Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Home Mail Delivery Options
Keep Delivery Schedule as is 29 47.54%
Go to 3 times per week 19 31.15%
Go to Twice per week 11 18.03%
Some other system 2 3.28%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2022, 02:15 PM

12,391 posts, read 8,161,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Keep package delivery as is. That is probably where most of the money making is for the post office.
Except for January and February of 2020, when the service caught up from the previous Christmas rush that is what has been going on since November of 2019. Since March of 2020 forward delivery units have been at a Christmas time tempo of operations and due to retirements and injuries without replacements available healthy carriers have dwindled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2022, 02:48 PM

4,330 posts, read 7,240,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Is de Joy still in charge? Or did they manage to get him out? He is the cause of slow mail in the past few years.
DeJoy has only been at the helm of the Postal Service for a year and a half. He was appointed to the post by the Postal Board of Governors, and it would be up to the Postal Board of Governors to terminate him.

Service reductions and delayed/erratic deliveries, were a problem long before DeJoy entered the picture.

Old 01-09-2022, 02:57 PM

9,375 posts, read 6,984,194 times
2x per week.. are they laying off govt employees and thinning the fat?

If so I'm all for it!

Old 01-09-2022, 02:59 PM

5,222 posts, read 3,019,204 times
Id be fine with it being once a week. If you need a letter or package delivered sooner then that then you pay more.

But, if you they went to once a week then the cost of postage better come down to reflect it.

Old 01-09-2022, 03:03 PM

4,330 posts, read 7,240,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
We used to have a designated Mail Drop at post offices for Local Mail - they did away with that years ago. Now -- every Residential Address in my City must have a Street Box for mail delivery OR a Central Box System for Multi-Unit housing. No more walking the block to deliver mail - that still happens in Blue Urban centers like Washington D.C., Baltimore & Boston - I'm sure there are others, but those are the ones I've been to and see mail and the door, not at the street.
I live in a large city, and the only door-to-door residential mail delivery I know of would be older (pre-1960) developments. Otherwise, curbside boxes and cluster boxes are the norm. I would say most post-1980 developments have cluster boxes.

As for the blue mail drop boxes, many have been removed over the last 20 or so years. Existing ones have been cut back to one collection per day, with possible exception of the ones outside the Post Office. Sunday & Holiday collections were eliminated years ago. I haven't seen a blue drop box in a residential area in years years. The remaining ones are mostly outside office buildings, post offices, or retail centers.

Old 01-09-2022, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
2x per week.. are they laying off govt employees and thinning the fat?

If so I'm all for it!
Postal workers are not government employees even if the federal government administers their retirement benefits and accept the time served if they should become a federal employee in an agency. Over the past 25 years the USPS has gone from over 750,000 to under 500,000 and now they no longer have the staff to insure 6 delivery days per week to every address in the nation.

Congress might demand that level of service but the only way to get it is to draft people and force them to carry mail or for the United States to provide the money so the postal service can pay a rate that will entice the workforce to carry letters and parcels for the postal service rather than for Uber or the local Amazon contractor.

Old 01-09-2022, 03:16 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,054,665 times
I would be perfectly happy with delivery only 2-3 times/week. I would actually be fine with a once/week delivery. Typical mail is not that important that a day or two delay is going to be a problem.

For time sensitive things, the sender can use some sort of special delivery. That might be UPS or Fedex, or simply priority mail and have a person run a priority mail only route. There are lots of alternatives, I don't need USPS to delivery my junk mail every day.

People should stop whining about the cost, it is irrelevant. I had to look it up because I have not mailed a letter in over a decade, and a letter is only $0.58. I wouldn't care if the cost of postage went to a dollar a letter.

Old 01-09-2022, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
DeJoy has only been at the helm of the Postal Service for a year and a half. He was appointed to the post by the Postal Board of Governors, and it would be up to the Postal Board of Governors to terminate him.

Service reductions and delayed/erratic deliveries, were a problem long before DeJoy entered the picture.
The sin was proposing the looser standards during the election year. When nothing about flying letters across the country or no longer holding trucks for the last piece thus making everything down for the line below the truck late would have effected the local pickup and delivery of ballots.

And since it became political the political folks got it in their minds that if the Postmaster General had (D) attached to her name then if by magic enough carriers would appear to deliver to every address every day in high cost of living areas. And carriers delivering at 9:00 PM because the truck was held still delivered on time today. That airliners would put more planes in the air to carry mail without passengers and people would stop mailing parcels requiring carriers to break off the delivering of letters to deliver parcels because there might be livestock or medications for our veterans contained in them. All because D instead or R attached to a name is magic.

Old 01-09-2022, 04:49 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,794,636 times
No. Keep the delivery schedule and delivery standards as they are, and MAKE THEM FIGURE IT OUT. USPoS needs to get its **** together or be privatized or shut down.

In fact, mail delivery should go back to 6 days. If they can't figure out how to do it right.....see above^. Prepare to be privatized.

I no longer mail anything by First Class Mail if I plan on it getting there in a reasonable timeframe. Anything I MUST get out on time goes via FedEx.

Old 01-09-2022, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
No. Keep the delivery schedule and delivery standards as they are, and MAKE THEM FIGURE IT OUT. USPoS needs to get its **** together or be privatized or shut down.

In fact, mail delivery should go back to 6 days. If they can't figure out how to do it right.....see above^. Prepare to be privatized.

I no longer mail anything by First Class Mail if I plan on it getting there in a reasonable timeframe. Anything I MUST get out on time goes via FedEx.
I'm prepared, who are you prepared to pay? The only way to force people to work is the draft, and that is the opposite of privatization.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies