Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2021, 01:02 PM

9,895 posts, read 3,456,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Democrats need to make up their minds. A couple of months ago, Washington, D.C. Mayor Muriel Bowser outlawed menthol cigarettes as part of an effort to “attack disparities in health outcomes,” seeing as the city’s black residents “are disproportionately affected by tobacco use.” However, the Washington Post is reporting that Democrats are also looking to cigarettes, cigars, and vaping to help pay for that $3.5 trillion economic package they’re trying to push through.
https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2021...spending-bill/

What, did you really believe that they were going to only "tax the rich?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2021, 05:19 PM

930 posts, read 336,680 times
I've always said that tobacco taxes should be dedicated to the provision of health care for tobacco-related illness. If I as a taxpayer have to pay for smokers' lung cancer, I'm going to vote for every smoking restriction that comes down the pike.

If it is paid for by the smokers themselves, then puff away all you wish.

That's not how Democrats do business, though. Remember with the $200 billion settlement against tobacco companies, there were articles on how that money got frittered away rather than going to smoking cessation programs.

Old 09-16-2021, 07:22 PM

7,791 posts, read 8,063,435 times
As long as they don't mess with the black market I could care less. When obama raised the loose tabacco tax on loose bacy in 2009 thats where I went and never looked back. took less than an hour screw the gov.

Old 09-16-2021, 07:27 PM

15,153 posts, read 11,677,136 times
Then they need to repeal the ridiculous flavor ban. It was total BS

Old 09-16-2021, 09:24 PM

9,417 posts, read 7,066,175 times
What about weed?

Old 09-16-2021, 09:33 PM

1,203 posts, read 625,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Then they need to repeal the ridiculous flavor ban. It was total BS
The ban is not going away. Depending on the results of the FDA application review, all vaping products might be banned. They have pushed back the expected decision date. So far, they have denied the applications of the flavored products.

https://www.npr.org/2021/09/09/10352...rettes-smoking

Old 09-16-2021, 09:36 PM

20,320 posts, read 21,159,972 times
Ok. So they should also tax the living crap out of fast food.
Like call it the “fat tax”. Or the “death tax”.

Old 09-16-2021, 09:55 PM

1,165 posts, read 465,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t. raleigh fingers View Post
I've always said that tobacco taxes should be dedicated to the provision of health care for tobacco-related illness. If I as a taxpayer have to pay for smokers' lung cancer, I'm going to vote for every smoking restriction that comes down the pike.

If it is paid for by the smokers themselves, then puff away all you wish.
If only America worked that way. I can think of dozens, if not hundreds of things, I would opt out of paying for. I have no kids in school, I don't ride public transit, I never go to museums or parks. I would be happy to pick and choose where my tax dollars go. But I can't, and unlike you have no desire to punish those that benefit from things I pay for and don't use.

The United States is a huge place with a lot of different people. Many people have addictions I don't have. But, if those addictions necessitate health care, I don't begrudge them a few tax dollars to help. They may not ride a motorcycle, but I do. I don't want them restricting my motorcycling because them don't approve of my riding one.

Old 09-16-2021, 10:03 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,744,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by genesiss23 View Post
The ban is not going away. Depending on the results of the FDA application review, all vaping products might be banned. They have pushed back the expected decision date. So far, they have denied the applications of the flavored products.

https://www.npr.org/2021/09/09/10352...rettes-smoking
Our stores never stopped selling flavored ecigs, and we are one of the top 3 largest convenience store chains in the country! We have umpteen different flavors, available at every store.

We also sell flavored cigarettes and cigars, most of the flavors target young people.

Old 09-16-2021, 10:08 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,744,860 times
Anyone else think its kind of odd...govt will take advantage of those that are addicted to highly dangerous tobacco products (for tax gains)...but when it comes to 'dangerous prescription drugs'...they do the complete opposite and restrict access?!!

Just imagine the tax revenue they could rake in if they allowed opioid drugs to be sold OTC and heavily taxed them? (would put the drug cartels out of business too).

I guess the takeaway is, Govt is concerned about public health and safety ONLY in regards to SOME dangerous products.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies