Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2022, 03:38 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,807,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
The rule also penalizes people when selling their personal possessions.
Holy tyrannical revenuers Batman!
No it doesn't. You only need to report personal items that you sold if they were sold for more than what you originally paid.

In your world, I could sell a stock I own for 10x what I paid for it and owe no taxes. Is that right?

None of this is new except that now you get a form generated instead of having to input everything manually based on your own bookkeeping.

Old 12-07-2022, 03:41 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,807,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I paid 12 grand for a racing bicycle and about to sell it for 2500 many years later. Am I going to report that as income? Heck no. It will be a cash transaction. The Govt got my money on the first transaction.
You would not owe taxes on this transaction because you did not make a profit.

Old 12-07-2022, 03:42 PM

6,448 posts, read 2,762,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofball86 View Post

FYI this rule has always been in place but you had to self-report if you hit the threshold now these companies have to send out the tax forms to you.
Yes this rule has been in place since 1954. But it has NOT only been the rule, the amount in 1954 was $600 and has not changed in the 60+ years since. In 2022 dollars that would be about $6,600 if this amount kept up with inflation.

https://abovethelaw.com/2021/12/the-...for-inflation/

Old 12-07-2022, 03:44 PM

4,349 posts, read 2,257,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
I'm still unclear on what the rules are for proof.

The sale will be clearly documented by the transaction service being used, but how does the seller prove the original purchase price if they don't have the receipt.

And if they don't have the receipt, is the whole transaction considered taxable?

Old 12-07-2022, 03:44 PM

6,448 posts, read 2,762,530 times
Quote:
And what if they no longer have the original receipt showing they actually took a loss? What if this was something they bought 10-15 years ago? Do you really think that the IRS will "trust" you that the loss is being reported correctly?

Old 12-07-2022, 03:46 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,756,639 times
Quote:
This doesn't set the case for the Dems that they only go after the 1 percent or wealthy tax cheats. No wonder they need those 80k extra IRS agents.
The Democrats know that there isn't enough money from the "rich" to confiscate so they will need to go after everyone to fund their fever dreams.

Old 12-07-2022, 03:46 PM

21,948 posts, read 25,322,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I paid 12 grand for a racing bicycle and about to sell it for 2500 many years later. Am I going to report that as income? Heck no. It will be a cash transaction. The Govt got my money on the first transaction.

Think about how many times a car get taxed. At some point the Govt gets more than what the car sold for new as every person buying that used car get hosed.
Which literally is no different at all than before. You were always required to report income. In this case you bought something for 12,000 and years later sold it for 2,500 so you didn't report it. Now you bought something for 12,000 and years alter sold it for 2,5000 and you are required to report that. Either way you don't pay tax as you made no income. The difference is now you're just required to report it. Before since you didn't make income you weren't required to report it.

But let's say you bought the bicycle last week for 1,200 and sold it today for 2,500. In the past you were required to report it but a number of people running businesses were not doing so. Now they're required to report the sale for 2,500. They can lie on their taxes and say they bought it last week for 12,000 rather than 1,200 last week. In effect that's what they were always doing before, lying by omission, but now they need to report it. It just makes it easier to catch people committing tax fraud is all.

Old 12-07-2022, 03:56 PM

4,500 posts, read 3,954,307 times
Just demand cash, it's the cleanest way.

Old 12-07-2022, 03:59 PM

26,110 posts, read 19,063,491 times
Quote:
No it doesn't. You only need to report personal items that you sold if they were sold for more than what you originally paid.

In your world, I could sell a stock I own for 10x what I paid for it and owe no taxes. Is that right?

None of this is new except that now you get a form generated instead of having to input everything manually based on your own bookkeeping.
Quote:
And a lot of people who will be getting those forms do not know this or will not want to go through the hassle of proving to the IRS that the item was not income. So they will just include it with everything else reported as income. The IRS knows this. They know that it will allow the government to get its greedy hands on just a bit more of the serf's earnings. The entire system is just soft slavery. You labor XXX hours of your day for the government. And now you get to pay even more taxes on hitherto non-taxed items because the hassle of getting out of paying it is just not worth the effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Which literally is no different at all than before. You were always required to report income. In this case you bought something for 12,000 and years later sold it for 2,500 so you didn't report it. Now you bought something for 12,000 and years alter sold it for 2,5000 and you are required to report that. Either way you don't pay tax as you made no income. The difference is now you're just required to report it. Before since you didn't make income you weren't required to report it.
And what happens if you don't have receipts from twenty years ago? Or bought it used from an individual who didn't give you a receipt?

The new norm is going to be just to dump your unwanted items alongside a highway somewhere and take the loss. Or burn it in your back yard and add to your carbon footprint. The government is great at creating waste. In fact, that's about all they create.

Old 12-07-2022, 04:03 PM

15,617 posts, read 7,659,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
you sell a piece of furniture, or a piece of jewelry, or any item for $600.

you are supposed to report that income, and now Paypal etal will send you the form.
You will get a 1099 for the sale(along with any other sales you make on a given platform), but once the tax forms come out, I bet there will be lines for

1099 MISC(or whatever) reported amount
Less: sale of personal items
Total to add to Adjusted Gross Income

Quote:
This doesn't set the case for the Dems that they only go after the 1 percent or wealthy tax cheats. No wonder they need those 80k extra IRS agents.
The 80k staffers are need to replace staffers that are retiring over the next 10 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
The rule also penalizes people when selling their personal possessions.
Holy tyrannical revenuers Batman!
No, it doesn't. You might get a 1099 for selling personal possessions, but there will likely be a line to subtract those amounts from the total.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
I sold a guitar during the year for $1100. That guitar was purchased NEW by me in the past for $1800. Tell me how this is considered "income"?

If the IRS thinks I'm going to pay income tax on it, they can kiss off. All they get from me is the middle finger in that case. It is NOT income. I LOST money on it. And the money I used to buy it in the first place was ALREADY TAXED. Jesus, the feds make some STUPID rules.

Exactly right.

In the above case, I didn't have much choice--it's the only time I've used Paypal all year. And when the dems ban cash, I'll use gold. And when the dems ban gold, I'll barter. And when the dems ban barter, they can just come after me, execute me and burn my home down. I'm NOT paying income tax on non-income.
You won't owe any taxes on that sale, since you didn't make a profit, and t was sale of a personal possession

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankNSense View Post
And what if they no longer have the original receipt showing they actually took a loss? What if this was something they bought 10-15 years ago? Do you really think that the IRS will "trust" you that the loss is being reported correctly?
Yes, as long as the amounts are reasonable.

You can blame this on all the people who are making a lot of money on selling stuff on eBay, driving for Uber, etc. They;'ve been bad about reporting their income correctly, and now they will have to report it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies