Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2021, 09:11 PM

3,531 posts, read 3,734,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
All Animals are equal!
Some Animals are MORE EQUAL!
I have often felt my cat's demands for equity each time he stands by his empty wet food bowl, which is seperate from his dry food bowl, gives me that look of disappointment, then meows, as if to say, "Dry food? Drrrrryyyyy food? Where is the justice!? *smh*"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2021, 08:11 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 3 days ago)

27,182 posts, read 13,469,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern435 View Post
Just discovered that Amazon Prime added the movie '1984' to its streaming service. Highly recommend reading George Orwell's book '1984' as well. Constant surveillance in the age of the Thought Police - a timely topic. It addresses many issue and situations happening today. It feels like we are headed toward the fictional nation of Oceania; perhaps Obama is Big Brother? Oceania rejoices in removing all freedoms and destroying any joys about life.

Being a thought criminal is a real crime there. And children will report you!

Authoritarian government proponents should watch it. A younger John Hurt plays Winston Smith. Eurythmics produced the music.

Not sure if the devout liberal journalists pushing Nancy Pelosi's agenda have the ability to understand the novel or the movie.
I would suggest that Amazon itself is increasingly becoming a powerful and often shadowy monopoly.

'Retail and Alexa are just the start of the path toward total domination.'

Amazon Is Becoming More Powerful Than You Realize - OneZero (2019)

The CIA signed its first $600m cloud contract with AWS in 2013, on behalf of all the US intelligence agencies. This cloud provision was upgraded last year under a new deal with a consortium comprising AWS, Microsoft, Google, Oracle and IBM.

CIA plans to spend billions on cloud computing with multiple tech giants - Los Angeles Times (2019)

The Details About the CIA's Deal With Amazon - The Atlantic (2014)

UK Spy Agencies including GCHQ, MI5 (Security Service) and MI6 (Secret Intelligence Service) have also signed a Amazon Cloud deal believed to be in the region of £1 Billion, with new Amazon data centres being built in the UK.

UK spy agencies to use Amazon Web Services to host top-secret material in the cloud - Data Center Dynamics (2021)

McLaren poised for £100m Amazon “spy centre” - Construction Enquirer News (2021)

Last edited by Brave New World; 11-06-2021 at 08:25 AM..

Old 11-06-2021, 09:04 AM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
The book was awesome, the movie was horrible. I really wish they would remake it. But big brother seems to be in Texas now with snitches telling on those who get an a abortion. If that's not big brother than I don't know what is.

Big Brother declared all fetuses to be non-persons.

Old 11-06-2021, 09:08 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,165,778 times
It is power of the ruling class going mad with spying, lying, controlling.. Sounds like today with the Biden Obama Administration.

Old 11-06-2021, 09:15 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,603,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Scott View Post
No need to read or see this...we are LIVING it. LOL
Yes we are...but the problem is, NO ONE is doing anything to stop it!!!

Everyone is just obeying and complying. LOL

When someone does try to stop it (jan 6th for example)...look at public opinion, they are seen as criminals! LOL

I think majority of people actually want to live in a 1984 world.

Old 11-06-2021, 09:16 AM

18,739 posts, read 7,613,748 times
Quote:
Not sure if the devout liberal journalists pushing Nancy Pelosi's agenda have the ability to understand the novel or the movie.
It's not whether they have the ability to understand.

It's whether they have the desire.

Old 11-06-2021, 09:53 AM

8,181 posts, read 2,793,632 times
Quote:
Exactly. And somewhere in their experience, Obama, Merrick Garland, Pelosi, Anthony Fauci, and Susan Rice decided that they are superior to other people and have every right to force others to live under terms and mandates that they decree. They should be tried for treason.
I prefer they just be deported to North Korea since they seem to like authoritarianism so much.

North Korea can keep the plane we send them in.

Old 11-06-2021, 09:56 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,596,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logiatype View Post
Yeah it's a good read but it's not the relevant book.

Animal Farm is the far better analogy and Brave New World is probably the most prescient. I think Huxley nailed exactly where we're going culturally and Orwell nails where we're going politically in Animal Farm.

Orwell could see the problems and re-tell them as a story but he couldn't understand why.
Probably because he was in a sanatorium in England for TB at the time he wrote the book. I checked the book out of the library many years ago and was reading it; got up to chapter 5, then double back to the front of the book to the chronological details. Once I understood the author I had no more interest in the book, because it was then I saw what he saw through his creative minds eye and a failing health.

Old 11-06-2021, 10:02 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,596,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
It is power of the ruling class going mad with spying, lying, controlling.. Sounds like today with the Biden Obama Administration.
And yet, in 2017, George Orwell’s ‘1984’ Is Suddenly a Best-Seller.

Old 11-06-2021, 10:12 AM

1,420 posts, read 755,147 times
The world described in 1984 is not possible thanks to instantaneous worldwide communications.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies