Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2021, 12:41 PM

29,528 posts, read 22,729,268 times

Advertisements

'Proud' of someone for flipping off a group?

Talk about setting a low bar, no wonder our country is going down the tubes.

https://www.sevendaysvt.com/OffMessa...ask-protesters

Quote:
The rest of the day passed uneventfully. Then, the next morning, Fiona got an email from her eighth grade science teacher. Photographer Glenn Russell had captured Fiona flipping the bird in an image that accompanied a VTDigger.org story on the anti-mask protests at CVU; her teacher had recognized the sliver of glasses and forehead looking out the bus window. She told Fiona she was proud of her.

Within hours, the image went viral. Philip Lewis, a senior editor at the Huffington Post, tweeted a screenshot of the photo, which has so far received more than 95,000 likes. “This photo should win a Pulitzer,” he wrote. A rash of TikToks followed, including one by a user named Beepbeepzebib, featuring the caption “Our little American heroes,” which received more than 100,000 likes.

As Fiona and Meagan absorbed the shock of Fiona’s sudden internet celebrity, they noticed that some people were impersonating them in the comment sections of various social media platforms. “Some people were like, ‘Oh my gosh, that’s my daughter, I’m so proud of her!’” said Fiona. “It was so weird.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2021, 12:47 PM

16,572 posts, read 10,679,739 times
Liberals celebrating vulgarity? Par for the course, sadly.

Old 09-12-2021, 12:49 PM

7,444 posts, read 3,576,623 times
Flipping off to a pro mask group would be a great offense in a liberal mind.

Old 09-12-2021, 01:03 PM

13,287 posts, read 8,482,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Liberals celebrating vulgarity? Par for the course, sadly.
Hmmm....yet today as I drove to the store...a convoy of cars honking had banners that read F*** Biden. With the last car having a trump flag. You guessed it I was terribly upset that delusional antics by car drivers still think 45 is worthy of parading around for. So tired of any adult spewing thru banners such vulgar words. My grandkids don't need to experience that on a Sunday after church.

As for any young person being aggressive...that is not how to resolve differences. Let the anti (insert cause) lose steam. My banner guys made great target practice for the kids- water balloons helped clean those vulgar words.

Old 09-12-2021, 01:12 PM

19,096 posts, read 27,679,377 times
When we protested here vaccination mandate for health care, I witnessed a man about my age, across two lanes from us, sticking his hand out and flipping us. Well, holding middle finger up. I applauded him, nurses besid eme caught to this and started applauding him too. I bowed to him and shouted Thank you. To what he stuck BOTH of his hands out and did double flip.

Adult person, likely father of children, likely well doing, judging by expensive truck he was in.

I am grateful that he did, what he did. He RAISED us up and lowered himself. Thank you!

As of the child described here.. seriously, what do you expect in a country where S and F words are every third word filler for so many and you can't even find a movie without them? Does she know any better? You think, her parents raised her up as respectful and polite person, minding what she says? It's travesty, not a concern.

Old 09-12-2021, 01:20 PM

19,861 posts, read 12,142,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Hmmm....yet today as I drove to the store...a convoy of cars honking had banners that read F*** Biden. With the last car having a trump flag. You guessed it I was terribly upset that delusional antics by car drivers still think 45 is worthy of parading around for. So tired of any adult spewing thru banners such vulgar words. My grandkids don't need to experience that on a Sunday after church.

As for any young person being aggressive...that is not how to resolve differences. Let the anti (insert cause) lose steam. My banner guys made great target practice for the kids- water balloons helped clean those vulgar words
So your answer to words that make you uncomfortable is violence? What a great example grandma/grandpa. Looks like your entire family slept through the church service you attended.

Old 09-12-2021, 01:29 PM

4,195 posts, read 1,605,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
When we protested here vaccination mandate for health care, I witnessed a man about my age, across two lanes from us, sticking his hand out and flipping us. Well, holding middle finger up. I applauded him, nurses besid eme caught to this and started applauding him too. I bowed to him and shouted Thank you. To what he stuck BOTH of his hands out and did double flip.

Adult person, likely father of children, likely well doing, judging by expensive truck he was in.

I am grateful that he did, what he did. He RAISED us up and lowered himself. Thank you!

As of the child described here.. seriously, what do you expect in a country where S and F words are every third word filler for so many and you can't even find a movie without them? Does she know any better? You think, her parents raised her up as respectful and polite person, minding what she says? It's travesty, not a concern.

on their way to square dance or tractor pull, perhaps?

Old 09-12-2021, 01:44 PM

24,550 posts, read 17,303,484 times
It sounds like the mom and teachers in this story missed a teachable moment. Instead of applauding the girl for her vulgar gesture they should have corrected her that it was not nice to do that and we need to respect everyone's opinions no matter if they are right or wrong.

They really are setting a low bar for themselves and the kids.

Let's fast forward 10 years when this little darling who has been raised to be a brat by talking back and making rude gestures towards adults is in the front line of some protest, she flips off the wrong person and gets a smack down.

We are all entitled to our opinions and respect should be granted.

Old 09-12-2021, 01:45 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,650,256 times
Not surprising. Ill-mannered behavior is celebrated and decent behavior is scorned. That's our society now.

Old 09-12-2021, 01:49 PM

19,861 posts, read 12,142,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
It sounds like the mom and teachers in this story missed a teachable moment. Instead of applauding the girl for her vulgar gesture they should have corrected her that it was not nice to do that and we need to respect everyone's opinions no matter if they are right or wrong.

They really are setting a low bar for themselves and the kids.

Let's fast forward 10 years when this little darling who has been raised to be a brat by talking back and making rude gestures towards adults is in the front line of some protest, she flips off the wrong person and gets a smack down.

We are all entitled to our opinions and respect should be granted.
We have a grandma in this thread bragging about her grandkids throwing water balloons at some protesters with a sign that they didn’t like. Oddly enough, she said they had just been to church and the sign wasn’t appropriate. Since there were no stones available they threw water balloons at the protesters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies