Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2021, 10:29 AM

1,889 posts, read 1,324,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Evolution is real science but roughly half of Americans don`t believe it`s fact. It`s fact.
Evolutionary science is currently an intractable, fractious mess.

The Neo-Darwinian Synthesis failed two decades ago, the Tree of Life shortly thereafter. Both were uprooted ignominiously by developments stemming from the molecular revolution and the field has since descended into obstinate squabbling.

These are pivotal developments in biology you've probably never heard of, thanks to our popular media. They're rarely spoken of or discussed in public with the exception of nutbags like myself, and ID-proponents such as Meyer.

Last edited by Hightower72; 11-29-2021 at 11:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2021, 10:30 AM

4,195 posts, read 1,601,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rural & red View Post
Folks don't get it.

Science today, as pushed by the mainstream, is scientism. It is about faith and belief -- a cult of personality, not a methodological process of experiential validation.

anti-science today is anti-scientism, which is real science. So I'm ok if the blind call me anti-science, my life is still fine despite covid "raging on". I don't live in fear, I live in preparation (physically and spiritually).

I'm a Professional Engineer, with a masters in Science. Dr. Fauci is the tooth fairy.

dont confuse science with the "scientific establishment" ..science is simply the best available approximation of what known data tells us....and of course there are known unknowns and unknowned unknowns

Old 11-29-2021, 10:35 AM

3,648 posts, read 1,602,875 times
"When truth is evident, it is impossible for parties and factions to rise. There never has been a dispute as to whether there is daylight at noon." - Voltaire

The only way to get to truth is run valid experiments and make valid observations. Then have others run the same experiments. Random control trials are the best type of experiment. But even those can fail because there can be variables not tested for.

Old 11-29-2021, 10:42 AM

31,074 posts, read 22,086,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
It is non-scientists who have made this political, the kooks on the internet and the scam artists and (to some extent) preachers. They have deliberately made this into a political game, and they are losing that game.

The vaccinated are surviving at a much higher rate than the unvaccinated, that is indisputable. Being on the side of vaccine opposition is a losing position.

Quite frankly, we have people like Matt Gaetz and Marjorie Greene touring in places pumping up the anti-vaccine crowd ... THEY make it political.

There is blood on their hands. The scientific community has given good advice, the political hacks have done everything they could to undermine the scientific community, and way too many people are dying in the confusion.

Well, we know who is listening to the political anti-science message: Republicans mostly, they are dying in droves.
"Blood on their hands"? There have been more deaths due to COVID under this Administration than the last. So much for Democrats saving all these lives

Old 11-29-2021, 10:43 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
Scientific consensus is that the internet works, you should go to the hospital if you have a heart attack, and gravity exists. I guess you're going to log off and jump to the moon? Scientifically it's a bad idea to play in the busy street but you're welcome to do so.

Science is just describing reality, it has nothing to do with obedience or government. Government has repeatedly been downplaying science in order to convince people to consume more.
There's no need for simile, that's literally exactly what they're saying lol. Just "ignorance is bliss, don't tell me things that make me sad".
Complete cow manure.

Science does not always 'just describe reality'. Do you even understand how the hell science works? You start off with a THEORY! Having a theory doesn't mean, "oh, well, that's it then. That person's theory is now reality." Only when a theory has been proven, (which requires others to participate - others who may have different results/evidence than you), hence it would no longer be called a 'theory', is when one can say, 'that is reality'.

Most medical researchers are funded by big pharma. It's a huge conflict of interest, and has had terrible results when scientists lie about their results, in order to please big pharma.

How many times do you people need to be told this: The 'science is not settled'. Pluto was a planet. The science was settled! Oh, wait, no it isn't. The science is settled! Well, maybe it is...put Pluto back as a planet. The science is settled! Eh, no, actually, Pluto isn't a planet, take it back off. The science is settled!

Science is ongoing, any theory should always be questioned. Any study should be questioned. Results should be questioned.

THAT is science.

Saying, 'We have our results, and anyone claiming otherwise, are 'anti-science' and should not be listened to" is NOT 'science'.

Censoring what other scientists, researchers, and doctors find is NOT 'science'.

Blackballing anyone who says, 'Your data is wrong, here's our data doing the same thing' is NOT 'science'.

When you are not allowed to question anything that a scientist, researcher, or doctor has concluded, then you are not engaging in science, you are participating in theater.

Old 11-29-2021, 10:50 AM

13,601 posts, read 4,934,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rural & red View Post
Folks don't get it.

Science today, as pushed by the mainstream, is scientism. It is about faith and belief -- a cult of personality, not a methodological process of experiential validation.

anti-science today is anti-scientism, which is real science. So I'm ok if the blind call me anti-science, my life is still fine despite covid "raging on". I don't live in fear, I live in preparation (physically and spiritually).

I'm a Professional Engineer, with a masters in Science. Dr. Fauci is the tooth fairy.
You didn't mention what type of engineer you are, but let's say you're a Civil Engineer. If you told me a particular bridge could support a certain weight of truck, I would believe you. That's your expertise, that's your job.

When it comes to a viral pandemic and a vaccine, your opinion means about as much as that of my garbage man. Dr Fauci, by contrast, has an MD and 50 years of experience in immunology research. Who's the tooth fairy?

You bring up scientism. A good definition of scientism that I found is "the view that science is the best or only objective means by which society should determine normative and epistemological values." So I believe science can tell us if Covid-19 is a serious pandemic and what the safety and efficacy of the vaccine might be. What science CAN'T tell us is whether it is worth trading some measure of liberty (eg mandates) for an improvement in public health.

Old 11-29-2021, 11:03 AM

3,346 posts, read 1,269,360 times
The problem with the anti-science crowd is they don’t have any peer-reviewed research to back up their arguments on climate change or COVID/vaccine arguments. They claim there is disagreement but when you ask them for reference to research, they have nothing but cherry picked bits of info and opinion articles. And of course, broad claims of a big conspiracy. It’s pretty sad.

Old 11-29-2021, 11:04 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli34 View Post
The problem with the anti-science crowd is they don’t have any peer-reviewed research to back up their arguments on climate change or COVID/vaccine arguments. They claim there is disagreement but when you ask them for reference to research, they have nothing but cherry picked bits of info and opinion articles. And of course, broad claims of a big conspiracy. It’s pretty sad.
Prove it.

Old 11-29-2021, 11:05 AM

13,601 posts, read 4,934,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Complete cow manure.

Censoring what other scientists, researchers, and doctors find is NOT 'science'.

Blackballing anyone who says, 'Your data is wrong, here's our data doing the same thing' is NOT 'science'.

When you are not allowed to question anything that a scientist, researcher, or doctor has concluded, then you are not engaging in science, you are participating in theater.
Right, but the above is NOT happening.

This forum is FULL of posters that question what scientists have concluded. Newspapers and TV are full of people questioning the scientific conclusions. Studies have been conducted and manuscripts submitted; some have been published.

This is the myth that has been spread - that contrary information is being suppressed and censored by some nefarious establishment. Not happening.

Old 11-29-2021, 11:05 AM

16,090 posts, read 10,753,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Science isn't political.

Science is science. It is the best information we have. You can either go with it or be willfully ignorant, it is entirely up to you.
There is another option -- you can get your version of science off the Discovery channel and YouTube. That is where the real scientists hang out. If they have something really important to say they will run to YouTube.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies