Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2021, 10:46 AM

3,464 posts, read 2,794,010 times

Advertisements

Many years ago, sociologist Milton Himmelfarb wrote that “Jews earn like Episcopalians, and vote like Puerto Ricans”. I notice that Indian Americans (people who immigrated from India and their descendants) often do the same. Are there some tenets in Hinduism that line up with the Democratic platform?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2021, 10:51 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,230,944 times
Nope, just brainwashed like everyone else to vote Democrat because of the fictitious notion that they support people of color while the GOP doesn’t.

Old 12-11-2021, 11:02 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,992,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Nope, just brainwashed like everyone else to vote Democrat because of the fictitious notion that they support people of color while the GOP doesn’t.
What is sad is the Democrats used people of color to get elected. They tried to use Asians as well, but that backfired. They also went after Latinos, but they didn't bite. The only group that went with it is the black community, but there are plenty of black people that know what really went on. The Democratic Party ran an entire election on race baiting and they started with the race thing against Trump 1/2 of a year before that election and that is why there were never-ending protests, riots, looting and burning. That is the blood on the Democrat's hands, but they did get control of everything at quite a cost to us all. It makes me sick and I voted for Obama twice, Clinton's and mostly all democrats all my life. Not anymore!!! WOW!!

Old 12-11-2021, 11:05 AM

45,237 posts, read 26,464,208 times
They are used to being treated like herd animals.

Old 12-11-2021, 11:16 AM

16,603 posts, read 8,622,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
Many years ago, sociologist Milton Himmelfarb wrote that “Jews earn like Episcopalians, and vote like Puerto Ricans”. I notice that Indian Americans (people who immigrated from India and their descendants) often do the same. Are there some tenets in Hinduism that line up with the Democratic platform?
I thought you meant Indians, as in feather, not dot.

The few I know seem fairly conservative, though I am not sure how they vote. However they have assimilated well, and love America. The more I think about it, one of them must have voted for Trump, as they had a bumper sticker on the car.

Old 12-11-2021, 11:20 AM

13,620 posts, read 4,937,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
That's a very strange quote. I'm still trying to figure out what "earn like Episcopalians" means.

But it shouldn't be a surprise that Indian immigrants vote more for Democrats. First of all, almost every country in Europe and Asia is more liberal than the US (except the Mideast) so it stands to reason that people from those places are more liberal than the average American. I work with people from Germany, China, India, Israel, Costa Rica, Russia and France. We don't talk politics much, but I am pretty sure the majority of them would vote Democrat.

Second, is there any question that Democrats have been more welcoming to immigrants? A lot of Republicans would like to block all immigration, end any government assistance, outlaw any languages except English; why would immigrants vote for them?

Old 12-11-2021, 11:47 AM

3,464 posts, read 2,794,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
That's a very strange quote. I'm still trying to figure out what "earn like Episcopalians" means.
The Episcopal Church was the traditional church of old-money wealthy folks.

Old 12-11-2021, 12:01 PM

12,199 posts, read 7,230,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post

But it shouldn't be a surprise that Indian immigrants vote more for Democrats. First of all, almost every country in Europe and Asia is more liberal than the US (except the Mideast) so it stands to reason that people from those places are more liberal than the average American. I work with people from Germany, China, India, Israel, Costa Rica, Russia and France. We don't talk politics much, but I am pretty sure the majority of them would vote Democrat.

Second, is there any question that Democrats have been more welcoming to immigrants? A lot of Republicans would like to block all immigration, end any government assistance, outlaw any languages except English; why would immigrants vote for them?
That is all BS. Republicans support legal immigration, you know, the type of immigration that Indians come via. It’s the illegal immigration that Democrats support that actually hurts the legal immigrants like Indians.

No one is outlawing any languages or ending government assistance. Making English officials is not outlawing other languages. More bogus claims by you Leftists.

Old 12-11-2021, 12:12 PM

1,517 posts, read 541,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
What is sad is the Democrats used people of color to get elected. They tried to use Asians as well, but that backfired. They also went after Latinos, but they didn't bite. The only group that went with it is the black community, but there are plenty of black people that know what really went on. The Democratic Party ran an entire election on race baiting and they started with the race thing against Trump 1/2 of a year before that election and that is why there were never-ending protests, riots, looting and burning. That is the blood on the Democrat's hands, but they did get control of everything at quite a cost to us all. It makes me sick and I voted for Obama twice, Clinton's and mostly all democrats all my life. Not anymore!!! WOW!!

I won't argue the Dems use race, but the other party does it as well.

The pubs suburban strategy is intended to strike fear into white suburban moms by suggesting that a person of color might be moving to their neighborhood. It's a strategy that plays into racist fears.

MAGA = Make America White Again

Please don't let your bias make you color blind.

Last edited by vegasrollingstone; 12-11-2021 at 12:12 PM.. Reason: sp

Old 12-11-2021, 12:55 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,191,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
My! I am old enough to remember what is called the 'civil rights period'. Did you see recently that Bob Dole supported the Civil Rights Act? You should understand that Reagan started his political career opposing open housing and went on to oppose the Civil Rights Act and the Voting Rights Act (which he felt was 'insulting' to Southern states). There is true racist history in conservatives suppressing the vote of some people all the way down to the current efforts.

After the Civil Rights Act was passed, those racist Dixiecrats like Strom Thurmond fled to the open arms of the GOP. Now conservative historical revisionists will try to say that Democrats started the Klan (inaccurate and irrelevant) and that MLK was a Republican (he was not).

People should now read how Jonah Goldberg, a leading conservative, has criticized the history of and continuance of racism within the ranks of Republicans and conservatives. Goldberg was roundly slammed for stating what was obvious: From civil rights to today's alt-right movements, Republicans have embraced racist ideologies. That is what causes thinking voters of color to avoid the Republican party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies