Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2021, 04:34 AM

73,102 posts, read 62,746,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
If only the city folk relocating to rural/small town America would do some due diligence in researching the area they are moving to.

School districts that are 97 to 98 percent white will not have much"diversity" in the marching bands participating in the local Christmas, Halloween, etc. parades. You probably won't see it riding the floats or fire trucks, either. This seems to bother some transplants, not all, but I've heard comments on occasion. We're happy if YOU'RE happy being "woke", but most of us don't care and don't need to be scolded about it.

And we don't care if you are vegan, but it's deer season...don't be indignant if your neighbor strings up the buck he or she shot on his or her porch. Ditto the many, many "Let's Go Brandon", "F**k Joe Biden", and Confederate flags you'll also find flying from porches and flag poles (this is Pennsylvania). Your neighbor, in most cases, will leave your "Black Lives Matter" sign alone.

And areas with a high Amish population are going to have a lot of horse s**t on the roads. You'll frequently find yourself behind a buggy driving very slowly in a no passing zone. Shouting profanities at them is not going to make them go out and buy a Tesla.

And pastures with cows will have manure, and it smells bad...but you get used to it.
What if you're Black moving to a rural area? That is something I tend to think about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2021, 07:13 AM

24,550 posts, read 17,303,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naicha View Post
No way, Bro.

We're coming out to You! We kow towed to the criminals hoping they'd miraculously forgive and forget but it's only made things worse. So we're taking our money and moving out to drive up your real estate prices so people and their children who actually grew up there won't even be able to afford to live in their own hometown!

That has certainly happened in my area and I would add that people fled the cities to their second homes here to hide from the Covid. If their work allows it many have chosen to stay due to the rise of crime in cities plus the lockdown mandates. Why live in the city and deal with all the traffic, noise and crime if you can't enjoy the amenities of that city?

I caught the end of the old movie "The Warriors" last night. It features a gang in NYC that is just trying to get back to their turf while other gangs are trying to kill them. It showed the streets of a dirty and dangerous NYC of 1979.

It seems the Democrats are trying to bring the cities back to that time for some reason and the good people have no choice but to flee or fall.

Old 12-14-2021, 07:21 AM

346 posts, read 230,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
What if you're Black moving to a rural area? That is something I tend to think about.
Where do you live?

Black people live in a lot of rural areas of the South. There are a lot of 70%+ black counties all around me in Southside/Central Va. We get along just fine.

Old 12-14-2021, 07:27 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,267,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rural & red View Post
Where do you live?

Black people live in a lot of rural areas of the South. There are a lot of 70%+ black counties all around me in Southside/Central Va. We get along just fine.
Is it fine if blacks moved in to the houses around your house? Not just in the next county.
Would you be ok with your county turning 70% black?

Old 12-14-2021, 07:45 AM

13,652 posts, read 4,962,881 times
Quote:
There are no Blue or Red states. There are Red states with Blue cities and suburbs.

Country citizens must block their nearest big city from encroaching on their land and destroying their way of life for cookie cutter houses, bland shopping centers and "amenities".

We need trees and forests all around us.

Now tell us again who the environmentalists are?

Certainly not the liberals who don't even know how to identify common tree species in the woods, fish, or navigate in the backcountry via a map and compass, and are so eager to bulldoze a mature growth forest for their tract subdivision home.
I don't think suburban development is exclusive to one party or the other.

Old 12-14-2021, 07:57 AM

13,652 posts, read 4,962,881 times
Quote:
There are no Blue or Red states. There are Red states with Blue cities and suburbs.

How about Vermont? The most liberal state in the country and also one of the most rural. I find liberals are often among the most anti-development individuals.

Old 12-14-2021, 08:10 AM

3,307 posts, read 1,223,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
Stacking people in ten plus story buildings if far more environmentally friendly than spreading everyone all over the place.

Suburbs aren't cities. Developers would love to build bigger but they're blocked. Too much land is zoned for single family dwellings. If people leave cities they're going to create more suburbs.
I disagree with the ten plus stories thing, but agree with the other stuff. Paris for example has achieved great rates of population density without dealing with anti-human scale high rises. I like urbanism, but can’t stand gaudy high rises. Not to mention all of the power it takes to transport water up to these buildings along with the elevators.

Old 12-14-2021, 08:21 AM

3,307 posts, read 1,223,087 times
Quote:
Where do you live?

Yea that is something that is perplexing to many people not familiar with the south. They always associate rural=white. My wife is from southside and the biggest town in her county, which is low density is 80+% black.

There seems to be not many issues with race relations down there from what I’ve seen and heard from her. There is an issue with nepotism that correlates with race(ie. Historical racism and old money ties), but that is a function of things from the past that seems to be going away. Not to mention the most racist POS people I’ve ever met were from PA, they would make a lot of people south of the mason-dixon uncomfortable with their overt racism.

Old 12-14-2021, 08:29 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,775,681 times
Quote:

Country citizens must block their nearest big city from encroaching on their land and destroying their way of life for cookie cutter houses, bland shopping centers and "amenities".

We need trees and forests all around us.

Now tell us again who the environmentalists are?

Certainly not the liberals who don't even know how to identify common tree species in the woods, fish, or navigate in the backcountry via a map and compass, and are so eager to bulldoze a mature growth forest for their tract subdivision home.
Cities are trash huh?

Tell me again how much ya'll "conservatives" love America while hating a majority of our people

Old 12-14-2021, 08:31 AM

7,103 posts, read 6,000,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
Cities are trash huh?

Tell me again how much ya'll "conservatives" love America while hating a majority of our people
Sort of like libs hating cops, white people, people who drive diesels, anti-masks, trump supporters, etc?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies