Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 09:36 AM

1,955 posts, read 5,266,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
So - only the government should be involved in oil exploration, drilling, and selling?
Well, we all know that state-owned oil companies have a perfect track record of clean operations.

Incidentally, who takes the state-owned oil company to task if it were to have a disaster?

Has the government ever taken itself to task, for anything?

Old 05-19-2008, 09:37 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Quote:
So - only the government should be involved in oil exploration, drilling, and selling?

Please, one person who tries to attribute statements I never made to me is MORE than enough

I never said anything remotely close to that. What I've consistently said is that if we are going to allow private companies access to public land, it should be only if it benefits the owners of that land, the public.

Old 05-19-2008, 09:38 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Please, one person who tries to attribute statements I never made to me is MORE than enough

I never said anything remotely close to that. What I've consistently said is that if we are going to allow private companies access to public land, it should be only if it benefits the owners of that land, the public.
Increase oil supply benefits the public.

Feel better now?

Old 05-19-2008, 09:40 AM

Quote:

Isn't providing oil products to the public enough benefit? What do you think they're going to do with the oil? Store it under their beds?

What other benefit could there possibly be than providing more oil to the market?

Old 05-19-2008, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Increase oil supply benefits the public.

Feel better now?

How does it benefit the public if prices don't change?

And please don't give me that simplistic supply/demand argument.

I searched Enron energy supply manipulation, about 143,000 hits in .25 seconds. They're all wrong?

What reason is there to believe there wouldn't be manipulation in the oil supply either?

No, I don't feel better now but thanks for asking

Old 05-19-2008, 09:42 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,190,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Just think, one day we might be able to just turn a crank and generate enough power to run a vehicle.

Amazon.com: Eton FR400 Self-Powered Water-Resistant AM/FM Radio with NOAA and TV-VHF (Defender): Electronics
Well if we were to fully utilize and progress our ability to use technology, there may just be a day in which a few cranks of a handle and your car will run all day. However, if we follow the direct of some in here, we will either be riding around in horse and buggies, forced into conflict with those that actually have substantial amounts of petroleum and place the nation at greater risk.

Greater point being is that most people have the vision like the attention span of a 5 year old. Its all about me, my bottom line, and what I can get out of it. Their future is the next fiscal quarter, not the next decade or generation. No concern for the future since they won't be living in it.

I guess we will all just ignore that I am in favor of drilling and further exploration and focus on the horrible suggestion I made about seeking to lessen our dependence on foreign sources.

Old 05-19-2008, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneOne View Post
Isn't providing oil products to the public enough benefit? What do you think they're going to do with the oil? Store it under their beds?
I have no problem right now buying any oil products I need.

Quote:
What other benefit could there possibly be than providing more oil to the market?

Uh gee, THAT's a tough one

Uh...............................Lower Prices?

Quote:
How does it benefit the public if prices don't change?
And how does it benefit the public to have vast tracts of land being used for absolutely nothing?

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
Private oil exploration companies should be contracted to find oil on public land and paid by the public for their services. They should never own the oil (or any other mineral wealth) found on public land. The profits derived from the difference in pumping should be owned by the public and used to reduce other public taxes.

This should also apply to other energy services, such as privately owned electric generating plants, transmission and distribution facilities.

Old 05-19-2008, 09:46 AM

Quote:
And how does it benefit the public to have vast tracts of land being used for absolutely nothing?

I guess you've never enjoyed a vacation somewhere the land was doing absolutely nothing?

You have my sympathies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies