Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2022, 12:33 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OP, those checkpoints are not on all the highway entrances to CA. Have you ever driven back from OR? I don't recall seeing anything like that on 5, nor, I assume, on 101. I don't think there is from Reno into the north part of the state, either. Think about it; all those people vacationing at Tahoe who drop into Reno for a little gambling fun in the evening would have to go through checkpoints to return to their rentals on the CA side? That would be a lot of traffic in the summers. It's not practical. If I'm wrong about this, feel free to correct me.

Besides, CA can't afford to set up Customs and Immigration points at all the airports, in addition to all the highway entries. They can't afford any more state pensions and worker benefits! lol. From what I read here, they can't even afford to do a decent job of staffing the DMV's, in spite of supposedly being a "wealthy" state.

Dream on.

It would be almost unimaginably disruptive to King's Beach, Crystal Bay, Stateline, and South Lake Tahoe.

Old 07-26-2022, 09:12 AM

4,031 posts, read 4,464,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
I stated this earlier in the thread, but the whole calexit movement was started by Putin and run by a guy who lived in Russia. This whole thing is Russian propaganda garbage. Debate abortion, debate Kamala's speeches where she sounds like a 1st grader, debate Biden's battles with his teleprompter, but this issue isn't even worth debating unless you love Russian propaganda.

The Russia-gate angle to Calexit is just DNC lies. Democrats are paranoid that it would cost them their electoral college votes. Regardless the movement has gone too far leftwing.

Old 07-26-2022, 09:14 AM

This post marks the end of the California Independence Movement
I brought Calexit into this world and now I will take it out

-Louis Marinelli

"It is vitally important for millions of rational, normal people living in California that that state as we know it never becomes an independent country. By rational and normal, I mean just about anyone who is not a left wing lunatic pushing a modern-day Cultural Revolution through cancel culture, critical race theory, and woke politics. In most places, that isn’t a high bar to pass. California is not most places."

"As much as I would love to see California no longer part of the United States, allowing it to secede would only allow its left wing ideology to further metastasize and kill whatever remains golden about the Golden State. Independence would unbind California from the only thing that has thus far kept it from completely deteriorating into a third world communist state. That one thing is the United States Constitution."

https://marinelli.substack.com/p/calexit-final-act

Old 07-26-2022, 09:25 AM

46,961 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Coe View Post
The Russia-gate angle to Calexit is just DNC lies.
Louis Marinelli, the guy whose organization circulated the petition, has been moving back and forth between Russia and the US for years. He's lived in Moscow, Yekaterinburg and Saint Petersburg. Weird how that fell out...

Old 07-26-2022, 09:47 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
The Russia-gate angle to Calexit is just DNC lies. Democrats are paranoid that it would cost them their electoral college votes. Regardless the movement has gone too far leftwing.
DNC lies? I don't think most people would consider National Review to be part of the DNC, but by making such a spurious claim I am starting to wonder about you.

Quote:
"He is getting some help — from the Anti-Globalization Movement of Russia, which is, depending on whom you ask, either a group that enjoys some financial backing from the Kremlin or an outright Kremlin front. It provides Marinelli with office space in Moscow, where he has opened a kind of California embassy, a cultural center whose most recent exhibition was on civil rights" https://www.nationalreview.com/2017/...serves-defeat/

Old 07-26-2022, 09:47 AM

18,160 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
Agreed. Can not happen. Will not happen. Ever. Period. End of discussion. The Central Valley Farmers and the far north hippies have one of two choices. Move. Or accept the status quo.

LA and the Bay run the state. Anyone who doesn't like it is free to move. Again. End of discussion right there.
The far North of CA is not hippies. It's farmers and ranchers. Counties like Alpine, Modoc, Lassen, Sierra et al might have a smattering of leftist types but not many. Hippyville Really starts in San Fran. Mendocino Humboldt and Trinity counties have about a 50/50 mix. The dividing line is more urban/ruraland yes the urban centers pull the strings in Sac.

It's the same most everywhere. Sure is here. Vegas (Clark county and a piece of Nye) and Washoe county (Reno /Sparks) have a stranglehold on state government. There's just not enough of us rural native Nevadans left now to take on the onslaught of CA transplants.

CA secession is just a pipe dream and the pipe is loaded with some good stuff Maynard. Regardless of what party is in power in DC even if CA did try it it would get shut down quick. Just scratching the surface CA has to many ports to many military bases and to much tax revenue for the feds to let it happen. Now the state splitting in two, N and S might could be a possibility. Not a probability but possible given a perfect storm. WA has been kicking that around for E to W and here in NV we in the N would love to split from Vegas, Matter of fact Reno/Sparks and Vegas could just become part of CA and that would be fine.

But outright secession isn't going to happen anywhere. This isn't the 1860s. There's no way states that want to secede could put together an army capable of making it stick. And even if they could the feds would just blockade then and they would starve in short order.

Old 07-26-2022, 10:18 AM

Louis Marinelli statement on Calexit:

The populist roots of the CalExit movement and why that Pandora’s Box has to be closed once and for all

"CalExit was founded during the height of the Tea Party movement and was rooted in the type of classical liberalism championed by our Founding Fathers. When making the case for California secession, CalExit first looked to the Declaration of Independence, which not only outlines the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness, but also expresses the right of the people to alter or abolish government when it fails to protect those rights. CalExit did not seek to alter the federal government but to abolish its jurisdiction over the state of California."

"In the meantime, the CalExit movement I created was left in the hands of others who allowed it to be hijacked by leftists and the woke mob."

"During my absence, the movement swung radically to the left. The California National Party, of which I was the founding chairman and author of its original platform, began purging members who refused to conform to their new leaders’ leftist ideology and autocratic tactics."

https://marinelli.substack.com/p/the...of-the-calexit

Old 07-26-2022, 10:39 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Its very far fetched. Cant happen. SCOTUS has already ruled on it. Not worth talking about.
but a ruling is not an amendment to the constitution (law of the land)

just because texas vs White, (1869), U.S. Supreme Court case in which it was held that the United States is “an indestructible union” from which no state can secede, does not mean that it is law....

if an entity can voluntarily enter into the union, then they should be able to leave voluntarily too

Old 07-26-2022, 10:43 AM

18,160 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
It would be almost unimaginably disruptive to King's Beach, Crystal Bay, Stateline, and South Lake Tahoe.
m It would be for Alpine county in the Valley as well. They depend on Carson City Gardnerville/Minden and Reno/Sparks for all of their supplies. There's no decent shipping route from the West side for places like Markleeville. And all the distrubution hubs and stores are in NV.

Old 07-26-2022, 11:33 AM

46,961 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Louis Marinelli statement on Calexit:

The populist roots of the CalExit movement and why that Pandora’s Box has to be closed once and for all

"CalExit was founded during the height of the Tea Party movement and was rooted in the type of classical liberalism championed by our Founding Fathers. When making the case for California secession, CalExit first looked to the Declaration of Independence, which not only outlines the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness, but also expresses the right of the people to alter or abolish government when it fails to protect those rights. CalExit did not seek to alter the federal government but to abolish its jurisdiction over the state of California."

"In the meantime, the CalExit movement I created was left in the hands of others who allowed it to be hijacked by leftists and the woke mob."

"During my absence, the movement swung radically to the left. The California National Party, of which I was the founding chairman and author of its original platform, began purging members who refused to conform to their new leaders’ leftist ideology and autocratic tactics."

https://marinelli.substack.com/p/the...of-the-calexit
Which has what to do with his movement receiving funds from Russia?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies