Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2022, 05:58 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
You waited 2 hours on a football field to be tested because you were curious? You wasted precious testing resources and took up limited trained personnel time because you were curious? It’s not just that you wasted 2 hours of your time, but you, along with the other “curious” people like you, made someone for whom the testing was about fever, aches, and pains stand in a football field for 2 hours feeling like living crap, perhaps struggling to breathe or not fall asleep standing up. The very people screaming for the last year about how selfish anyone was who refused to get vaccinated are putting their own selfishness on full display over this vanity testing.
Yep.

Covid-ism is affecting a lot of people. I'm not sure quite how to describe it, yet, but it includes a lot of narcissism. Those suffering from it often believe that the world revolves around them, and that it's everyone else's responsibility to keep them safe. They make ridiculous demands of other people with no information. They have surface-level understandings of things but act as though they are experts and you must do as they say. MUST.

Something's happening to the psyche of people, and it's not good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2022, 06:03 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,750,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by London Girl View Post
We need free - and readily available - lateral flow tests. So that people actually can test for contagiousness before hanging out with others. It is an absolute disgrace that this has STILL not happened in the US. Shame on Biden, shame on Trump - and their respective so-called “administrations” for not facilitating at-home testing. The price of providing free at-home tests is a lot less than the cost of people being hospitalized, people going to work sick and making their colleagues (and maybe their families sick) - effectively stalling everyday life and - by extension (for all you capitalists) - the economy. *shrug*

Everyone should be demanding free testing kits and should also be wearing a decent mask in INDOOR PUBLIC SPACES.

And yes, get vaccinated. If you won’t do that, then at least put a damn mask on - in the gas station/grocery store/airport. It’s the very least you can do. Considering that the unvaccinated are the highest percentage of covid bed fillers. And bed-blockers - for those who need beds but can’t have them because the unvaccinated are in them. And often for weeks.
I can’t believe people are testing every time they meet up with friends. This is why we have a shortage of tests. Routine, asymptomatic testing means that people with symptoms who need to determine whether they have a cold or covid can’t make that determination which potentially means they will go out with covid if it just feels like a cold. I hope the people testing routinely, essentially hoarding tests realize that this harms them as well.

Old 01-03-2022, 06:08 AM

24,636 posts, read 9,464,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Why are people looking for tests?

Who or what is requiring a home-based test result?
Home-based tests don't count. Many businesses are requiring a negative test and covid vaccine. Movie theaters, restaurants, bars, airlines, etc.

This is year 3 of COVID and the left won't give up with this nonsense.

Old 01-03-2022, 08:12 AM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Testing here (VA) got really bad with high demand and people using the hospital ERs for their testing.
We just had a new private COVID testing business open up here where they do the rapid or the PRC test for
Big $$$. I think the rapid test costs $95 and supposedly most insurances will reimburse you. Not big lines there lol
Can’t believe it’s come to that….

I have a home rapid test I bought 2 months ago but won’t use unless I have symptoms. My husband and I are retired, and I am high risk with damaged lungs from childhood (otherwise in good health), so I need to be extra careful getting COVID — we are just hunkering down until omicron burns itself out which will be hopefully fast. We are both boosted, but apparently that doesn’t do much good anymore.

I was tested last week (Covid-19 is blowing up at work).

The first clinic I tried was booked solid and wouldn't even put me on a list.

They referred me to several clinics in the area, but you had to just show up in person and hope for the best.

The second clinic I tried was taking additional patients, but I had to wait in a line just to get on the list.

After I was on the list, I waited in my car for two hours before being called in (some clinics are drive-thru only - might be a better option).

I took both tests and got the results of the quick test before I left.

My insurance covered both tests, so the only thing I lost was time.

For those without insurance, the test cost $125.00.

What a scam!

Old 01-03-2022, 08:26 AM

11,788 posts, read 5,798,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
I was tested last week (Covid-19 is blowing up at work).

The first clinic I tried was booked solid and wouldn't even put me on a list.

They referred me to several clinics in the area, but you had to just show up in person and hope for the best.

The second clinic I tried was taking additional patients, but I had to wait in a line just to get on the list.

After I was on the list, I waited in my car for two hours before being called in (some clinics are drive-thru only - might be a better option).

I took both tests and got the results of the quick test before I left.

My insurance covered both tests, so the only thing I lost was time.

For those without insurance, the test cost $125.00.

What a scam!
At least the place accepted your insurance - the drive thrus here are cash only and then they give you a receipt to submit to your insurance company.

Old 01-03-2022, 08:40 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,490,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Variable View Post
CDC guidelines for 5 days isolation is for ASYMPTOMATIC only.
So if I'm asymptomatic , why should I test?
I work sound sick people every day and have yet to get sick. I would literally have to test every other day.

Old 01-03-2022, 11:15 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Layden85 View Post
In the Chicago burbs. I drove over to a testing site during lunch and at least 30 people standing outside and the line isn’t moving. It’s cold and rainy here and sick people (not all are sick I know but some are) have to stand outside for hours? I call a local outpatient clinic that has testing. It tells you to press 2 to speak to a representative. Nobody answers. I call my primary care office. 15 callers ahead. I go online and not finding a home test anywhere.
My sister has lost her mind and is now being tested 3x day.

She is thrice vaccinated, has no symptoms and other than testing is not exposed.

Have a neighbor who bought a case of at home tests at Sam’s Club.

Lots of hoarding going on.

I have no intention of ever testing unless I get sick and have difficulty breathing and blood oxygen < 90. At that point, I will hit the ER.

Be aware some of the pop up test sites are billing your insurer as much as $200 in Admin fees associated with testing. How much your insurer pays is a variable. Nonetheless you are not responsible for the diff.

Old 01-03-2022, 11:18 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I can’t believe people are testing every time they meet up with friends. This is why we have a shortage of tests. Routine, asymptomatic testing means that people with symptoms who need to determine whether they have a cold or covid can’t make that determination which potentially means they will go out with covid if it just feels like a cold. I hope the people testing routinely, essentially hoarding tests realize that this harms them as well.
I am related to a test hoarder and am the neighbor of another. It’s become a hobby of sort.

I don’t grasp their end game.

Old 01-03-2022, 11:57 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
I have no intention of getting tested unless I know I've been exposed. Otherwise, I'm strictly limiting my contact with others right now because my 87-year-old mom is in rehab and I'd like to not contract Covid so I can continue visiting her.

Quote:
Do you gather with anyone at all without testing first? For instance do you test prior to going to the grocery store?
That's just a ridiculous question and typical of the knee-jerk nonsense that is helping to perpetuate the pandemic.

Been exposed? Quarantine and get tested after so many hours (I think it's 72 hours?). Feeling sick? Quarantine and get tested.

This isn't difficult, even for the man folks who seem to have their heads up their behinds.

Quote:
Do you test yourself after every time you come into contact with another human?
See above.

Quote:
Do you go anywhere other than work or family visits? For example, the grocery store?
Tell me how a 20-minute visit to a wide-open building with no close contact other than passing someone else in the aisle for all of 10 seconds is the same as spending a few hours in a home or office with the same group of people?

Quote:
This is a really over the top comment.
Oh, the irony ...

Quote:
It really doesn’t sound like people believe the vaccine or the masks work since they have to test so often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelinnen View Post
Why would you ever get tested for this??? It has a 99.9% survival rate
Have you read any of the responses in this thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
I am so tired and over Covid at this point but a virus does not have the capacity to care what I think. The more barriers in place to prevent transmission, the fewer chances the virus has to mutate further and become something worse than omicron again.

There’s a middle path to getting through this that’s between ‘do nothing’ and ‘hide in your basement’ and I do r know if it’s a failing of the American educational system or just stupidity that so many people believe that life can only be binary instead of nuanced.
First paragraph: Common sense, and perfectly stated.

Second paragraph: Just stupidity, with a big helping of stubbornness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
Are so many people really this stupid that they don’t understand that?
Oof, more irony. What part of "reducing transmission" are you not comprehending?

Quote:
If going out into public means you *will* get deathly ill -- as posters here keep screeching -- WHY would you ever go out??? That's idiotic. Why put yourself at risk? Since the risk is SO tremendously high?
Even vulnerable people have to earn a living. If they have to be around me, and if my wearing a mask reduces any virus that might be coming from me, so much the better.

Old 01-03-2022, 12:36 PM

15,865 posts, read 21,445,747 times
Last week, my partner and I used at home rapid tests before visiting my elderly grandmother (double vaxxed, learned she fibbed to me about being boosted when we got there) and my brother and SIL (triple vaxxed), my 5 year old niece (double vaxxed) and 2 year old nephew. We had PCR tests the week before and had only been to the grocery store in the interim. As soon as we left, my nose started to run and I started to sneeze. I didn't think much of it, and assumed it was just a cold. Then the next day, I spiked a 101 fever.

Because of the holidays, all state testing centers and most private testing centers were closed. My city only had two testing sites open - both urgent cares. I got there at 7 am and waited in the rain for an hour for them to open. I was the 7th person in line (probably 10 more people waiting in their cars with a placeholder in line) and it took more than 2 1/2 hours for them to get to me. Every person who signed in ahead of me was symptomatic. I have no idea how many people were in line behind me, but the line wrapped around the building by the time it opened, and then they sent us back to our cars to wait.

Because it was urgent care, they were able to test me for the flu and strep (which is also going around) as well. Turned out I had the flu despite being vaccinated, though given that I'm functional enough to spend all day remotely onboarding someone today, I think the vaccine certainly helped tame down symptoms. Even as mild as it was, my boyfriend was concerned that we needed to go to the hospital with how badly I was coughing and wheezing thanks to my chemo lung damage - one of the many reasons why I don't understand why people think surviving COVID is the only metric that matters.

But the reason why testing was so important is because early warning matters. If I had COVID, my grandmother's independent living facility would need to be notified to lock down anyone who had contact with my grandmother. They'd need to arrange for her food to be dropped off and other infection protocols taken. She would know to contact her doctor the second her throat so much as tickled to get a test and get access to medical intervention (and now knows to contact her doctor for tamiflu). My brother and SIL would need to know not to sent their kids to school and daycare today and they wouldn't have gone to work (their pediatrician said they were good to go if the kids had no flu symptoms and wore masks). My boyfriend would have needed to quarantine here rather than take a few extra days to make sure he didn't become symptomatic with the flu before returning to work and exposing his employees, including his elderly parents. One test could have prevented the first wave of initial exposures from going on to spread to all of their close contacts.

No one is going to quarantine for 5-10 days because they were exposed to someone who might have had covid but didn't have a positive test. Employers won't accept that, and many people wouldn't do it on their own.

Quote:
Did you read her post?

Everyone in the office is "triple-vaxxed," masked up, tests at minimum 2x a week... and has separate offices.

And you STILL think that they are at risk for COVID?

triple vaccinated

wearing masks

testing 2x a week minimum.

What level of security are you seeking> You are heading to bubble boy territory or Boo Radley territory. Never leave the house ever.

Do you not see the insanity? At all?

Aside from the myth that only an unvaccinated person can pass along the infection. That's a lie. Otherwise why would TRIPLE VACCINATED MASK WEARERS surrounded by TRIPLE VACCINATED MASK WEARERS need to be tested 2x a week?

Madness, utter and complete madness.

Coworker's 9 year old daughter is currently in the hospital with COVID. She is very seriously ill and her parents have been warned that she might not make it. She and her brother were double vaxxed, and all the adults around them are triple vaxxed. However, we all know that omicron evades the vaccine.

Please tell my former boss who has been camped out in the ICU for the past 2 weeks that the level of precautions our workplace takes is "madness." We know it didn't come from work because she never tested positive, and no one else in the office has tested positive. Unfortunately, her husband is a cop and works with the public, and they are not offering regular testing. It's clear that the lateral flow tests do not catch omicron as early as they caught delta. Maybe if his work had this level of precautions, they could have taken appropriate action sooner.

Oh but wait. The daughter had preexisting conditions so she doesn't matter. If she dies, well, she died "with" covid not "of" covid, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies