Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2022, 02:57 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,750,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
We absolutely have shut down schools as recently as 2019 because enough teachers were sick that they couldn't open schools. Why lie?

The flu is not as contagious, deadly, or likely to cause hospitalization as covid.
You’re talking about extremely isolated incidents and for a couple of days at most. This is very different.

The flu is more dangerous to kids than covid, especially the omicron variant. Omicron may end up being less dangerous to adults than the flu.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2022, 02:58 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,793,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
It is your problem.

Basic market dynamics means pay will have to go up to attract people. Means your taxes go up.
Tell you what. Give me my money back and close the schools permanently then. 40 years of throwing more and more money at schools and the useless school admins can't even hire enough teachers

Old 01-06-2022, 03:01 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,445,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Omicron’s symptoms are similar to a cold. No one should be out unless they are actively sick. Everyone who wants a vaccine has one. Does it work or not?

I don’t blame teachers who are sick from calling in sick but I do blame teachers who are not sick, refusing to go to work because they are scared that they might get sick.

Isn't a cold actively sick? If you have a cold, stay home! That's common sense. A residual cough is one thing, but if your nose is running, you're sneezing, and you're actively coughing then you have no business being at work.

Please tell all of the people filling your local hospital, as well as some of my friends and colleagues who are very sick (but still considered "mild") that it's just a cold.

Old 01-06-2022, 03:05 PM

Quote:
They could start by lifting the vaccine mandates that some districts imposed.

It seems that every industry is struggling with staffing shortages. Maybe we need to figure out why and where those workers went so we can solve this issue.

Maybe the schools need to ask the community why they don’t want to work for them and figure out what changes could be made to entice people to apply.

Good thing this thread is about Chicago, which does not have a mandate to be vaccinated. Where are all the fired unvaccinated teachers flocking to step in?

To entice people to apply, we'd all see our taxes increase to appropriately compensate teachers and subs in comparison to the area in which they work. Doesn't seem like there's much desire for that, despite knowing this is an issue for years. Many teachers have - and many more will find - that they can make more doing other work for less stress and for better working conditions. So they did.

Old 01-06-2022, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Isn't a cold actively sick? If you have a cold, stay home! That's common sense. A residual cough is one thing, but if your nose is running, you're sneezing, and you're actively coughing then you have no business being at work.
I didn’t say otherwise.

Quote:
Please tell all of the people filling your local hospital, as well as some of my friends and colleagues who are very sick (but still considered "mild") that it's just a cold.
Omicron wasn’t filling up hospitals. I know a lot of people who have had omicron and it has ranged from the mildest of colds to the flu in severity. Is it worth shutting down an entire school district because people MIGHT get sick?

Old 01-06-2022, 03:06 PM

Quote:
I didn’t say otherwise.

Omicron wasn’t filling up hospitals. I know a lot of people who have had omicron and it has ranged from the mildest of colds to the flu in severity. Is it worth shutting down an entire school district because people MIGHT get sick?

No, but we are talking about shutting down an entire school district because people ARE sick.

Old 01-06-2022, 03:07 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,793,632 times
Quote:
Good thing this thread is about Chicago, which does not have a mandate to be vaccinated. Where are all the fired unvaccinated teachers flocking to step in?

To entice people to apply, we'd all see our taxes increase to appropriately compensate teachers and subs in comparison to the area in which they work. Doesn't seem like there's much desire for that, despite knowing this is an issue for years. Many teachers have - and many more will find - that they can make more doing other work for less stress and for better working conditions. So they did.
Yet charter and private schools manage to hire enough teachers without the blank check that public schools have. We've been dumping more and more and more money into public schools without a commensurate improvement in outcomes and now they can't even hire enough teachers? Sorry, sounds like we need to do away with public schools altogether.

Stop shilling for incompetent, useless school administrators.

Old 01-06-2022, 03:08 PM

Quote:
I can’t help but notice that the remote vs in person thing is happening elsewhere due to staffing shortages and unions and this is the case in some districts

Quote:
The gripes of teachers are not all or even mostly about money. A lot of it is about high stakes testing and being evaluated in unfair ways based on test results.

Why not ask people what it would take for them to sign up to work in a school rather than assume it’s all because of money and throwing in the towel?

Old 01-06-2022, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
Tell you what. Give me my money back and close the schools permanently then. 40 years of throwing more and more money at schools and the useless school admins can't even hire enough teachers

Praytell - how many teachers should a school district hire to sit on standby in case a significant percentage of the existing teachers go down with a once-in-a-lifetime, incredibly contagious illness? How should we compensate these people to sit in the wings until they're needed?

On Tuesday, the Boston Public Schools was down 10% of their staff before school even started. I suspect it will be more by next week given the level of community spread. I only mention Boston because they've publicized this issue. Should the BPS and other school systems hire 10-20% more teachers than they really need? How much more are you willing to pay in taxes to make that happen?

Old 01-06-2022, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
Yet charter and private schools manage to hire enough teachers without the blank check that public schools have. We've been dumping more and more and more money into public schools without a commensurate improvement in outcomes and now they can't even hire enough teachers? Sorry, sounds like we need to do away with public schools altogether.

Stop shilling for incompetent, useless school administrators.

My coworker's daughter's religious private school is all remote for the next 3 weeks because of sick teachers. Try again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies