Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2022, 10:00 AM

26,432 posts, read 46,638,115 times

Advertisements

I'm very glad I don't have to pay sales tax on grocery food items. That exists in some VERY BACKWARD states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2022, 10:05 AM

7,736 posts, read 4,995,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I'm very glad I don't have to pay sales tax on grocery food items. That exists in some VERY BACKWARD states.
Amen to that! I was in shock when I moved to Texas from Illinois and noticed no tax on prepared foods.

Old 01-13-2022, 10:32 AM

13,388 posts, read 6,450,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinaggie View Post
I live in Texas and I have seen snow. A lot of it last year actually. And if winter storms are affecting us here like this now, why didn’t they affect us like this before?
I don't know about TX, but DC and NOVA are a mess when it snows enough to shut things down. They have little equipment and/or experience clearing large amounts of snow and it takes them days to get back to normal.

Most of the pics in the link were from DC. I can totally see the storm they had impacting grocery stores on top of any other issues.

Old 01-13-2022, 10:34 AM

26,432 posts, read 46,638,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
Amen to that! I was in shock when I moved to Texas from Illinois and noticed no tax on prepared foods.
Here are more details on it:
https://www.cbpp.org/research/state-...hould-consider

Old 01-13-2022, 10:43 AM

13,388 posts, read 6,450,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I am in central Florida. The store I shop has shortages of toilet paper, paper towels, bottled water and cat food. Also random items like certain candy and seafood. Overall things aren't too bad .....yet. I hope it doesn't get worse but I fear it will.
Same.....I'm in central FL and not so bad yet. Publix I order from was totally out of fresh chicken. The shopper said they didn't get their expected delivery. But, they had frozen chicken breasts and rotisserie chickens a plenty so I just subbed that.

Of about 50 items I was able to get most everything except five or six substitutions for other brands or different sizes.

Wasn't buying paper products this week so not sure how that was.

The shopper was pleased with himself and we had some chit chat about people being in a panic. He said the store was "ugly" lol.

On the other hand, my sis and mom shop at a different store on the other side of town and sis went to 3 stores to find everything she wanted. She is probably more picky and more determined than I am. I would eat out of my pantry/freezer before dealing with 3 stores.

Old 01-13-2022, 10:44 AM

25,838 posts, read 18,870,148 times
What's so shocking about it? Look at the imbeciles running the country and think about it.

Old 01-13-2022, 10:53 AM

3,405 posts, read 2,740,041 times
Last Thursday I went to the store. No bread, no milk, no orange juice, no sausage except that meatless crap. 80% of the fruits and veggies were gone. Most of the pasta was gone. Meat counter was also 3/4 empty, mostly super-high priced organic pork and chicken was all that was left. We dug through the freezer at home and found some chicken, fried some zuchini, and were able to piece a meal together. Our Costco was short on a lot of goods and said they were 24 truckloads behind/delayed. Its a combination of Covid, truck driver shortages, and snowy weather/flooding.

Old 01-13-2022, 10:56 AM

25,838 posts, read 18,870,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
Last Thursday I went to the store. No bread, no milk, no orange juice, no sausage except that meatless crap. 80% of the fruits and veggies were gone. Most of the pasta was gone. Meat counter was also 3/4 empty, mostly super-high priced organic pork and chicken left. Our Costco was short on a lot of goods and said they were 24 truckloads behind/delayed. Its a combination of Covid, truck driver shortages, and snowy weather.
Man, I know. This is the first time we've ever seen snow in the United States. It's crazy.

Old 01-13-2022, 11:00 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,674,237 times
Well I just went out to the store (DC suburb) at lunch and both stores I went to were stock up fully with just about everything. Wegman's was short on romaine lettuce so that was a fail. Otherwise it looks like they've all finally recovered from the snow-apocolypse from last week. Whatever will they rage about on the news now?

Old 01-13-2022, 11:05 AM

45,456 posts, read 60,680,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Well I just went out to the store (DC suburb) at lunch and both stores I went to were stock up fully with just about everything. Wegman's was short on romaine lettuce so that was a fail. Otherwise it looks like they've all finally recovered from the snow-apocolypse from last week. Whatever will they rage about on the news now?
I just got back from the store(s) on the other side of the river.

Giant was out of milk/cream/half and half, coffee creamer, liquid eggs, all juices (there was one 1/2 gallon carton of red grapefruit juice), all leafy greens, all ground meat except meatloaf mix, chicken breasts, most pasta, most frozen food, most butter and butter substitutes, various cheeses, cereals were sparse, coffee filters.

What I couldn't get there I was able to get at Safeway, but they were out of different items.

Now, both stores may have been out of other things but I just looked for what I was buying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies