Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2022, 02:15 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,992,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Are you arguing that all 87,000 new IRS employees over the next 10 years will armed? That's ridiculous. How many employees do you think the IRS should have? What "garbage" legislation are you talking about?
The right especially the far right do not give a damn about facts. They ignore facts when it doesn't go with their anti-authority narrative. I'm sick and tired of having to call it out. It is disgusting how dishonest people are willing to be. Of course some of the IRS hires will be armed agents but nowhere nearly will it be ALL 87k hires and not are the 87k hires "expanding the FBi" unless you argue that the IRS is big enough without them, which is debatable to an extent. For whatever reason the IRS has always been looked upon negatively across party lines. The hatred of the right has only gotten bigger in years.

Old 12-11-2022, 02:17 PM

15,617 posts, read 7,653,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
They already do pay taxes on the purchase of items, material if they are making stuff, etc. I wouldn't further burden someone who is making 18K a year with even more taxes. That's barely surviving in the USA. I thought we favored progressive tax structures here in America? Seems Biden is focused on hassling people making small potatoes, probably because it's easier than going after the rich, corporations, etc. Biden's too old for a real fight so he just goes after the downtrodden instead.

We all know democrats are embarrassed by the poor and would like them out of the way for good. Whenever they come to a liberal city to speak, they always make sure to do a thorough job moving all the homeless out of sight and out of mind. Then they receive huge payments/wealth transfers to lecture everyone about how democrats are so wonderful and benevolent and are here to do wonderful things for the poor. What a bunch of frauds.
Someone making $18k isn't paying much in taxes at all. Someone making $75k from a day job and $18k from their currently tax free side hustle needs to pay the taxes on their profits at whatever rate their marginal bracket is. Why is that so hard to understand?

My college going kid made about $5,000 over the Summer working in a restaurant. He will get a W-2 for that. Why shouldn't a DoorDash driver who made $5,000 over the same period get a 1099?

Old 12-11-2022, 02:20 PM

43,478 posts, read 18,573,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
The law did not change, the only thing that changed is that if you had income you will receive a 1099. What I find curious is that many people in this thread (and I'm not directing this at you) have done a lot of pearl clutching over "illegals" working under the table and not paying taxes on their income but it seems that some folks suddenly have become very sympathetic to gig workers and folks with ebay stores who now have to pay taxes that they should have been paying all along.
Yes it did. It went from $20K to $600.

A new tax law going into effect on 1/1/2023.
Part of the " American Rescue Plan Act of 2021"

A tax to "rescue" Americans...how do you like that ?

https://www.cnbc.com/select/irs-amer...ust-report-it/

Old 12-11-2022, 02:26 PM

19,754 posts, read 10,195,731 times
Quote:
Did you write those tools off as business expenses, either all at once or through depreciation? If you did, then you have always owed income taxes on used tool sales.

Even if you pay tax on selling the tools, you still have more cash in your pocket than before the sale.
As bad as inflation is with Biden I might need all the money to pay bills. And no they were not written off as a business expense. They were bought over many years,

10,098 posts, read 5,765,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
The law did not change, the only thing that changed is that if you had income you will receive a 1099. What I find curious is that many people in this thread (and I'm not directing this at you) have done a lot of pearl clutching over "illegals" working under the table and not paying taxes on their income but it seems that some folks suddenly have become very sympathetic to gig workers and folks with ebay stores who now have to pay taxes that they should have been paying all along.
No, we are just sympathetic to the struggling familes who sell a few things out of their home at a LOSS I repeat LOSS who will now have to deal with a scary new confusing tax form. The law did change. It swept up these kind of people who in no way owe taxes but now have to report it.

38,936 posts, read 23,992,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
They already do pay taxes on the purchase of items, material if they are making stuff, etc. I wouldn't further burden someone who is making 18K a year with even more taxes. That's barely surviving in the USA. I thought we favored progressive tax structures here in America? Seems Biden is focused on hassling people making small potatoes, probably because it's easier than going after the rich, corporations, etc. Biden's too old for a real fight so he just goes after the downtrodden instead.

We all know democrats are embarrassed by the poor and would like them out of the way for good. Whenever they come to a liberal city to speak, they always make sure to do a thorough job moving all the homeless out of sight and out of mind. Then they receive huge payments/wealth transfers to lecture everyone about how democrats are so wonderful and benevolent and are here to do wonderful things for the poor. What a bunch of frauds.
We ALL pay taxes on good and services we buy. That is whether your income is wage, salary, drug deals, welfare, Aocial Security, stocks or whatever. Stop being ignorant. Now unless you want to argue we shouldn't pay those taxes or we should go to a national sales (regressive) tax, kick sand.

Quote:
Someone making $18k isn't paying much in taxes at all. Someone making $75k from a day job and $18k from their currently tax free side hustle needs to pay the taxes on their profits at whatever rate their marginal bracket is. Why is that so hard to understand?

My college going kid made about $5,000 over the Summer working in a restaurant. He will get a W-2 for that. Why shouldn't a DoorDash driver who made $5,000 over the same period get a 1099?
They don't understand that side of it. They are too duh into their right wing anti-authority BS to see the forest from the trees.

Old 12-11-2022, 02:29 PM

42,880 posts, read 26,465,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Yes it did. It went from $20K to $600.

A new tax law going into effect on 1/1/2023.
Part of the " American Rescue Plan Act of 2021"

A tax to "rescue" Americans...how do you like that ?

https://www.cnbc.com/select/irs-amer...ust-report-it/
That's incorrect. "These earnings were already taxable so this is not a change in tax law, but rather just a reporting change" https://www.cnbc.com/select/irs-amer...ust-report-it/

I am not sure why you would think that it was ever ok to make 19k working at DoorDash and not report it because it was under 20k? It's always been taxable. As far as ebay sellers, if it's that big of a deal I would suggest that they sell for cash only on Facebook marketplace or another similar venue.

Old 12-11-2022, 02:31 PM

19,754 posts, read 10,195,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
We ALL pay taxes on good and services we buy. That is whether your income is wage, salary, drug deals, welfare, Aocial Security, stocks or whatever. Stop being ignorant. Now unless you want to argue we shouldn't pay those taxes or we should go to a national sales (regressive) tax, kick sand.

They don't understand that side of it. They are too duh into their right wing anti-authority BS to see the forest from the trees.
No one is saying that someone with a side gig should not pay taxes. This law will will punish someone selling personal items to buy food.

Old 12-11-2022, 02:45 PM

42,880 posts, read 26,465,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
No, we are just sympathetic to the struggling familes who sell a few things out of their home at a LOSS I repeat LOSS who will now have to deal with a scary new confusing tax form. The law did change. It swept up these kind of people who in no way owe taxes but now have to report it.
Basically you are saying that for some reason those sales never should have been taxable? I guess there's an argument to be made for that, but the law has always said otherwise and it hasn't changed. Just because IRS didn't send you a 1099 didn't mean you didn't own tax. What if your employer doesn't send you a W-2, does that mean you don't owe tax on your wages?

Several years ago I sold a lot of stuff on Ebay, but after taking advantage of available deductions (there are a ton of them) there were some years where I didn't owe anything.

Old 12-11-2022, 02:54 PM

131,125 posts, read 12,250,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
Do not know where you are. $600 has been the number for reporting income as long as I have been working.

Agreed, that rule has been in place for at least 25 years already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies