Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2021, 09:27 AM

3,538 posts, read 1,328,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
ahh poor victim. And then the silly veiled threat. It's about being raised properly.
"being raised properly" is a platitude. you all just say stuff around here that doesn't really mean anything. There's a reason there are ZERO threads with real solutions. Just of bunch of racists running around saying "it's about being raised properly".

The REAL answer is it's about poverty and wealth. Atlanta has a sizeable black population and i've yet to see any of these "look at chicago" threads about Atlanta. People are doing better ECONOMICALLY there. But i'm sure actual with solutions and real discussions you just tuned out. You wanna hear more bashing of black people. So go have fun.

Old 09-16-2021, 09:29 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Okay, so you think the high crime is primarily single parenthood and lack of jobs?
Incorrect. I know it is and every study backs it up. Is there even ONE study that says otherwise? Primarily single parenthood is the cause because the kids dare much less likely to get the needed guidance. Overwhelmingly. It's not even close.

Quote:
Have you looked at the data of the cities that also high black populations, but lower murder rates, to see if those cities have a higher percentage of two parent households and/or lower unemployment?
We know for a fact that children raised in a single parent environment make less money, are less educated, and commit crimes at much higher rates than those in a 2 parent family.

Quote:
Or are you just making assumptions?
Again every study backs up what I posted.

Old 09-16-2021, 09:29 AM

13,388 posts, read 6,442,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
But Alaska has cracked the top 10 in 2014 and 2015.

Alaska doesn't have that many people in general. 733,000. It never has had that many people. However, Alaska has a history of above average homicide rates.

Between 1960 and 1989, the majority of those years saw Alaska's murder rate reach 10 per 100,000 or higher. This includes 1982, when it reached 18.5 murders per 100,000. The 1990s were the first decade where no year finished at 10 per 100,000. The 2000s in Alaska's calmest years and into the early 2010s. The murder rate started going back up from 2015 and after. Alaska started with 4.3 per 100,000 in 2010. In 2019, Alaska had a murder rate of 9.4 per 100,000. Alaska had a murder rate of 10.8 per 100,000, the first time it reached double digits since 1989.

Alaska is around 3 percent Black, or about 22,001 (down from 23,437 in 2010). Alaska's Black population has decreased by 1,436. And the Black homicide increased (as well as Alaska's homicide rate over all).
Alaska's population is heavily skewed male with 111 males to 100 females. The national average is 97 males to 100 females.

No doubt that factors in somehow as most violent crimes are committed by males.

Old 09-16-2021, 09:30 AM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I saw it in high school, native African students who immigrated here were absolutely disgusted with the attitudes of many of their African American classmates. They also were bullied quite a bit.
Well, that wasn't the case for me in high school. I got bullied alot by some of the White students, and some fellow Black American students. There were maybe 3 or 4 African students in my high school, and they got along with the other Black students just fine. But then again, I didn't live where you lived.

I've dealt with people who looked down on Black Americans. I personally don't like it at all. And no one has given me any rational reason to be okay with it.

Old 09-16-2021, 09:31 AM

15,637 posts, read 10,393,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post

The REAL answer is it's about poverty and wealth. Atlanta has a sizeable black population and i've yet to see any of these "look at chicago" threads about Atlanta. People are doing better ECONOMICALLY there.
what do you think the reasons are that black people are "doing better economically" in atlanta per your example?

Old 09-16-2021, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Alaska's population is heavily skewed male with 111 males to 100 females. The national average is 97 males to 100 females.

No doubt that factors in somehow as most violent crimes are committed by males.
And as someone mentioned, alot of alcohol abuse in Alaska. And in Anchorage, California-based gangs have gone up there for drug dealing. Look up the Gangland episode "Ice Cold Killers".

Old 09-16-2021, 09:35 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
I lived in Maine - it's one of the lowest states on your list. There are black folks in Maine, but they are definitely a minority.

The biggest black population in Maine appears to be Somalian immigrants, rather than your typical, all American black folks.

There's not a lot of jobs in Maine - more than life long Mainahs will tell you there are, but you're definitely not going to be allowed to be super picky, like you can in some areas.

Down east is where you'll find the Volvo drivers, the ones who have 'summer homes' along the coast, but for the rest of Maine, there really isn't a huge disparity in income. You'll have the doctors and lawyers, of course, but you don't tend to have like you do in CA, where you have a massive split between the haves and have nots.

And also, Maine is really - and I mean really laid back. People leave each other alone, for the most part. (Obviously, no place is 'crime free'.)

I think 'culture' could play a part in it, as well.

When you're surrounded by people who don't have much money, either, but still make it work, well, the excuses kind of fall flat. Everyone is treated the same, there is no 'special' portion of people there - well, the down easters might think they are, but those are usually liberal snobs, anyway.

Old 09-16-2021, 09:35 AM

19,722 posts, read 10,128,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Well, that wasn't the case for me in high school. I got bullied alot by some of the White students, and some fellow Black American students. There were maybe 3 or 4 African students in my high school, and they got along with the other Black students just fine. But then again, I didn't live where you lived.

I've dealt with people who looked down on Black Americans. I personally don't like it at all. And no one has given me any rational reason to be okay with it.
I had some good friends that were black when I lived in KC. The best neighbor I had was black. I admit, I felt out of place, my wife and I were the only white people at his wedding. I moved away and we lost contact, and there are very few black people here.

Old 09-16-2021, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
what do you think the reasons are that black people do better economically in atlanta as per your example?
Well, many middle class Blacks have moved to the Atlanta area. In addition, many middle class Blacks have moved to Charlotte, Raleigh, Dallas, Houston, and Northern Virginia. Texas, Georgia, North Carolina, and Virginia have attracted a sizable Black middle class. Virginia is close to 20% Black, and Missouri is about 11% Black. Virginia's murder rate is much lower than that of Missouri. Let's also compare Texas vs Missouri. Texas is about 12% Black vs 11% Black in Missouri. Missouri's Black homicide rate is astronomical, #1. In Texas, it is markedly lower, as is the murder rate for Texas over all. Why are Black middle class people going to Texas and not Missouri? This is why I wanted to discuss this stuff state by state, case by case.

Old 09-16-2021, 09:44 AM

19,722 posts, read 10,128,243 times
The majority of blacks in Missouri live in the inner city. Don't know if by choice or chance. Good jobs are scarce in those areas and many don't have transportation. Go a few miles east to Independence and most of the black people live in middle class neighborhoods. Kansas City has a lot of black on black murders and Independence doesn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies