Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2022, 01:27 PM

11,221 posts, read 8,292,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
I actually understand science, and spent decades being involved making policy based on what the experts and the literature says. Your understanding of pseudo-science is faulty. There are ways you could correct your lack of knowledge.
In MAGA-circles, this would disqualify you from any credibility. "Making policy based on what the experts say". LOL, you can't have it both ways!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2022, 01:33 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,295,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
So Kodiak Alaska went from record cold in November to record heat in December.

This is exactly what climate scientists predicted: more extreme weather -- hot, cold, wet, or dry -- more often.
Death Valley, California, recorded the record high temp (134 F) and record low temp (15 F) in the same year (1913).

Old 01-04-2022, 01:54 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,729,940 times
Ice core samples have proven temperature anomalies that cycle from a variance of -10*C to +4*C every 80,000-100,000 years. I can't post the graph again as it's in another thread here.
Each warming trend is followed by a "rapid" decline in average temperatures and then repeats itself. We are near, or at, the next peak on the graph. Interestingly enough, the peaks of the graph are further apart now than they were for the prior 80-100K year cycle, indicating that warming was faster THEN than it is NOW.
The climate will of course change and weather events become more strong as the warmer average temperature speeds up evaporation rates, and larger temperature swings create stronger storms.
The thing is, you can fly your lear jets to Europe and whine about global warming all you want, enact carbon taxes and more regulation that is just going to make the general population more heavily taxed and controlled, and it's not going to make a lick of difference to global warming and climate change.
We're just along for the ride.

Old 01-04-2022, 01:57 PM

57,233 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
where do you people get the idea that the natural warming is slow and steady???.. really where do you get that cockamamie idea

https://energyeducation.ca/encyclope...lacial_periods

this page shows a nice graph..(cant see to get the picture to load into the post here though)
Chnages in earths orbit, axis and precession which are not sudden. They occur between 26,000 and 100,000 years causing variations in climate. Climate doesn't just suddenly warm 1 deg C, there has to be a physical phenomena that drives the change, it doesn't just happen.

Quote:
NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory

The Milankovitch cycles include:

The shape of Earth’s orbit, known as eccentricity;
The angle Earth’s axis is tilted with respect to Earth’s orbital plane, known as obliquity; and
The direction Earth’s axis of rotation is pointed, known as precession.
https://climate.nasa.gov/news/2948/m...arths-climate/
https://www.climate.gov/media/11915

Old 01-04-2022, 01:59 PM

20,758 posts, read 8,562,401 times
This is the Loony Left placeholder as the plandemic fades away. If they are so concerned about CO2 why don't they do the ultimate Virtue Signal and commit suicide for the benefit of the planet?

All talk, no action.

Old 01-04-2022, 02:29 PM

37,959 posts, read 22,134,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Well, my brother and I have had many a debate over whether or not CO2 is responsible for the warming. So I got interested and did search of other causes as he claims is the case.

Just for starters, we have La Niña and El Niño events. This past year, 2021 experienced a cooling effect caused by a La Niña event. So 2021 is only the fifth warmest year on record.
Even our scientists admit they do not know what goes into causing el nino, la nina, or polar vortexes, all they can do is monitor for them, and then predict weather accordingly. But this does not prevent the AGW enthusiasts from blaming CO2 for the weather events caused by these little understood global events.

Quote:
But that's not the argument. The argument is whether or not CO2 is the culprit. Well, since weather scientists themselves can't find anything else that could be causing the warming, what chance do you and I have? At any rate, a CO2 skeptic scientist makes the claim that weather scientists blame CO2 because they can't think of anything else.
Just like the blame human-induced CO2 for La Nina weather events.

Quote:
We know that climate change takes place naturally or rather, from natural causes and scientists can and have identified those causes. The Little Ice Age for example has been attributed to the Maunder Minimum. The cooling event in AD 536 has been attributed to a probable Krakatoa eruption which is known to have occurred - the exact date of that eruption is uncertain though but the cooling event falls within the timeframe of the eruption so it's plausible.

But our current warming? Only greenhouse gases stand out as a probable cause so far.
Except that if it were not for the modern day natural warming trends which started in the 1800s, we would not have warmed out of the LIA; we'd still be caught in it. So who is to say, since the LIA, how much warmer the planet is supposed to be warming up to? Is there a climate normal where we are supposed to be at, or did humans artificially warm us out of the LIA?

Quote:
What we do know though is that in the early days when global warming was still a prediction, predicted as a result of rising CO2 levels (plus other greenhouse gasses), it was denied and decried.
When was that, during the back-to-back El Nino events of the early 1990s?

Quote:
Then global warming became measurable and still it was denied and decried.
Because we just went thru two decades of measurable cooling. The AGW crowd referred to it as the pause, because they could not explain it.

Quote:
Then it became undeniable and the goal posts were shifted and it was denied that CO2 was the cause. No alternative has been proposed though, well other than that climate change has always been a feature and that it occurs naturally, the Little Ice Ace being sited as an example. The Great Extinction event another example cited. But those events are well understood and the causes known.

My take on it is that I would rather get warmer than colder and we are at the end of the current interglacial period. But not in my lifetime. One would think that fishing would improve with ocean level rise but in fact it won't due to acidification of the oceans so in my view, there is not benefit to rising oceans.
I too think a warmer earth is better. All we need to do is look at our own planet, and the vast majority of the animal and plant species live just a few hundreds miles in latitude above and below the equator. We can also look back at the Medieval Warming Period, which was just before the LIA. Every civilization in Europe, Asia and the Americas, on record, was thriving during those years. It's interesting to see snow melting in the mountains, only to uncover human activity that existed before the cold snows covered everything. People, animals and plants do not like a colder earth.

Here's a climate record that illustrates how we are living in a particularly cool period today. So, the question is, will the earth warm back up to the average of the past 10,000 years? If so, we have some more warming to do.

Old 01-04-2022, 02:33 PM

37,959 posts, read 22,134,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
actually it is becoming less frequent, what is becoming more frequent is the way it is reported/forcast

we have had rain deluges before in NY..and yes they have caused extreme flooding, and flooding that kills...going back a 2 centurys.... Sept. 3, 1821. In one hour the tide rose 13 feet and inundated wharves, causing the East River to meet the Hudson River across lower Manhattan as far north as Canal Street. Because flooding was concentrated in neighborhoods with far fewer homes than exist today few deaths were attributed to the storm.

btw the "rain bomb"s that hit NYC in September/October...was a Nor'easter….Just 3 weeks after Hurricane Ida, followed by another nor'easter ….a similar "row" of storms hit in 77 during the winter, and caused record snow on long island.... another row of storms hit in 96' when we had blizzard conditions (36" of snow) here on Long Island (I know because I worked snow removal at Newark (NJ) airport

btw...Urban Sprawl Is Making Big Storms More Deadly
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...climate-change

December tornadoes aren’t rare...History is replete with examples of devastating December tornadoes. a 1947 storm on New Year’s Eve in northwest Louisiana that left 18 dead...On average, about two dozen tornadoes form in the Lower 48 states each December. Most of them occur in the western Gulf Coast region and lower Mississippi Valley. Louisiana, Texas, Arkansas, Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee, the Carolinas, Kentucky, and Mississippi are particularly vulnerable. December tornadoes can be violent.

record droughts in the west??? The 1930s “Dust Bowl” drought remains the most significant drought—meteorological and agricultural—in the United States’ historical record....Between 1895 and 2010, on average, around 18% of the United States was experiencing moderate to severe drought in any given year. While recent droughts and heat waves have made news and broken records in some areas of the United States, by the size of the geographical area affected and the length of time that it persisted, the Dust Bowl era of the 1930s is still the most notable drought and extreme heat event in the U.S. historical record.

record wildfires...nope.. and they are high in California, because the California Government has done NOTHING about forest clean-up
Blaming weather events on humans, that's all these people ever do. Weather to these people equals climate.

Old 01-04-2022, 03:07 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
Quote:
I do offer proof. Climate deniers just ignore it. Happens all the time.

No, I don't expect others to prove me wrong; I expect climate deniers to prove SCIENCE wrong. And towards that end the climate deniers have failed miserably. Climate deniers have no data to back up their theories, zero proof that the planet is not warming, zero proof that extreme weather is not happening, and they resort to pseudo fake "science" featuring lots of blah blah about interglacial periods and sunspots
ok... instead of the blame game of who is right or wrong...

how about this... WHAT IS YOUR SOLUTION, be it man-made or natural...just what do you propose to do to change the climate to optimum for human-kind???

Old 01-04-2022, 03:11 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,666,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
This is the Loony Left placeholder as the plandemic fades away. If they are so concerned about CO2 why don't they do the ultimate Virtue Signal and commit suicide for the benefit of the planet?

All talk, no action.
Now that's funny.

Old 01-04-2022, 03:16 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,325,556 times
Quote:
I do offer proof. Climate deniers just ignore it. Happens all the time.

No, I don't expect others to prove me wrong; I expect climate deniers to prove SCIENCE wrong. And towards that end the climate deniers have failed miserably. Climate deniers have no data to back up their theories, zero proof that the planet is not warming, zero proof that extreme weather is not happening, and they resort to pseudo fake "science" featuring lots of blah blah about interglacial periods and sunspots
The burden of proof rests with the "global warming" zealots, who appear to be steadily losing ground, and are turning more and more to emotional "cuddly polar bear" appeals. They pretend to seek the scienrific high ground, but only so much as fits their "global warming" dictates -- anything not fitting their theology is immediately dismissed as "denial".

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 01-04-2022 at 03:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies