Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2021, 08:05 PM

12,983 posts, read 9,510,269 times

Advertisements

I'm generally conservative, don't like mandates, but I'm going to get my booster as soon as practical (not sure what the FDA's time is 6 or 8 months after the second shot, or whatever). I'll get one because I'm sure it works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2021, 08:06 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,813,817 times
Did you initially get the Pfizer vaccine?

If so, what are your thoughts on the recent findings that place Moderna as the most effective long term, with Pfizer and J&J behind?

I thought this is something interesting to think about as boosters start becoming available.

Old 09-22-2021, 08:10 PM

654 posts, read 280,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post

If so, what are your thoughts on the recent findings that place Moderna as the most effective long term, with Pfizer and J&J behind?

I thought this is something interesting to think about as boosters start becoming available.
Yeah, is it safe to mix vaccines?

Old 09-22-2021, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuckatredlightsagain View Post
Yeah, is it safe to mix vaccines?
Generally speaking, it is safe to mix vaccines. However, there are studies about the effectiveness of mixed vaccines (generally 1 shot Pfizer and 1 shot Moderna). I don't know if these have completed or whether they were conclusive.

The vaccine cocktail (2 Pfizer, 2 Moderna, J&J - spread apart, of course) would be interesting to see. But I don't think anyone's doing studies on this.

Old 09-22-2021, 08:14 PM

12,983 posts, read 9,510,269 times
Quote:

Yes, I got Pfizer initially. It's possible that the different brands are complementary, but I'm not going to try that. At the moment, Pfizer is the only one that's been approved (in fact, as far as I know, the Moderna and J&J are still don't have full approval by the FDA even for first-timers).

As far as Moderna being better? I got my shots in February and March, when the ability to get one was at a premium and I considered myself, and my wife, fortunate to be able to get on the schedule. A local hospital set up a vaccination site (I think they did more than 50,000 injections) and they used only Pfizer.

Old 09-22-2021, 08:41 PM

16,759 posts, read 8,216,524 times
When Moderna is approved for a booster we will get them.

Everyone I know who has gotten the shot has not gotten sick. While a clerk at a local stare was back at work after 6 weeks of Covid and telling me she wished she had gotten the shot.

Old 09-22-2021, 08:59 PM

6,806 posts, read 9,357,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
I'm generally conservative, don't like mandates, but I'm going to get my booster as soon as practical (not sure what the FDA's time is 6 or 8 months after the second shot, or whatever). I'll get one because I'm sure it works.
Good for you? Are you trying to be motivational or something?

It’s totally your choice to make. Just don’t force me to do it.

Old 09-22-2021, 09:02 PM

29,518 posts, read 22,661,647 times
I'm hoping my company doesn't require booster shots.

Old 09-22-2021, 09:24 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Quote:

Yup. I'm glad I was jabbed with Moderna.
I wanted to get a booster at the end of August but learned I didn't qualify, even though I'm 77. The first boosters here were reserved for only the most vulnerable folks and the front-line fighters against the disease.

Apparently, from what I was told, it doesn't matter which vaccine I get as a booster, but I was assured the Moderna would stay potent as a protective for 7-8 months. Since I'll qualify for the booster in October, that's now close enough that I'm confident I'll be protected until I can get the booster jab.

I won't hesitate to get it; when I was in the Navy, my ship was scheduled for a cruise around Africa, and everyone aboard got booster shots of everything the Navy had, just as a precaution. The boosters were followed up with prophylactic meds, mostly pills, we were required to take on a continuous regimen. (...and made me pee orange for 7 months.)

They all worked, too- no one caught a single serious disease on that tour of duty.
Good thing, too. We were the only United States vessel in those waters for most of the cruise. Far beyond any Navy help if a disease had broken out.

Old 09-22-2021, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
Good for you? Are you trying to be motivational or something?

It’s totally your choice to make. Just don’t force me to do it.
He was informing others that it's available for those who are 65+

No one is forcing you to get the vaccine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies