Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2022, 02:25 PM

27,674 posts, read 28,766,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
You shifted left on "immigration"? What does that mean? You no longer oppose illegal immigration? I'm confused.
People on the left don't oppose illegal immigration. They come up with all kinds of excuses to justify it.

They also think that flooding the United States with millions of third world miscreants is a fantastic thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2022, 07:17 PM

8,552 posts, read 4,788,365 times
Quote:
You shifted left on "immigration"? What does that mean? You no longer oppose illegal immigration? I'm confused.
No, and if I may, I’m a bit frustrated, not by you, but by the general political climate which makes people jump to extremes if you even hint at something which isn’t in some partisan orthodoxy.

This won’t be a perfect or full write-up, but I’ll try to explain. There’s a lot more required to flesh out why I got here, so this is the short answer and simply explains where I am at the current moment.

I started seeing this as a supply and demand problem. Supply of visas is short of demand. That creates a black market, meaning folks sneaking in illegally and allowing cartels to profit. So, let’s more freely grant entrance. However, under my “plan”, they would undergo significant health checks (something I regard as an important requirement for border controls, and which apparently isn’t going on), as well as good background checks. The latter is hard as documents aren’t always forthcoming, and for me, that’s basis for denial. In other words, I’d have a “shall entrance” border policy, with those two stipulations being the main reasons to deny anybody. That way, we get folks who might have otherwise snuck in documented and more traceable for whatever reasons we may need them to be.

I’d also couple many of those with a fresh visa class making them ineligible for public benefits unless they are granted permanent residence, citizenship, or have filed valid taxes for at least 5-10 years. I don’t generally care for public benefits anyway, but if those systems exist, there should be a mechanism to support the pyramid scheme before we spend it all out.

School systems are another matter entirely, but the public schools generally suck in a lot of ways anyway, so I’m not sure what the difference is. That’s actually something I should have mentioned earlier, which is that schools are one of the issues I have moved the most right on. I don’t any longer care for government schools.

Old 01-05-2022, 07:40 PM

63,061 posts, read 29,256,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
No, and if I may, I’m a bit frustrated, not by you, but by the general political climate which makes people jump to extremes if you even hint at something which isn’t in some partisan orthodoxy.

This won’t be a perfect or full write-up, but I’ll try to explain. There’s a lot more required to flesh out why I got here, so this is the short answer and simply explains where I am at the current moment.

I started seeing this as a supply and demand problem. Supply of visas is short of demand. That creates a black market, meaning folks sneaking in illegally and allowing cartels to profit. So, let’s more freely grant entrance. However, under my “plan”, they would undergo significant health checks (something I regard as an important requirement for border controls, and which apparently isn’t going on), as well as good background checks. The latter is hard as documents aren’t always forthcoming, and for me, that’s basis for denial. In other words, I’d have a “shall entrance” border policy, with those two stipulations being the main reasons to deny anybody. That way, we get folks who might have otherwise snuck in documented and more traceable for whatever reasons we may need them to be.

I’d also couple many of those with a fresh visa class making them ineligible for public benefits unless they are granted permanent residence, citizenship, or have filed valid taxes for at least 5-10 years. I don’t generally care for public benefits anyway, but if those systems exist, there should be a mechanism to support the pyramid scheme before we spend it all out.

School systems are another matter entirely, but the public schools generally suck in a lot of ways anyway, so I’m not sure what the difference is. That’s actually something I should have mentioned earlier, which is that schools are one of the issues I have moved the most right on. I don’t any longer care for government schools.
Neither demand or supply should mean increasing visas for foreigners to come and work here who are unskilled, uneducated and poor. There are far too many fast food joints and other low paying jobs in this country. If an American can't fill them then they should cease to exist.

Old 01-05-2022, 07:49 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,089,730 times
I thought of another thing.

I do agree that it “takes a village to raise a child”; however, I don’t agree that means that the government or the school board or what have you knows better than the parents.

Old 01-05-2022, 08:14 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,855,202 times
I'm on the right

I usta always vote for a democrat agricultural commissioner. The co op spent lots of money supporting them during elections. We'd do BBQ's, fund raisers with petting zoo's, pony rides, swamp buggy rides... that sort of thing. Always seemed to be on the side of the little guy and small co ops. Turns out they love big agriculture lobbyists and all their little hidden perks.

Always watch who corporate agriculture DOESN'T donate to.

For instance... big sugar donated to virtually every candidate, both repub and dems. Guess who didn't get a dime in Florida? Governor Ron DeSantis. He was the only candidate shut out of campaign money. In fact they started a PAC to run negative ads against then candidate Ron DeSantis.

**We need more people in politics who served in the military.

Old 01-05-2022, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Neither demand or supply should mean increasing visas for foreigners to come and work here who are unskilled, uneducated and poor. There are far too many fast food joints and other low paying jobs in this country. If an American can't fill them then they should cease to exist.
Well, they are here anyway and will keep coming in, doing crappy jobs. Would you rather have them documented, health tested, and background checked, or not?

Last edited by jcp123; 01-05-2022 at 11:05 PM..

Old 01-06-2022, 01:04 AM

1,014 posts, read 482,233 times
All right wing politicians are traditional views. They were born into a rich family, and don't have to change their minds. No religion can stop them too. ie. converted church person or some christians.

Old 01-06-2022, 06:51 AM

63,061 posts, read 29,256,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Well, they are here anyway and will keep coming in, doing crappy jobs. Would you rather have them documented, health tested, and background checked, or not?
They won't keep coming if there are no jobs or other perks for them, we enforce our immigration laws and secure our border.

No, they need to be deported not documented, etc. They are here in violation of our immigration laws why would you want to reward them for that? How would Americans get their jobs back? They aren't all crappy jobs. They have flooded the construction industry which use to pay a liveable wage. How do we alleviate the overcrowded conditions that they have caused if allowed to remain here and the added demand on our natural and social resources? Many have committed felony ID theft and/or tax evasion. You want to reward them for that?

Old 01-08-2022, 09:35 AM

Quote:
They won't keep coming if there are no jobs or other perks for them, we enforce our immigration laws and secure our border.

No, they need to be deported not documented, etc. They are here in violation of our immigration laws why would you want to reward them for that? How would Americans get their jobs back? They aren't all crappy jobs. They have flooded the construction industry which use to pay a liveable wage. How do we alleviate the overcrowded conditions that they have caused if allowed to remain here and the added demand on our natural and social resources? Many have committed felony ID theft and/or tax evasion. You want to reward them for that?
Well, then our basic premises are different. You don’t want them here to begin with, where my starting point is that I think immigration is a long-term strength, and I’m comfortable in immigrant neighborhoods besides.

I’ll admit that the position I put forth to you is more bench racing than anything practical and workable, but while I’d like to be more lax on immigration and approach it from a different perspective than the “average” conservative would, by no means does that actually mean supporting open borders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies