won't make it. Just look at what is going on with other highly vaccinated countries, it isn't that hard to see. Don't comply to unjust mandates...MLK did the same.

Old 09-19-2021, 08:34 PM

Quote:
No, I sure don't have any further ideas for you. It was asinine on my part to even make a suggestion in the first place.

"That's what you say".

Yeah buddy, that's exactly what I say.
Funny that this was what set you off. I was trying to disengage from hurling insults and dismissed yours. Wasn't anything sarcastic about that.

Quote:
"My" vaccine? Why not? It seems to be your alpha and omega and the way you are carrying on about it, yeah your vaccine. If we were friends and you told me you took the vaccination I would say, oh yeah, and that would be the end of the conversation unless you felt the need to explain why to which I would also reply, oh yeah. Same exact conversation would go if you told me you were not taking the vaccination.
We would not be friends. I have a family I don't want to bring covid back to and you've already declared that you do nothing, so I assume not only no vaccine but no masks. I do not allow such people near me or my family if I can help it, and would use whatever force necessary to dispatch them if they harass any of us.

Quote:
On the other hand you came up to me and said I needed to get the vaccination because you did and because it was for the sake of all mankind and if I didn't I was a callous, uncaring and selfish person, the conversation would take quite a different.
Because that is the truth. Anti-vaxxers, anti-maskers are in my view some of the most selfish people on this Earth right now, who I think in a bizarre way LIKE what covid has done to society. If they didn't, they would want to end it with all deliberate speed and do everything within their power to do so. Not willfully do everything they can to drag it out. Which is what they're doing.

Quote:
You can use derogatory adjectives all you like when addressing someone who doesn't agree with you on this subject, it just reflects back negatively on yourself but that's your business, isn't it?
You're the one hurling insults now. I already tried to disengage and apologized for whatever personal insults I previously used.

Quote:
No, I do not care to have further conversations with you on this subject so don't be looking for a PM from me. I have gone against my better judgment every time I have responded to one of your posts on here and I would tell myself this is the last time - no more. lol I was for sure not going to rely back to any more of this nonsense after the last post I made, but by golly, you with your little sarcastic remark of "That's what you say" just pulled me back in. So you can imply I'm a lair all you want, use whatever unsavory adjectives you can come up with to describe me, it doesn't matter. I won't be making this mistake again.
Fine with me.

Although I am curious how you, or anyone like you, think this scourge will ever end without a medical solution and why you don't want prevention? We need both prevention and treatment. Like AIDS, we needed people to both use protection and we needed ways to treat it. With those combined we have made AIDS far less of a problem than it once was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies