Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2021, 04:03 PM

10,468 posts, read 4,042,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
They have been wearing a mask "all damn day" for over a year now.

Some are just going from stores with mask mandates to stores that don't have mandates.
SC does not have any mask mandates but Walmart and Walgreens do (that I know of) for all their employees.

If I were just working retail I'd quit and go to a place with no mask mandate.
I hated putting on a mask just to do food shopping and could not imagine having to wear one all day long.
I know. Several of my friends are taking their kids out of school because they are tired of them being suspended for not wearing a mask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2021, 04:42 PM

19,807 posts, read 9,367,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
I know. Several of my friends are taking their kids out of school because they are tired of them being suspended for not wearing a mask.
Not saying you are wrong, but I am just surprised --

Are schools really suspending kids for not wearing masks?

What age group(s) are we talking about?

And is this going on around most of the country (or at least most of the blue states)?

Old 10-11-2021, 05:06 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
This has nothing to do with pay. People are either boycotting businesses that are forcing them to get the covid vaccine, or they don't want to be forced to wear a mask all damn day.
This is a big part of it, pay is some of it, and, as I pointed out some time a week or more ago, many of them got to sit at home and think about things, which made them realize, they are sick and tired of being treated like crap, forced over time, micro managed, can't get days off, etc.

Add all of that together, what do you get?

People who say, 'Nah...I'm not working for you."

Old 10-11-2021, 05:11 PM

43,124 posts, read 18,281,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
This is a big part of it, pay is some of it, and, as I pointed out some time a week or more ago, many of them got to sit at home and think about things, which made them realize, they are sick and tired of being treated like crap, forced over time, micro managed, can't get days off, etc.

Add all of that together, what do you get?

People who say, 'Nah...I'm not working for you."
And the latest BLS jobs report shows it.

Labor force participation dropped. People are not looking for work and do not want to work.
3-5 million people decided they are not working any more.

Stores are adjusting hours or not going back to the 24/7 model.

Walmart never went back..they are still 7am-11pm
Kroger just reduced their hours.

Other stores will follow suit.

Could very well be that a year of "doing nothing" because of covid woke some up to rampant consumerism sucking up their paychecks.

Old 10-12-2021, 04:36 AM

59,086 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylerrose View Post
I frequent a small independent restaurant that is open 7 am to 7 pm/7 days.

There is a young man who is always working anytime I go in. He is in the front
and the back, does it all. One afternoon, I went in and and woman took my order.

Something about her said "owner" to me, so I asked her if she was the owner,
she said yes. The guy I always see working was in the back, preparing the food.
Owner said to me that she was having difficulty finding anyone "who wants to
come in and work". I didn't bother to ask her what the pay was.

I went back yesterday, the guy that is always working waited on me. I said that he
deserved to be promoted to manager. Then I added if not manager at least assistant
manager. He nodded no, he had not ( kind of seemed like he would be happy to
accept thought). He did say that he was very relieved to have gotten a recent raise.
I notice now compared to years past that they only have one or two people working.
Anytime before they always had more than that. Not sure why. They are popular
and always stay busy.

Why they do not give him a decent promotion as he is a true blue reliable employee
is beyond me. He definitely deserves it. They are lucky to have him.
"Why they do not give him a decent promotion"

It is easy to spend OTHER peoples money.

Why don't YOU open a small business and YOU can pay whatever you want.

I'd bet you wouldn't last a year.

Old 10-12-2021, 05:13 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,092,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
I love it...a little taste of humility for the white collars...I wonder what they get paid.... Probably their normal wage which is probably more than double what the average employee makes.

Supply and demand...if you can't find workers, raise the wage until you can. The blue collar are tired of watching their wages not keeping up with inflation.

I bet if you tried lowering their pay to the typical employee they'd all quit. The smug attitude the white collars and young professionals have always had as if everyone needs to improve themselves and climb the corporate ladder has always rubbed me the wrong way. Someone has to do these jobs and I appreciate these people.

That said, we shouldn't be paying people to not work either...however I'd sit homeless before I work a $12/hour job that I have to wear a mask at all day. Take your mask and shove it.

If you won't work for $12/hr, why should any employer trust in your work ethic enough to pay you any more than that?

Some of us have enough self respect to want to support ourselves instead of living off the government teat.

Apparently you and many others aren't burdened with such silly notions and are just fine soaking off the labor of others.

Old 10-12-2021, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
Honest question. You said there were two adults and all high schoolers when you worked at McDonalds; so who worked during the school day?

I think the "only high schoolers worked service jobs back in my days" is a largely evidence-less narrative.

There wasn't nearly as many McDonald's (or fast food in general) back then as there is now.

Old 10-12-2021, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Why would anybody be looking for a job that didn't pay them enough to live?

Would you...?

If you don't understand the contradiction in logic in that statement/line of thinking, there's not much hope in trying to explain it to you.

Old 10-12-2021, 06:55 AM

12,387 posts, read 8,155,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
If you won't work for $12/hr, why should any employer trust in your work ethic enough to pay you any more than that?

Some of us have enough self respect to want to support ourselves instead of living off the government teat.

Apparently you and many others aren't burdened with such silly notions and are just fine soaking off the labor of others.
Because the employer can't find anybody else for $12/hr except maybe pulling his own children out of school.

Or are you expecting the National Guard to provide you with trucking services and nurses?

Old 10-12-2021, 07:52 AM

62,968 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
There wasn't nearly as many McDonald's (or fast food in general) back then as there is now.
There lays the problem. Far too many fast food businesses and other low paying jobs in this country then the employers cry they can't find enough workers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies