Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2022, 10:01 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,395,230 times

Advertisements

Death penalty immediately comes to mind. It's a great concept, with an unacceptable reality.

I suppose at some point in my life I thought the Supreme Court was a non-political body, who ultimately protected us from the other two branches and did the correct thing even if they had to hold their nose while casting their vote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2022, 10:05 AM

52,202 posts, read 52,636,749 times
The two quick things that jump out to me is abortion and the death penalty.

I'm still reluctantly pro-choice but I have a lot more reservations about it now than in the past, before I was like yeah, abortion, whatever, didn't give it much thought. It was just a way to get rid of a "problem"

I used to be all for the death penalty, was like, line'em up and fry'em up. When I watched Mel Gibson's The Passion of the Christ something flipped in me and now I'm not sure about it. I can't really explain it, but now I'm leaning much more toward a life in prison situation.

Old 01-04-2022, 10:06 AM

18,453 posts, read 7,083,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Say what?

Reagan, who used to be the poster boy of conservatism, would be called a leftist today by the right. Supported gun control, amnesty, grew government, raised taxes three times despite promises, etc.

Heck, just look at how Romney is treated even though he voted with Trump the vast majority of the time.

Slightest bit of compromise and you're branded a leftist/RINO.

For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

- Newton.

Old 01-04-2022, 10:11 AM

23,960 posts, read 15,066,841 times
I change my mind with new information.

AFA current issues are concerned I can't think of any. I did go from a born again Baptist conservative to moderate. Some would call be progressive.

All American citizens should have the exact same cilvil rights. All my 63 year old marriage license issued by Texas did was to form a legal partnership and declare neither has an STD. What people did in their churches is a private matter, between the congregation and the god they serve.

Some are against gay marriage. The tax laws and inheritance law favor married couples. The issue is our crazy tax laws that pick winners and losers. I'm for a flat tax on earned income. That includes all businesses. No deductions for anything ever. How we choose to live and enhance our business and private lives is not the business of government to subsidize or penalize.

I used to participate in voter registration drives. Then it occurred to me, if I have to practically tackle a person to get them to register, do I want them voting?

As a society there are specific things we all use and need. Clean air and water being the top 2. IMO, that's up to local communities and the states they are in. I have lived in towns that required the house be brought up to the current building code every time it changed hands. Why should water system be any different.

I have changed my mind about communities selling bonds to build sports stadiums. Let the owners and fans pick up the tab for their multimillion dollar stadiums and players.

I have also changed my mind about drug research. If the federal government is giving out money to fund research for a cure and/or help with disease, the university/company should reimburse the research funds before they start raking in money.

I am now almost for single payer medical care.

There were times years ago I supported some kind of gun laws. Like being semi sane to buy one . I give up. It's too late. Between the lacks law, the underground and black market why bother?

Old 01-04-2022, 10:14 AM

37,960 posts, read 22,137,721 times
Quote:
Say what?

Reagan, who used to be the poster boy of conservatism, would be called a leftist today by the right. Supported gun control, amnesty, grew government, raised taxes three times despite promises, etc.

Heck, just look at how Romney is treated even though he voted with Trump the vast majority of the time.

Slightest bit of compromise and you're branded a leftist/RINO.
Reagan would not be seen as a leftist today. Trump was comparing himself to Reagan, because he was viewed as a conservative, constitutionalist, and a patriot.

Old 01-04-2022, 10:15 AM

836 posts, read 505,873 times
I used to strongly oppose oppose a Medicare-for-all type system. I now believe we need at least some baseline universal system combined with private insurance - some kind of a hybrid system.

I also used to laugh at UBI, but I now realize going be inevitable at some point in the next 50 years.

Old 01-04-2022, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
{snip}

I used to participate in voter registration drives. Then it occurred to me, if I have to practically tackle a person to get them to register, do I want them voting?
I totally agree, I don't want uninformed ignorant voters, voting either. Those people who need a get out the vote drive, before they will vote, are so uninformed they would simply watch campaign ads and pick the candidate that lied the most convincingly, and promised the most. Even if it was you who got them interested to vote for candidate A, they'd be just as likely to blindly vote for candidate B.

Old 01-04-2022, 10:21 AM

17,305 posts, read 12,233,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Reagan would not be seen as a leftist today. Trump was comparing himself to Reagan, because he was viewed as a conservative, constitutionalist, and a patriot.

When Reagan said this alone, in support of gun control legislation, he would have been effectively ousted from today's party forever.

"no reason why on the street today a citizen should be carrying loaded weapons"

Last edited by notnamed; 01-04-2022 at 10:33 AM..

Old 01-04-2022, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestRiverTraveler View Post
I used to strongly oppose oppose a Medicare-for-all type system. I now believe we need at least some baseline universal system combined with private insurance - some kind of a hybrid system.

I also used to laugh at UBI, but I now realize going be inevitable at some point in the next 50 years.
We have Medicare, Medicaid, ObamaCare, COBRA etc... so if you wanted a hybrid health care system heavily influenced (screwed up) by government, that's what we have today

Old 01-04-2022, 10:43 AM

Quote:

When Reagan said this alone, in support of gun control legislation, he would have been effectively ousted from today's party forever.

"no reason why on the street today a citizen should be carrying loaded weapons"
Do you even know the circumstances behind that quote?

Reagan made those remarks in May 1967, when he was governor of California, in reference to an incident in which members of the Black Panther Party descended upon the state Legislature, bearing a variety of firearms. The Associated Press reported at the time that:

Asked for his reaction, the governor commented that “Americans don’t go around carrying guns with the idea they’re using them to influence other Americans. There’s no reason why on the street today a citizen should be carrying loaded weapons.” He agreed, however, with the group’s contention they have the right to bear arms. At present there is no law in California against possessing a loaded, legal gun as long as it isn’t concealed.

Reagan was opposed to people carrying a loaded weapon on the streets. This is not 1965, and you are assuming that if he were still alive today, that Reagan's views would not have changed in over fifty years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies