Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2021, 03:20 PM

19,259 posts, read 17,129,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
What's your alternative? Throw more money at an alreadly failing institution? Sorry, public schools have had 40 years to get their **** together. They haven't. They need to die. And yes, education IS a commodity/product/service. Kaplan built a billion dollar business on that product. And in a market, when a service provider can't provide a satisfactory product or service at a price consumers are willing to pay, that service provider goes out of business.

The only way to end these kinds of confrontations is a market-driven User Pays model. The alternative is a full voucher system. If the Board of Education has $10k allotted to your child, you get $10k toward whatever school you choose to put your kid into, private, public or otherwise.
You forget private schools have no obligation to meet standard benchmarks of performance or testing, they can basically teach what they want. They can pick and choose who they enroll, don't have to provide for those with Special Needs or accommodate anyone who is in a wheelchair. Federal programs that ensure groups aren't left behind or that all genders can participate won't be followed.

But you'll get to pick the school you want even if you have to make up the cost difference, the heck with everyone else...

Old 10-24-2021, 03:41 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,027,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Parental involvement is critical to a child's education. The reason many blacks (and some, but a lot fewer, whites) don't succeed in school is because there's no interaction at home. Maybe they're just incapable, or maybe they just don't care.

Parents definitely should be involved in WHAT is taught at school. Schools have not business trying to overrule values children are taught at home.
Has nothing to do with black or white.

Has to do with poverty.

My gf school almost all white. Half her class every year at minimum has trash parents.

Old 10-24-2021, 04:55 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,800,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
You forget private schools have no obligation to meet standard benchmarks of performance or testing, they can basically teach what they want. They can pick and choose who they enroll, don't have to provide for those with Special Needs or accommodate anyone who is in a wheelchair. Federal programs that ensure groups aren't left behind or that all genders can participate won't be followed.

But you'll get to pick the school you want even if you have to make up the cost difference, the heck with everyone else...
If public schools actually sold a product (an education) that consumers (students' parents) would pay for, that wouldn't be a problem.

Private schools don't have to meet testing benchmarks but almost always produce far better graduate outcomes and student satisfaction. They don't have to accommodate disabled students but every private school campus I've been to has those accommodations in place and much better support for disabled students, and better support than almost every public school I've been to. Federal programs are a bottomless money pit and a workfare program at the same time first, and whatever money they haven't set fire to goes to the students. They do NOTHING to help the actual students and even if they somehow do, it's the most expensive way in which to do so - in fact, in the case of higher education, federal student aid did nothing to improve college affordability.

Why is it that students with learning disabilities, or other disabled students, end up in private schools, not public, if public schools do a better job serving that market?

There's an enormous market between Exeter and your local public school you know. Privately operated charter schools do an excellent job serving their students and providing an excellent education with no money out of pocket from parents. I say cut out the ****ing middle man (government) and let the parents pay the schools directly. In almost every transaction government is nothing but overhead. Overpriced overhead. When you no longer have the endless money pit that is public school sucking up all the demand, and parents have more money in their pocket, someone will come in and service that demand. Even if that provider is unconventional and doesn't have to meet testing benchmarks or accommodate disabled students, which if there's demand in the market, they will.

Oh and another thing - when parents have to cut a check for their children's education, maybe they would start paying more attention to the quality of said education.

Last edited by albert648; 10-24-2021 at 05:11 PM..

Old 10-24-2021, 05:01 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,641,036 times
Quote:
You are the poster I responded to and neither you or any other poster claiming CRT is being taught in the schools has ever post a link from their school division that's teaching it. Distract by formality, asking for a valid source instead of accepting whatever was on Social Media or your view as you posted it is wrong?

I know of a recent School Board Meeting where I live that the public speaking part was over run by people rallying against CRT. Prior to Public Input beginning the School Board Chairman explained that CRT is not taught, planned or even on the discussion did they care, hell no. One after the other they be got up complaining about it, running over on time and berating anyone who said something opposite to them. They
were alarmed by social media not anything their kids may have brought home. There was another video of a concerned parent going off at a school board meeting over library books that weren't even part of that School Districts collection and on and on...
You're getting hung up on semantics. Parents have called it CRT. So don't call it CRT because it doesn't align with what is being taught in universities.

When black and white parents are complaining to school boards that their lessons are teaching racism, whatever you want to call it is a problem. When kids are being taught that police officers are racist and unfair to black people, whatever you want to call it is a problem. When kids are being taught that by virtue of the fact that they've been born with white skin, they're born biased or racist, whatever you want to call it is a problem.

Old 10-24-2021, 05:22 PM

1,882 posts, read 655,210 times
Quote:
You are the poster I responded to and neither you or any other poster claiming CRT is being taught in the schools has ever post a link from their school division that's teaching it. Distract by formality, asking for a valid source instead of accepting whatever was on Social Media or your view as you posted it is wrong?

I know of a recent School Board Meeting where I live that the public speaking part was over run by people rallying against CRT. Prior to Public Input beginning the School Board Chairman explained that CRT is not taught, planned or even on the discussion did they care, hell no. One after the other they be got up complaining about it, running over on time and berating anyone who said something opposite to them. They
were alarmed by social media not anything their kids may have brought home. There was another video of a concerned parent going off at a school board meeting over library books that weren't even part of that School Districts collection and on and on...
If a teacher said to a white child: 'You are white so you belong to the oppressor group'.

Then the teacher said to a black child: 'You are black so you belong to the oppressed group'.

How would the children know what was said to them as NOT curriculum? They would not.

Therein lies the deviousness of the Left: bypass the parents because the parents would know better and ask.

These parents are not merely 'concerned' but outraged at what their children REPORTED to them.

Imagine if whoever is in charge of creating the curriculum ask the parents if their children could be taught those two statements. What do you think the parents' response would be? Whoever are in charge of creating the curriculum is not that stupid. Like I said earlier, I can recite components of CRT and no one would know where I got them from.

Once an idea entered a child's mind, there is no telling from child to child how quick that idea would take root, and if it is a bad idea, there is no telling how much work a parent would have to do to exorcise that bad idea. Now, as if the world does not have enough bad ideas, parents found out their children are being indoctrinated with truly evil ideas.
White = Oppressor
Black = Oppressed
I do not have children of my own, but I have nephews and nieces, and our collective family is mixed races. I do not want the children of both Asian and Hispanic sides to go to their school years looking at their white friends as 'oppressors' and their black friends as 'victims', and not knowing where do they belong, if they should belong to any side. That is what Critical Race Theory does -- divide the people.

The Intellectual Left is evil.

Old 10-24-2021, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
If public schools actually sold a product (an education) that consumers (students' parents) would pay for, that wouldn't be a problem.

Private schools don't have to meet testing benchmarks but almost always produce far better graduate outcomes and student satisfaction. They don't have to accommodate disabled students but every private school campus I've been to has those accommodations in place and much better support for disabled students, and better support than almost every public school I've been to. Federal programs are a bottomless money pit and a workfare program at the same time first, and whatever money they haven't set fire to goes to the students. They do NOTHING to help the actual students and even if they somehow do, it's the most expensive way in which to do so - in fact, in the case of higher education, federal student aid did nothing to improve college affordability.

Why is it that students with learning disabilities, or other disabled students, end up in private schools, not public, if public schools do a better job serving that market?

There's an enormous market between Exeter and your local public school you know. Privately operated charter schools do an excellent job serving their students and providing an excellent education with no money out of pocket from parents. I say cut out the ****ing middle man (government) and let the parents pay the schools directly. In almost every transaction government is nothing but overhead. Overpriced overhead. When you no longer have the endless money pit that is public school sucking up all the demand, and parents have more money in their pocket, someone will come in and service that demand. Even if that provider is unconventional and doesn't have to meet testing benchmarks or accommodate disabled students, which if there's demand in the market, they will.

Oh and another thing - when parents have to cut a check for their children's education, maybe they would start paying more attention to the quality of said education.
Private schools are a broad spectrum and where you think they are producing better graduates those same schools are excluding lessons that conflict with the world as they see it. Faith based schools are one of the biggest culprits for that but you don't see it.

Right now private schools can exclude students who don't fit their mold and more importantly they can expel all the less than desirables because they know that they'll have to go back to public school. Under the current system parents are paying because they choose to send their child to that program and the odds are greater they will be an involved parent something that is missing in public schools.

You ask why Special-Ed private schools provide disabled services, its done when it is more cost efficient to meet a students educational needs. Often a child needs services that the public district is not set-up for, in these cases outsources is more cost efficient then establishing a one-off program in the district.

If public schools are eliminated as you propose where are all the private ones that will educate everyone, they don't exist. Charter schools may succeed but when you can select the top x% of applicants its real easy to have positive results, what happens when that exclusivity is removed...

Don't know where you live but schools vary and for large parts of the country what is offered in the public system is the best available with communities that don't have the resources to go elsewhere.

Last edited by VA Yankee; 10-24-2021 at 06:45 PM..

Old 10-24-2021, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
You're getting hung up on semantics. Parents have called it CRT. So don't call it CRT because it doesn't align with what is being taught in universities.

When black and white parents are complaining to school boards that their lessons are teaching racism, whatever you want to call it is a problem. When kids are being taught that police officers are racist and unfair to black people, whatever you want to call it is a problem. When kids are being taught that by virtue of the fact that they've been born with white skin, they're born biased or racist, whatever you want to call it is a problem.
And as the example I posted said they were complaining about something that isn't being taught, planned or thought of. Its not my semantics CRT is the red flag that the far right is waving as a call to arms over a multitude of things. Where are the lessons you mention being taught?

Old 10-24-2021, 07:02 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,641,036 times
Quote:
And as the example I posted said they were complaining about something that isn't being taught, planned or thought of. Its not my semantics CRT is the red flag that the far right is waving as a call to arms over a multitude of things. Where are the lessons you mention being taught?
Loudon, VA is one place:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kgx49-lJrYA

Seattle:
https://www.theblaze.com/news/seattl...cers-as-racist

Oakland:
https://thefederalist.com/2020/06/22...e-are-racists/

Georgia:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-fKU4ZEZL4

Ohio:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohquI_XkzNk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoCrE7bA8NI

I could go on and on and on.

Old 10-24-2021, 08:57 PM

35,124 posts, read 17,087,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderic View Post
The Intellectual Left is evil.
The wisest thing said tonight!

Old 10-24-2021, 09:00 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,053,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
You were the 3rd person to comment in the thread - the second reply. Who was being disrespectful?
'Elitist Jerk' is in the title -- I think that's what the poster was objecting to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies