Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2021, 05:05 PM

30,166 posts, read 11,795,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Makes me wonder if this couple was seriously in debt/had the sharks after them and figured that the initial $30k was just the start of a lucrative arrangement with a foreign power. Either way, good on this foreign country for turning things over; note, I think there's a possibility that the foreign country copied whatever for themselves, but at least we have two traitors locked up..
I guess all this will come out. Its a very desperate move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
On that note, and I just wrote about this, I am curious what country this was. As I understand things, the country turned things over to the US attache at the embassy, which makes me think it wasn't Russia or China as I couldn't see them turning over anything. When I look to those countries that could actually use such information that are not Russia or China, I'm thinking Israel, some European power, or possibly even India. In any event, I'm glad these two are behind bars.
It could be Russia or China. Perhaps they did a spy swap. We had someone of there's that they wanted back. So in exchange they gave these to up for that. I think it would be very foolish to go to one of our allies and try to sell them secret nuclear information. Of course they are going to tell the US government.

This guy works for the Navy so it would have to be a country that has a naval fleet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2021, 05:29 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
These pieces of human garbage sold out their nation, and were selling out the lives of American sailors for a few dollars. Hanging is appropriate, assuming the charges are true.

Old 10-11-2021, 05:31 PM

30,638 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
For every 1 the FBI catches probably 10 who get away with if for years. The Soviet Union spent lot of their defense budget on espionage it was easier to steal it from the US. Not counting the sleeper cells who have been in this country for years. Watch the TV series "The Americans".
I was thinking this, too. After all, how many countries would actually turn over this kind of information to the US? I think we caught a very lucky break here.

Part of me thinks that the other country might have thought it was a test and didn't want to fail it, which is why they turned it over

Old 10-11-2021, 05:49 PM

11,345 posts, read 16,705,526 times
Gotta love Karma.

Old 10-12-2021, 11:41 AM

1,069 posts, read 746,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
This would make a great thriller movie. Is the death penalty on the table here?
They're being charged with 42 USC § 2274(a) Communication of Restricted Data

Whoever, lawfully or unlawfully, having possession of, access to, control over, or being entrusted with any document, writing, sketch, photograph, plan, model, instrument, appliance, note, or information involving or incorporating Restricted Data—

(a) communicates, transmits, or discloses the same to any individual or person, or attempts or conspires to do any of the foregoing, with intent to injure the United States or with intent to secure an advantage to any foreign nation, upon conviction thereof, shall be punished by imprisonment for life, or by imprisonment for any term of years or a fine of not more than $100,000 or both;

(b) communicates, transmits, or discloses the same to any individual or person, or attempts or conspires to do any of the foregoing, with reason to believe such data will be utilized to injure the United States or to secure an advantage to any foreign nation, shall, upon conviction, be punished by a fine of not more than $50,000 or imprisonment for not more than ten years, or both.

Unfortunately, the death penalty isn't on the table. Here is the criminal complaint.

https://www.justice.gov/opa/press-re...40946/download

Old 10-12-2021, 11:45 AM

8,168 posts, read 3,127,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
From the article I read:

"The unidentified foreign government sat on the documents before turning them over to the US in December 2020, after the election."
I rarely rely on what is crafted/printed & presented by the media. Greatest laugh I used to get is reading what the media "said" happened in operations that I was actually part of. They don't know jack! and even come up with their very own special words they want the public to think we use in our operations.

Old 10-12-2021, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
India or Israel are good guesses I hadn't considered.

You do wonder, with all the spying they do on American citizens looking for 'keywords' in emails, text messages, phone calls - why these two weren't on anyone's radar until another government alerted them.

Someone is really bad at their job.
They weren't using the right keywords. Now if the keywords contained such things as "Republican, hardworking, American, patriot, honest, President Trump, anti-BLM, anti-CHOP, anti-occupy, etc. etc." the current administration would have been all over that!

Old 10-12-2021, 02:50 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
These pieces of human garbage sold out their nation, and were selling out the lives of American sailors for a few dollars. Hanging is appropriate, assuming the charges are true.
They are model democrats.

This could mean a political future for both in the dem party. It is just what the DNC is looking for.

Old 10-12-2021, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
They are model democrats.

This could mean a political future for both in the dem party. It is just what the DNC is looking for.
And that's precisely why they will be pardoned when this freak show of an administration comes to an end.

Old 10-12-2021, 03:04 PM

17,625 posts, read 6,911,503 times
I wonder if our DOJ has time to prosecute this case. After all there are grandparents who need to be imprisoned for the January 6 “insurrection”. /rolleyes/

These people should be tried for treason and the death penalty should be on the table.

To our friends who support Democrats, your party’s obvious double standards are going to cause a boiling point soon and even you aren’t going to like the results. I’d suggest you facilitate change among the people you put in office and quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies