Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2021, 08:17 PM

35,703 posts, read 21,063,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenPineTree View Post
As a smoker, I disagree. My body my choice.
Ahh - do you also disagree have to be outside to smoke, or can’t smoke in restaurants (Miami is bit slack on that) or 30+ feet from a Fed bld ? I think it’s good news - but never happen here - not for a long while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2021, 09:14 PM

6,829 posts, read 2,118,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Ahh - do you also disagree have to be outside to smoke, or can’t smoke in restaurants (Miami is bit slack on that) or 30+ feet from a Fed bld ? I think it’s good news - but never happen here - not for a long while.
It depends in my home, since my partner does not smoke, out of courtesy I smoke outdoors. I have many family who smoke, when visiting them we smoke indoors.

Miami sometimes is so different from the rest of the USA, I forget completely, and when I'm at a restaurant somewhere else (outdoors ofc) I light up a cigarette and get nasty glares. And then waiter comes to me saying no smoking in the restaurant, even outdoors.

Old 12-09-2021, 09:28 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,793,632 times
New Zealand's gone full-on retard it seems. The totalitarianism is sickening.

As much as I hate secondhand smoke, I don't trust the government not to abuse its powers on matters like this. Their actions over the past two years with regards to covid have proven unequivocally that they are absolutely and utterly unworthy of any trust. In fact they deserve to be stripped of all of its powers.

Old 12-09-2021, 09:35 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,097,884 times
The Kiwis have gone too. Prohibition is a lousy solution to a minor problem. Next is black markets. Smuggling, bootlegging, etc. Hell, tobacco can be grown in a back yard for crissake.

Old 12-09-2021, 09:40 PM

831 posts, read 333,112 times
Once again we see what happens when citizens become subjects. Citizens are armed and can defend themselves from a totalitarian government, subjects are unarmed and must bend to the whims of a tyrant. Sad to see, sure smoking is bad for you but it's a personal choice. Me and my wife smoke and I am sure we could quit if we wanted to. It's a stress reliever much like our morning coffee is.

Old 12-09-2021, 11:39 PM

11,023 posts, read 5,989,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EducatedRedneck View Post
Once again we see what happens when citizens become subjects. Citizens are armed and can defend themselves from a totalitarian government, subjects are unarmed and must bend to the whims of a tyrant. Sad to see, sure smoking is bad for you but it's a personal choice. Me and my wife smoke and I am sure we could quit if we wanted to. It's a stress reliever much like our morning coffee is.
We are armed but we don't have a 2nd amendment. We have already lost our semi-autos because of a terrorist attack, killing 50 people. Don't ever let anyone take away your 2nd! And you are right - we are subjects. Don't ever let that happen to you!

We were OK with our firearm laws but then the liberals came into power. We are indeed a nanny state! It's hard to get people to stand together because as you folks know all too well, the left buys or bribes the press (and with our tax money).

I doubt there will be too much pushback on the smoking ban though. Most folks here would probably agree with it. We don't have much of a problem with smokers. They mostly respect others and smoke outdoors or down wind. Smoking is on a decline here. When I see someone smoking I am surprised because it is so rear to see that I have forgotten that it even exists. Or maybe I just have a memory problem.

Old 12-10-2021, 07:25 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Pot and meth always an option for smokers as well
"Darn. I can't buy cigarettes legally anymore, so I'll just buy METH illegally and smoke that, instead."

I don't know if you were just being sarcastic. Sarcasm is hard to detect these days since so much of the insanity we see on the internet is now actually being seriously discussed...

Old 12-10-2021, 07:26 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,603,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
It is all about the Feel Good Nanny state restricting, I mean taking care of people that are not smart enough to take care of themselves. We all know that smoking is bad for our health but people still light up but no where near the numbers they used to. Smoking will eventually die out as fewer people pick up the habit but oh well I guess NZ is trying to hurry that process along.

In my state of MA. our Governor banned menthol cigarettes in a feel good measure that has mostly affected the Black community because they preferred them. Oh well tough luck, you can still get them in NH.

As for sugary drinks and this "feel good" short sightedness. Many towns around me have banned the single use water bottles from being sold. So if you are thirsty you can still buy a soda or sugar packed fruit drink but not a plain old water. They say it was done to stop litter but what is going to happen in a few years when all the people that were not able to buy water drank soda instead? We will see an increase in obese people, diabetics and the health issues that come along with that.

Oh well. Our Government knows better than we do.
In reality, more people than ever are smoking cigarettes today...Talk to a rep from one of the tobacco companies and you will see how well cigarettes are selling today.

Its not just coincidence that practically every gas station/C store you walk into, has a huge wall of colorful cigarette packs in prominent view of the customer. LOL

Tobacco companies are doing VERY WELL today.

Old 12-10-2021, 07:29 AM

45,227 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Well if anything, the law will be great at creating a black market. People are gonna do what they want to do.

Old 12-10-2021, 07:29 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenPineTree View Post
It depends in my home, since my partner does not smoke, out of courtesy I smoke outdoors.
That's part of why I do, but also because I've smoked in my home before and the residue does discolor/damage things over time, plus the smell of stale smoke being blown through a PC or other electronic device is just awful, and that doesn't go away if you stop smoking inside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies