Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2021, 10:40 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,581,384 times

Advertisements

Curious about yall’s thoughts on this exchange between teachers and their school district’s curriculum director.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...hools-rcna2965

Quote:
Gina Peddy, the Carroll school district’s executive director of curriculum and instruction, made the comment Friday afternoon during a training session on which books teachers can have in classroom libraries. The training came four days after the Carroll school board, responding to a parent’s complaint, voted to reprimand a fourth grade teacher who had kept an anti-racism book in her classroom.

A Carroll staff member secretly recorded the Friday training and shared the audio with NBC News.

“Just try to remember the concepts of [House Bill] 3979,” Peddy said in the recording, referring to a new Texas law that requires teachers to present multiple perspectives when discussing “widely debated and currently controversial” issues. “And make sure that if you have a book on the Holocaust,” Peddy continued, “that you have one that has an opposing, that has other perspectives.”

“How do you oppose the Holocaust?” one teacher said in response.

“Believe me,” Peddy said. “That’s come up.”

Old 10-14-2021, 11:48 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,765,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
Curious about yall’s thoughts on this exchange between teachers and their school district’s curriculum director.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...hools-rcna2965
My thoughts? Obviously what the woman said about balancing the Holocaust was stupid. The real story here is the way NBC News used her to conflate opposition to critical race theory with Holocaust denial, once again demonstrating that Trump was right to call them the "enemy of the people".

Old 10-14-2021, 11:50 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,377,888 times
Government schools are no place for education. It's too bad both parties are so enamored with their existence.

Old 10-15-2021, 12:04 AM

17,810 posts, read 13,713,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
My thoughts? Obviously what the woman said about balancing the Holocaust was stupid. The real story here is the way NBC News used her to conflate opposition to critical race theory with Holocaust denial, once again demonstrating that Trump was right to call them the "enemy of the people".
So it's stupid to "balance" the Holocaust....but we certainly need to "balance" slavery, the Civil War, Jim Crow and the like. I suppose that is the message here. I reckon to teach kids that slavery was bad will stir up the Blacks and make these poor young while folks experience "white guilt". Can't have that. Nosiree.

Old 10-15-2021, 07:07 AM

1,866 posts, read 934,706 times
The Holocaust education needs to be balanced if we consider that some claims originally made about the Holocaust were later debunked, including:

*prisoners having their heads shrunken (later debunked)
*prisoners' skin being turned into lamp-shades (later debunked)
*prisoners' fat being turned into bars of soap (later debunked)

Some of these debunked claims have still found their way into Hollywood movies, even recent ones.

Old 10-15-2021, 07:10 AM

1,866 posts, read 934,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
So it's stupid to "balance" the Holocaust....but we certainly need to "balance" slavery, the Civil War, Jim Crow and the like. I suppose that is the message here. I reckon to teach kids that slavery was bad will stir up the Blacks and make these poor young while folks experience "white guilt". Can't have that. Nosiree.

Only a tiny minority of whites ever owned slaves. Why should whites feel guilty when the vast majority of their ancestors never owned any slaves? Slavery was mostly an upper class thing practiced by less than 5% of the white population. Also, slavery in Islam isn't even taught in U.S. schools, which is rather bizarre because Islamic slavery lasted for nearly 1,500 years and is estimated to have enslaved over 100,000,000 people.

Old 10-15-2021, 07:11 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,765,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Government schools are no place for education. It's too bad both parties are so enamored with their existence.
On this, we agree.

Old 10-15-2021, 07:59 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,765,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Clearly you don't understand what critical race theory is about.

Old 10-15-2021, 08:04 AM

17,629 posts, read 17,696,894 times
It’s come up with neo-Nazis and muslims.

Old 10-15-2021, 11:00 AM

2,974 posts, read 1,985,947 times
...i think the Armenians would welcome teaching a view that opposes the main stream narrative, no?...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies