Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2021, 04:44 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,632,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
*Note: This thread is not meant to talk down on Black people. This is meant for discussing this topic on an intellectual level, and to prove a point.

With the recent threads about Black violent crime, I decided it was time this get discussed in a different manner.

One particular topic I've been reading about is Black murder rates by state. The latest available data is from 2018, so that is what I'm working with. I noticed something when I look at this by states.

The states with the lowest Black homicide rates (other than those at zero homicide rate for Blacks).
Hawaii, 2.3 per 100,000
New Hampshire, 3.54 per 100,000
Idaho, 4.48 per 100,000
Utah, 5.12 per 100,000
Rhode Island, 7 per 100,000
Maine, 7.51 per 100,000
South Dakota, 7.87 per 100,000
Vermont, 8.79 per 100,000
New York, 8.94 per 100,000
Connecticut, 9.14 per 100,000

The states with the highest Black murder rates.
Missouri, 47.41 per 100,000
Alaska, 43.51 per 100,000
Indiana, 32.81 per 100,000
Nevada, 32.22 per 100,000
Illinois, 32.11 per 100,000
Tennessee, 27.53 per 100,000
Pennsylvania, 27.45 per 100,000
Louisiana, 27.32 per 100,000
Arkansas, 26.95 per 100,000
Michigan, 25.73 per 100,000

States with zero Black homicides per 100,000: Montana, North Dakota, and Wyoming.
There is no data for Alabama or Florida for some reason.
Source: https://vpc.org/studies/blackhomicide21.pdf

In the source mentioned, Missouri has topped the list for Black homicides several times in the 2010s. Obviously, St. Louis and Kansas City have alot to do with it. Alaska last made the top 5 in 2015 (at 29.22 per 100,000). It made the top 10 in 2014-2015.

The states that keep making the top 10 are often: Missouri, Louisiana, Michigan, Indiana, and Pennsylvania. Nevada too. Oklahoma has cracked the top 10 several times over the last decade (the latest data has Oklahoma at 13th for Black homicide rates, 20.64 per 100,000). Wisconsin has made the top 10 many times as well (2018 had Wisconsin at 11th).

I'm looking at the forces behind that data. I suspect with cities like St. Louis, Detroit, Milwaukee, Pittsburgh, Memphis, New Orleans, Indianapolis, Gary, there are alot of gangs. Within the Black populations of those cities, the underclass portion is larger than average (especially St. Louis and Milwaukee for some reason). I have a feeling what goes on in Anchorage could be a factor with Alaska.

On the flip side, I noticed the states at the bottom. Only New York and Connecticut have Black populations at 10% or higher. What I'm thinking is that there are a variety of factors there. Relatively larger middle class within the Black population. One thing that never gets considered is the foreign-born Black population, with NY and CT has a relatively percentage of (as does Rhode Island). I suspect with Hawaii, a large portion of its Black population works for the U.S. military.

I wanted to put this into a different perspective. Every place should be taken at a case by case basis.
Since NV is my home and has been the greatest percentage of my life I can say with certainty that it is high on the list there for one reason. Las Vegas. There are gangs in Reno to and to a far smaller degree than both Carson City. The gang issue is mostly Hispanic though. Blacks are higher in the individual crimes but they're gangs are represented enough to be called significant. In my young adult years, 20s, in my area in the North Blacks were the ONLY gangs and I remember well when the CRIPS came to Reno.

Two men identifying (proudly even) as "LA CRIPS" kidnapped and brutally raped a 12 yo girl. They were arrested and their arraignment appearance still sticks in my craw to this day. That was in the mid 80s, 87 to be exact. Oh they made a show of it. Smiling at the cameras, chortling and giggling like schoolgirls. The judge, a woman judge, looked at them and let their antics sink in. Then in a very...venomous...voice said "That will be enough out of you two. A rape is a rape, and a 12 year old girl is a 12 year old girl. And I can assure you both it will be a VERY long time before you will find anything to laugh about." She then removed them from her court and postponed arraignment.

When they returned to her courtroom they walked in with their heads down and made not a peep. That's because the deputies taught them some manners when they got them back to Jail up on Parr Blvd. Insofar as gangs go there is one certain area of Reno tat was the epicenter for gang activity. Sutro/Montello. Blacks on the Sutro side Hispanics on the Montello. The Hispanic gang that arose is called The Montellos. They have infected other large swaths of Reno. Black gangs are still pretty much confined to Sutro. But the major violence happens in Vegas.

One stinking city is responsible for well into the 90% bracket for violent crime in NV involving any color criminals. As to why Black crime has NV so high in the list I can't speak to because Hispanics represent the highest number of criminals here these days. They control the lions share of the drug trade for sure. I've had some run ins with goblin types and all save 3 I can immediately recall because they were serious were with Hispanic gang types. So I'm a bit mystified at NV being so high for Black violent crime. But I don't live in Vegas and I don't go there either. I stay North of Goldfield.

Old 09-19-2021, 05:09 PM

45,398 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
So let me get this straight, you posted links proving there are more white kids in single homes than black, but you think you somehow proved a point instead of reinforcing mine ????

Great job there. Now you cant pretend that simple being a single parent household is the problem.
You aren't real good with numbers are you? Either that or you're being deliberately obtuse.

Let's do an example. I'll just use 100.

Whites will be 68% while Blacks will be 13%

24% (number of White kids in single parent households) of 68 is 16.32, call it 17.
64% (number if Black kids in single parent households) of 13 is 8.32, call it 8.

So yes, the raw number of White kids in single parent households is twice that of Blacks but that sort of makes sense since Whites outnumber Blacks 4.5 or 5 to 1, but the impact on the total is less.

I rarely comment on police shootings so I'm not involved in the y'all.

Here's the victim of the most recent police shooting where I live. There have been others in Prince George's County which is majority Black.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/14/us/pe...ing/index.html

Old 09-19-2021, 06:48 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
IMO the lack of education is more of a determination factor of outcome than the long used "single parent" argument. And it doesn't matter the race. A single parent can convey the value of education.
Education certainly worked for Dr. Ben Carson. he had a violent temper as a kid though. He tried to stab someone when he was quite young. No one died. And his mother was on his case all the time about education and behavior.

Old 09-19-2021, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Yeah, I'd think cities are much more relevant.

Big difference between Greensboro NC and the Outer Banks....
Or Charlotte and the Uwharrie Mountains.

Old 09-19-2021, 07:10 PM

27,571 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Or perhaps you should consider this. The slaves who managed to make it to the New World were the ones who were mentally and psychologically beaten down. Nothing makes a good slave like someone who is beaten down psychologically. And then consider that American slavery itself is violent. When one is beaten down mentally, and used to violence, learns more violence from those around, it has an effect.

Of course no one imagined those slaves would be freed. That was the whole point. This is why the Confederates wanted to secede. They couldn't imagine life without being able to enslave Blacks.
I think your theory is valid too. We have to remember that the world was a very different place centuries ago. People didn't view slavery in the same way as we do now. Most people had very few rights and slaves were barely even considered to be people. Treating a class of humans as property was seen as normal back then, even though today we think of the idea as repugnant.

It would have been unfathomable for a European to even consider the possibility that the descendants of African slaves would one day be allowed to vote, buy property, earn a living and travel as a free people in the New World.

Old 09-19-2021, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Since NV is my home and has been the greatest percentage of my life I can say with certainty that it is high on the list there for one reason. Las Vegas. There are gangs in Reno to and to a far smaller degree than both Carson City. The gang issue is mostly Hispanic though. Blacks are higher in the individual crimes but they're gangs are represented enough to be called significant. In my young adult years, 20s, in my area in the North Blacks were the ONLY gangs and I remember well when the CRIPS came to Reno.

Two men identifying (proudly even) as "LA CRIPS" kidnapped and brutally raped a 12 yo girl. They were arrested and their arraignment appearance still sticks in my craw to this day. That was in the mid 80s, 87 to be exact. Oh they made a show of it. Smiling at the cameras, chortling and giggling like schoolgirls. The judge, a woman judge, looked at them and let their antics sink in. Then in a very...venomous...voice said "That will be enough out of you two. A rape is a rape, and a 12 year old girl is a 12 year old girl. And I can assure you both it will be a VERY long time before you will find anything to laugh about." She then removed them from her court and postponed arraignment.

When they returned to her courtroom they walked in with their heads down and made not a peep. That's because the deputies taught them some manners when they got them back to Jail up on Parr Blvd. Insofar as gangs go there is one certain area of Reno tat was the epicenter for gang activity. Sutro/Montello. Blacks on the Sutro side Hispanics on the Montello. The Hispanic gang that arose is called The Montellos. They have infected other large swaths of Reno. Black gangs are still pretty much confined to Sutro. But the major violence happens in Vegas.

One stinking city is responsible for well into the 90% bracket for violent crime in NV involving any color criminals. As to why Black crime has NV so high in the list I can't speak to because Hispanics represent the highest number of criminals here these days. They control the lions share of the drug trade for sure. I've had some run ins with goblin types and all save 3 I can immediately recall because they were serious were with Hispanic gang types. So I'm a bit mystified at NV being so high for Black violent crime. But I don't live in Vegas and I don't go there either. I stay North of Goldfield.
I would expect Las Vegas to be the reason. It's the largest city in Nevada, 75% of Nevada's population lives in Clark County. And that is where the gangs are going. L.A. Crips and Bloods operate in Las Vegas. Las Vegas is home to at least 600 gangs. To put this in perspective, 110 Black people were murder victims in Nevada.

I'm surprised there were any Black gangs in Reno. Blacks are 3 percent of Reno's population, and were likely barely 1-2 percent of the population during the 1980s. And based on a dot map of Reno, there are no Black neighborhoods in Reno. I would expect alot more Hispanic gangs in Reno. As for those rapists, I'm guessing they didn't know much about Reno. I understand in California prisons, the politics run a certain way. Crips stay with other Crips. A jail in Reno, I have a sneaking suspicion that there were no Crips to "clique up" with in the Washoe County Jail and they might have been dealt some prison justice.

Hispanic gang control the drug trade. Actually, Black criminal gangs don't control much, they just sell the stuff. I'm not surprised about Nevada's Black homicide rate being high. Gangs play a big role in this. Gangs from L.A. have gone to Las Vegas. There are Crips in Oklahoma and Missouri too (which likely explain the high Black homicide rates for Oklahoma and Missouri).

Old 09-19-2021, 08:51 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 24 days ago)

29,560 posts, read 16,548,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post

So yes, the raw number of White kids in single parent households is twice that of Blacks
Thank you for being honest and destroying your own argument.

FOr that, I wont even point out that you keep switching back and forth between single parent homes, single parents, and 1 parent children. all 3 are different stats.

One is the actual number of homes
One is the number of individual parents, regardless of number of children
One is the number of individual children.

Old 09-19-2021, 09:12 PM

6,475 posts, read 4,076,574 times
Single parenthood is a valid explanation for much of black criminality. But it completely and utterly misses the point of the thread unless your trying to argue Missouri is a haven for single parenthood that simply doesn’t exist in California.

I still think the root cause is deindustrialization in the Midwest. But theirs also a correlation with population growth and black homicide rate, although this isn’t true when you break it down to cities. At the state level though that pattern roughly emerges.

Old 09-19-2021, 10:05 PM

6,741 posts, read 6,733,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
I still think the root cause is deindustrialization in the Midwest..
And elsewhere. Baltimore and Jackson are two examples outside the Midwest.

Another factor is Latin immigration, it seems to drop the Black homicide rate. Hartford, Bridgeport, Newark, and many Northeastern cities have replaced a lot of their population loss with Latin immigration. While often low income, it prevents local economies from crashing, and reduces the insular neighborhoods that drive up crime.

In a bad year last year, Newark, which is now over 1/3 Latin, had a homicide rate of approx 17/100k. Baltimore which is only slightly more A-A, had a rate around 55/100k, so an African-American in Newark is less than half as likely to be a homicide victim as one in Baltimore. I wouldn't call Newark safe, but immigration at least prevents the endless bombed out abandoned building neighborhoods you get in cities with smaller immigrant population like Baltimore and Detroit.

If you look at the cities with the highest A-A homicide rates they have some of the lowest immigration rates.
(Jackson, St. Louis, etc)

Old 09-20-2021, 08:13 AM

27,571 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
In a bad year last year, Newark, which is now over 1/3 Latin, had a homicide rate of approx 17/100k. Baltimore which is only slightly more A-A, had a rate around 55/100k, so an African-American in Newark is less than half as likely to be a homicide victim as one in Baltimore. I wouldn't call Newark safe, but immigration at least prevents the endless bombed out abandoned building neighborhoods you get in cities with smaller immigrant population like Baltimore and Detroit.
That’s a good point. A lot of Hispanic communities are working class. But you don’t generally see the levels of poverty that are found in the worst black ghettos. For some reason, many people who live in the latter seem more demoralized and hopeless. They have no motivation to work at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies