Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2021, 12:33 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
That is why people can’t find the tests in stores anymore. One person buys 10 packs which is 20 tests and others can’t even get one kit with two. Many people are hoarding like this. It hurts everyone.

You’re the second poster on cd I’ve seen who said they stocked up like this. Glad you at least gave some away.
I kept three and gave the others to my family member who works in the covid ICU here. They gave them to nurses and others that wanted them because they were visiting elderly family or have other vulnerable people in their lives. It is pretty sad that our medical workers who deal with covid every day, here at least, can't get employer provided tests.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2021, 12:43 PM

15,865 posts, read 21,445,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Why are people looking for tests?

Who or what is requiring a home-based test result?

I can't imagine people would spend time with loved ones without getting tested first to make sure they are not putting older members of the family at risk.

If they are, well I think we can safely say that "loved ones" isn't the appropriate term.

Old 12-27-2021, 12:57 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I can't imagine people would spend time with loved ones without getting tested first to make sure they are not putting older members of the family at risk.

If they are, well I think we can safely say that "loved ones" isn't the appropriate term.
Around here it seems everyone has a cold right now. With vaccinated people, they say the omicron looks very much like a cold but if covid it could be spread to vulnerable people. The rapid tests, while not perfect, are peace of mind.

Old 12-27-2021, 01:01 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,750,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I kept three and gave the others to my family member who works in the covid ICU here. They gave them to nurses and others that wanted them because they were visiting elderly family or have other vulnerable people in their lives. It is pretty sad that our medical workers who deal with covid every day, here at least, can't get employer provided tests.
That is fair and I agree, it is shameful that healthcare workers don’t have easy and free access.

Old 12-27-2021, 01:02 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,750,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post

Do you gather with anyone at all without testing first? For instance do you test prior to going to the grocery store?

Old 12-27-2021, 01:09 PM

4,960 posts, read 2,238,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Layden85 View Post
In the Chicago burbs. I drove over to a testing site during lunch and at least 30 people standing outside and the line isn’t moving. It’s cold and rainy here and sick people (not all are sick I know but some are) have to stand outside for hours? I call a local outpatient clinic that has testing. It tells you to press 2 to speak to a representative. Nobody answers. I call my primary care office. 15 callers ahead. I go online and not finding a home test anywhere.
We buy two home tests (four tests) at a time. I test twice each month just before visiting Dad. Both my daughter and I had colds last week - we were sick for 2-3 days. We each tested negative twice. But I read that the rapid home test can be problematic when testing for Omicron. The physician/author suggested that Omicron viral loads peaked and shed faster than previous variants thus requiring precise timing with rapid antigen tests.

Old 12-27-2021, 01:27 PM

3,495 posts, read 1,412,090 times
May I ask why soooo many people are running out and getting tested these days. Are THAT many people suddenly feeling sick??

Old 12-27-2021, 01:34 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,525,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
May I ask why soooo many people are running out and getting tested these days. Are THAT many people suddenly feeling sick??
Go back and read Post 8 Although it surprises me more people can't figure this out on their own

Old 12-27-2021, 01:37 PM

4,548 posts, read 2,272,518 times
My husband and I got tested today. We checked in at an urgent care in Florida and they said 4 hour wait. So we drove home and waited a few hours and then went back. We both have stuffy nose, fatigue and low grade fevers. That's it though. We only got the test because we had family coming on Wednesday and wanted to make sure.

Old 12-27-2021, 01:39 PM

984 posts, read 442,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Some people are sick.

Some people are required to have a documented test result to travel.

Some people thought they'd relax this year and go visit their 80 y/o grandma and wanted a test before they did that.
Some people are high-risk and if they do have covid, might need antibody treatment to reduce the risk of hospitalization. When you're gasping for breath and in the hospital, it's too late for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies