Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2021, 07:05 PM

63,917 posts, read 46,957,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Cameras for what? San Francisco mandates that everyone hide their face behind a mask when indoors?
Without video, the opportunity to convict diminishes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2021, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSgtMike View Post
So beetlejuice wants them to hire security? I'm sure there are plenty that want to be a target because when they shoot the little hood rats charges will be filed and BLM will riot, murder and burn buildings. Once that starts Brandon and the cackling clown along with the rest of you lefties will be on your knees.
Retailers are responsible for protecting their in store merchandise.

No good reason to display high end merchandise near doors and windows.

Walmart knows baby formula and diapers are common targets for thieves, regardless of the store’s location. They keep the crap in caged areas, far removed from the doors.

Old 12-08-2021, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I'm disappointed that people who are shot every weekend aren't doing more to protect themselves, like wearing bullet proof vests, driving bullet-proof cars, hiring a security guard or two, and sheltering in place.
There are about 21,000 unique blocks in Chicago with about 12,000 officers spread over 3 shifts.

Most of the shootings occur in 5/25 Police Districts. A squad car at one end of a block does not prevent a shooting at the other end. Witnesses tend not to talk. People protect their own or fear retaliation.

Most shootings are gang related. The victims are often armed too.

Old 12-08-2021, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Hey, I hear there's an 18-year-old kid from nearby Antioch with an AR, solid marksmanship, and a lot of free time on his hands.

At least previous mayors understood the practical need to protect the few parts of the city generating the revenue that keeps the rest of the city afloat. This one is a special kind of dingbat, though she didn't fall into her position from outer space. Her election, and Kim Foxx's double-digit re-election, reflects the currently prevailing mindset of the electorate. This is what they voted for, let them have it -- as long as my employer keeps letting me work from home anyway.
Smash/ grab is a relatively new and increasingly common crime throughout the US- not faced by previous mayors.

These criminals tend to be minors. And they know the potential consequences, if caught and prosecuted, will be insignificant.

Bail reform is bad, bad news, anywhere.

The county/ state is responsible for bail, prosecution, conviction and sentencing.

It boggles the mind that Foxx was re-elected. Name recognition and laziness to split a ticket….

Old 12-08-2021, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Used2BeeHere99 View Post
About time the blame is apportioned correctly, if it wasn't for greedy corporations making outlandishly expensive and highly desirable merchandise we wouldn't have these problems. I can't help but think that higher taxes and UBI would also help solve this situation.
You can’t be serious.

Old 12-08-2021, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
This the same mayor that said 99% of criticism of her was because she’s a lesbian.

She’s a real pos fits right in chicago politics but they’ll boot her next election
One would think she will be a one term mayor. Then again, Foxx was reelected.

Old 12-08-2021, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
My daughter's 5th grade art teacher's father was murdered in Lincoln Square last week. Not Englewood, not West Garfield Park. Lincoln Square. Where knock-downs sell for 400 grand.

Meanwhile, the park where my kids used to play nearly every day now has a homeless encampment that nobody wants to do anything about it because that wouldn't be "compassionate." Hey jagmuppets, you know what else isn't compassionate? Taking away one of the few safe open opaces where the neighborhood kids can gather and play, seeing how most of them don't have backyards, or if they do, it's the size of an index card with barely enough room to move around.

I'm glad I got my family out of there when I did. But I saw what was coming down the pike and didn't really have much choice. And has others have alluded before, the problem isn't just that the political leadership is horrible; the bigger problem is that the voters want it this way.
Armed robbery at 7:00 AM. There was a struggle. Victim shot and killed.

There is video.

As far as homeless encampments go, Chicago does not have nearly as many as other major cities and what it does have tends to be in parks. The homeless complain the city does not provide toilet facility. Salvation Army seems to be an enabler.

Plenty of housing alternatives and shelters.

It’s basically unemployed males in a city with far more jobs than people willing to work. Minimum wage in the city is $15/ hr. Four could easily afford to share a modest rental.

Old 12-08-2021, 08:46 PM

10,094 posts, read 5,812,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
It boggles the mind that Foxx was re-elected. Name recognition and laziness to split a ticket….
Sorry but I'm not buying the "split a ticket" excuse here. County races are partisan elections and she had a far more sane and sensible opponent in the general election. But the idiot voters would sooner vote for a sack of dog feces with a "D" scrawled on the sack than Jesus Himself as long Our Lord has an "R" next to His Holy Name.

Old 12-08-2021, 09:14 PM

79,174 posts, read 61,312,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Rahm was a good Mayor. LL is terrible and Daley was in 2 terms too long.
He tried to help cover up a police murder.

Old 12-08-2021, 09:23 PM

79,174 posts, read 61,312,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Retailers are responsible for protecting their in store merchandise.

No good reason to display high end merchandise near doors and windows.

Walmart knows baby formula and diapers are common targets for thieves, regardless of the store’s location. They keep the crap in caged areas, far removed from the doors.
That gets you called racist.

Jewelry stores have to buzz you in…imagine if these stores did that.

Basically the very people that will yell racism at anything are now saying stores need to take precautions that don’t work as they bear spray unarmed security. Precautions that would have got them protested or called racist by the mayor just a year ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies