Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2021, 12:52 PM

18,741 posts, read 7,630,780 times

Advertisements

1st and 2nd degree manslaughter, culpable negligence resulting in death?

I just caught a brief comment on TV. Were those the charges?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

11,051 posts, read 6,005,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Not when she couldn't tell the weight difference between her gun and her tazer. C'mon man, who bought that excuse.
One might imagine that in the heat of the moment, someone might actually make such a mistake. It seems unreasonable to assume that she did not deliberately shot to kill the miscreant. On the other hand, it does seem strange to an experienced gunslinger like myself, that she could have made such a mistake. Perhaps she wasn't a gun enthusiast? And she was in an extreme situation.

My point is, there is room for reasonable doubt. Reasonable doubt is all it takes for a not guilty verdict. Just the fact of being not sure. I lean toward being not sure and giving her the benefit of the doubt. It sounds like the jury members were not sure too. They should have stuck with being 'not sure' in my opinion and erred on the side of caution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
Get away from areas with Blacks. You are a target for corrupt prosecutors and juries who will convict you under threats of riots.
And then there is this aspect. One that I suspect is the real reason for the jury to have been in doubt. They were weighing up the odds between convicting an innocent person and the trouble they would get into if they didn't convict.

Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 16 days ago)

35,661 posts, read 18,021,886 times
It’s very surprising considering how apparently divided the jury was that they convicted her of everything possible. No evidence of any compromise.

Old 12-23-2021, 12:53 PM

8,638 posts, read 10,169,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaRising View Post
And people must face the consequences of those mistakes. Just like a child ..that is how one learns and grows.
Right, but criminals with intent are let free.

Old 12-23-2021, 12:54 PM

20,838 posts, read 17,127,661 times
She will be released upon appeal is my bet

Old 12-23-2021, 12:55 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,263,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaRising View Post
And people must face the consequences of those mistakes. Just like a child ..that is how one learns and grows.
Agree. The streets are safer without her policing them. There is little doubt that she was incompetent at her job.

8,079 posts, read 10,094,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
She didn't murder anyone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Not one of those jurors had the guts to stand up for Kim Potter. This society is so screwed.
Worman popped the perp at point blank range. He died. That is murder. There is no excuse which the jury could use to defend her actions.

She was trained. She failed, and by all accounts it was a mistake, but it happened.

Maybe the sentence will reflect that it could have been an accident.

But think about what she "knew" about her subject...fleeing or something from a gun charge of some sort. So there was the likelihood that he was armed. And she was scared/afraid of what he might be holding.

And she lost her cool, pulled the wrong hardware, and popped the kid. Sad situation, but not worthy of a lengthy prison term. Maybe a couple of years, a few years of community service, and then she can get on with her life.

254 posts, read 131,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Right, but criminals with intent are let free.
Yes, sometimes people like Rittenhouse do get away. But life has a way of dealing with all those who kill. I believe in a higher juror.

Old 12-23-2021, 12:56 PM

10,192 posts, read 11,177,004 times
I'm not saying, she shouldn't pay her dues for her "mistake" but 2 counts - Naw.

So many Hate Cops nowadays, Many on this forum do.

Old 12-23-2021, 12:56 PM

17,460 posts, read 14,691,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Worman popped the perp at point blank range. He died. That is murder. There is no excuse which the jury could use to defend her actions.

She was trained. She failed, and by all accounts it was a mistake, but it happened.

Maybe the sentence will reflect that it could have been an accident.

But think about what she "knew" about her subject...fleeing or something from a gun charge of some sort. So there was the likelihood that he was armed. And she was scared/afraid of what he might be holding.

And she lost her cool, pulled the wrong hardware, and popped the kid. Sad situation, but not worthy of a lengthy prison term. Maybe a couple of years, a few years of community service, and then she can get on with her life.
It's literally not murder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies