Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2021, 08:36 PM

7,359 posts, read 6,529,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
The COVID pandemic, while real, has been seized and politicized from the start by Left-leaning crypto-Fascists, whose real agenda revolves around destruction of the skepticism and questioning of authority which is a central feature of the American character; shouid it succeed, we will be reduced to just another flock of European-modeled sheep.

And some very ugly things have still been known to happen when those sheep imagine that they've grown horns, and go looking for a scapegoat.
Jury's still out on if it's real. Poor treatment protocol, combined with every hypochondriac crawling out of the woodwork can easily combine to create a "pandemic."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2021, 03:52 AM

3,349 posts, read 1,238,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Jury's still out on if it's real. Poor treatment protocol, combined with every hypochondriac crawling out of the woodwork can easily combine to create a "pandemic."
a poor treatment protocol in large part because it's so new still makes it real.
someone getting sick and dying is real whether or not the treatment protocol was good or bad.
if some new disease comes out tomorrow that kills millions of people it's a real problem and a real pandemic even if it 50 years we can cure it with a much improved "treatment protocol"

Nobody cares about hypochondriacs crawling out of the woodwork. That doesn't impact death numbers at all or hospitalization numbers in any meaningful way. What's not real is the high risk young healthy people have from covid that a lot of people pretend is there.

Old 12-15-2021, 04:05 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,590,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Cardinal View Post
Be honest, Republicans didn't like *any* of the policies from day one. Which plays a large part in the why we're still here.
No it doesn’t. Look at other parts of the world where people complied with government advice. They may have delayed the surge a bit initially, but they have big surges eventually. For example, South Korea and Germany. Even in the US with high compliance blue states like California - look at the monstrous winter surge they had about a year ago.

Once the more contagious variants, especially Delta, came around, the only countries that really suppressed the virus for a long time - 6 months or more - invoked very draconian lockdowns that would not be tolerated in a democracy. China in particular. Australia tried zero covid and it backfired spectacularly when the delta variant hit - they needed an extended full lockdown because their population had not built up any immunity. The longer this goes on, the more we see countries that had declared victory get slammed by another surge. The virus is going to do its thing. We have to learn to live with it. Get vaccinated, get a booster if you want to, and be merry. Masks and quarantines only buy time, they do not suppress the virus.

Last edited by ncole1; 12-15-2021 at 04:17 AM..

Old 12-15-2021, 09:06 AM

7,359 posts, read 6,529,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djohnslaw View Post
a poor treatment protocol in large part because it's so new still makes it real.
someone getting sick and dying is real whether or not the treatment protocol was good or bad.
if some new disease comes out tomorrow that kills millions of people it's a real problem and a real pandemic even if it 50 years we can cure it with a much improved "treatment protocol"
Nothing about this was new! Before 2020, anytime someone presented with what are now "corona symptoms" they got a steroid and an antibiotic, the steroid to fight the inflammation, and the antibiotic to keep secondary infection at bay (since steroids are immunosuppressants). Post-2020, you get told "it's probably corona, there's no treatment, hope you don't die!" Had doctors simply continued treating these same symptoms the same way they had been for DECADES, there wouldn't be nearly the deaths and hospitalizations that we ended up with. It shouldn't be any kind of shock that if you don't treat people, they'll get worse.

Quote:
Nobody cares about hypochondriacs crawling out of the woodwork. That doesn't impact death numbers at all or hospitalization numbers in any meaningful way.
It does when those hypochondriacs cough once or twice, call 911, get an ambulance, go to the hospital and take up a bed. A lot of these people are poor people in bad health anyways, and if they test positive, suddenly that's the only health condition they have and the only thing that contributed to their death!

Quote:
What's not real is the high risk young healthy people have from covid that a lot of people pretend is there.
That we can agree on.

Old 12-15-2021, 10:27 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,459,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post

Democrats just don't seem to understand that their insistence on playing stupid COVID games with people's lives is going to cost them bigly. Fine with me.
Republicans, particularly the Evangelical flat earther types (of whom there are many) are the ones playing games. Blood is on their hands.

Old 12-15-2021, 10:37 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Link: https://www.deseret.com/opinion/2021...ks-covid-biden

Democrats just don't seem to understand that their insistence on playing stupid COVID games with people's lives is going to cost them bigly. Fine with me.
Bizarre how a global pandemic has become political.

Old 12-15-2021, 10:04 PM

32,069 posts, read 15,067,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Prepare to be shocked: I voted for him too. I voted for Ehrlich the first time, but . . . well, let's just say that some of his appointments affected me in a negative manner. So I voted against him the second time around, which meant that I voted for O'Malley.
Wow, I'm shocked at you bus man. I never would have thought you'd vote for such a liberal. Of course O'Malley would win because no one liked Ehrlich. I left it blank because I knew he would win. He wasn't getting my vote though.

Old 12-15-2021, 10:40 PM

2,953 posts, read 2,901,347 times
Dems voters are in an abusive relationship with their party.

That leash isn't tied to anything, walk away at any time.

Mask, lockdowns, covid pass, re-lockdowns, wtf? Out here in freedom land haven't done jack. Still here!

Old 12-16-2021, 09:12 AM

995 posts, read 510,284 times
Here in Georgia, it's all about location, location, location. A year ago, my next door neighbor moved herself and her two boys to an exurb 40 miles out so her kids could go to school (they couldn't handle online learning) and guess what - they didn't even have to wear masks! They still don't.

But woe to the poor kids stuck in the city - mask, mask, mask - with no end in sight. They even wear them outside for recess. Thousands of city kids are struggling with academics due to them being out of school for so long.

This is true with everything else - I go shopping "in town" and everyone (but not me!) is masked-up. I go out a ways, and it's 50/50. Further out, it's almost like "what's a mask?"

However, when it comes to mandates, there are none that I'm aware of - just the edict to wear masks in government facilities, public transport, etc.

Old 12-16-2021, 09:25 AM

13,601 posts, read 4,934,489 times
Quote:
Link: https://www.deseret.com/opinion/2021...ks-covid-biden

School mask mandates are determined at the state level, and at the school board level. So if you have a problem with the policy in your school district, bring it up to your school board (which are neither Democrat or Republican) or with your state representative.

It's odd that the opinion piece you linked was from the Deseret News, a paper based in Utah. The state of Utah has a ban on mask mandates, so i don't see why readers in Utah would care what schools in other states are doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies