Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2022, 05:35 AM

43,469 posts, read 18,562,169 times

Advertisements

The government lowered the amount from $20K to $600...part of the "American Rescue Plan"...more like the Government Rescue plan.

And it will be the payment platform will send you a 1099 with your earnings to report.

I'm not sure what the payment platforms are doing to differentiate money transfers vs income.

Old 12-09-2022, 05:37 AM

43,469 posts, read 18,562,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Everyone has this wrong. Maybe it's been corrected in the dozens of pages but I'm not seeing that people understand this.

It's NOT just a single transaction. It's the TOTAL of transactions between two parties in a given tax year.

It's NOT just a single deposit or withdrawal. It's the TOTAL of transactions in/out of an account in a year.

In other words, if there's ANY chance that someone's making any money, they want to make sure they get their cut.

And you believed them when they told you those 87k new IRS agents were coming for rich people only...

Oh, and inflation will kick our asses on capital gains, too.

Fedgov is setting the stage for some very, very serious tyranny right now. Y'all should be paying attention to the big picture.
Those 87K IRS workers are for several tax changes the government made.
The gig workers are also going to get hit next year with tax changes...also part of the "American Rescue Plan".

And the majority of tax audits occur at the $75K tax bracket and below.

Old 12-09-2022, 06:47 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,154,326 times
Reminds me of the Alternative Minimum Tax. Designed to hit the wealthy but by 2017 5 million middle-class were paying it.... then 2017 that was lowered because of the tax cuts... and now we hear that when those expire in 25 over 7 million will have to pay it again..... so I don't want to hear.... "oh it'll only affect the other guy." Yea.... right.......

Old 12-09-2022, 06:48 AM

10,918 posts, read 4,656,205 times
Yall do realize the title of this thread is very misleading. And Im not the biggest Biden fan so I am not voicing support.

Old 12-09-2022, 07:25 AM

4,456 posts, read 1,737,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
I wonder how this will play out. In Missouri, you can sell produce or crafts and you don't have to collect sales tax if you are over 65. If you deal strictly in cash, there are no records. You don't need any kind of license either.
I don’t think this is an issue of collecting sales tax, but an issue of paying income tax.

If you make a cash transaction, well…… “ I di’nt see nuthin’!”

Old 12-09-2022, 07:26 AM

2,034 posts, read 1,991,760 times
I purchased many collectible vinyl records over the last 20 years on eBay and other online sites using PayPal. The prices on those items were already expensive and I purchased those items with funds that were already taxed (my net income). So now if I decide to sell those items I will be taxed again on the basis of receiving income on those sales, when in fact I purchased those said items years before with monies that was already taxed. Who keeps receipts on vinyl records they bought years ago. Very frustrating!

Old 12-09-2022, 07:28 AM

45,675 posts, read 24,114,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastphilly View Post
I purchased many collectible vinyl records over the last 20 years on eBay and other online sites using PayPal. The prices on those items were already expensive and I purchased those items with funds that were already taxed (my net income). So now if I decide to sell those items I will be taxed again on the basis of receiving income on those sales, when in fact I purchased those said items years before with monies that was already taxed. Who keeps receipts on vinyl records they bought years ago. Very frustrating!
It sounds like you have a side gig reselling vinyl?

That's a business.

That's not personal use.

Start keeping track.

If you had a brick and mortar facility where you collected and sold vinyl you would expect to pay tax...but because you do it from your home, under the table you don't want to?

Old 12-09-2022, 07:36 AM

15,605 posts, read 7,648,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Those 87K IRS workers are for several tax changes the government made.
The gig workers are also going to get hit next year with tax changes...also part of the "American Rescue Plan".

And the majority of tax audits occur at the $75K tax bracket and below.
The audits of the lower brackets are required by law to prevent EITC fraud. Or do you think that the IRS should ignore the law?

Old 12-09-2022, 07:38 AM

5,989 posts, read 2,803,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
It was made into law with the Infrastructure Bill.
That's why they also budgeted for a boatload of new IRS agents.

And if you like that one just wait until the mileage tax hits...that was also approved in the Infrastructure bill.

Biden hasn't broken his promise...he did not RAISE taxes.
He created new ones instead.
Why raise taxes when you can just inflate your way out of prior debts?

42 year high inflation is a tax. It's the most immoral tax out there because it hits the fixed income, middle class families and the poor the hardest. Biden signing the American Rescue Plan into law accelerated inflation, throwing gasoline on top of the inflation inferno.

~Thanks Joe!

Old 12-09-2022, 07:39 AM

15,605 posts, read 7,648,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastphilly View Post
You don't need receipts. All you have to do is be reasonable about the purchase price. I don't have receipts for most of our charitable contributions, and it's never been questioned. We've never been audited, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies