Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2022, 12:07 PM

12,045 posts, read 6,593,254 times

Advertisements

Are any of you seeing empty grocery shelves?
On the news today they showed some of the shelves in Trader Joes and Wegmans that were really empty.
I think this was in D.C. or in Delaware.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2022, 12:09 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,599,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
I can't say I'm surprised, our grocery bill is now basically double from a year ago. If anything inflation is massively undercounted and manipulated, if you compare the same items from the 1970's inflation is much much more than 7%

December Consumer Price Index Rises 7%
https://www.cnbc.com/2022/01/12/cpi-december-2021-.html
I am of the opinion that people need to enjoy the cow pie sandwich they voted for.

Devaluation of our currency or inflation is 100% the government's doing.

So, you voted for the Democrats, and now enjoy it!!! I am rolling on the ground laughing at you guys.

Old 01-12-2022, 12:11 PM

19,887 posts, read 9,437,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
I am on temporary Disability insurance to end very soon, my company has no place to put me in going back, there will be zero income like starting now.
Before I had surgery everything was planned going well, money in the bank and paying the mortgage down fast.

With the inflation it has zapped the 66% of wages I was getting in disability and killed us.
I can't even begin to tell you how sorry I was to read this!

So what are your plans -- and what kind of help will you be getting? (And if you don't get at least some help from the government, that would be, in my opinion, absolutely disgusting. Any government that cares more about those people who are here illegally than it does about those citizens who had been working until bad luck kicked in deserves to be . . . well, I won't say it, but I think most people can make a very good guess about what I am too cowardly to say.)

Last edited by katharsis; 01-12-2022 at 12:45 PM..

Old 01-12-2022, 12:12 PM

10,150 posts, read 7,816,826 times
I absolutely hate Joe Biden with a passion. He is the worst. He's even anti-America. I can't believe this scum bucket is leading our country.

Prices in the grocery stores are just jaw dropping. I miss Trump so much!

We will get rid of this horrible administration come 2024 even if we're all in a deep depression. This idiot has proven to be the worst ever.

Trump is the one to bring it back.

Last edited by diddlydudette; 01-12-2022 at 12:41 PM..

Old 01-12-2022, 12:12 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,952,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I don't like saying this because inflation is hurting most people, I think, but this might be a blessing in disguise if nothing changes between now and November 1. The mid-term elections are exactly 300 days from today (on November 8), and I think and hope that moderates will overwhelmingly be voting for Republicans this year unless things significantly improve. (And I am not just talking about inflation, either.)
That is a disgusting attitude to have and part of the reason why we are so partisan. This right here is an example of party over country. Why do want people just to suffer so we can have the corrupt Republicans say they'll do things differently but never change and act as an abusive partner? Sorry, I'm not saying Democrats are perfect (far from it, except Sinema) but the Republicans especially ones I can vote for are total scum.

Old 01-12-2022, 12:15 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,952,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Are any of you seeing empty grocery shelves?
On the news today they showed some of the shelves in Trader Joes and Wegmans that were really empty.
I think this was in D.C. or in Delaware.
Blame that on the quarantine policies of the businesses or the CDC itself. Many schools are debating how they can stay open with the amount of sick calls. Besides the Chicago situation, many schools that are closing are doing so because they hit below critical levels of staff for that campus which is typically less than half.

Old 01-12-2022, 12:15 PM

19,887 posts, read 9,437,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
That is a disgusting attitude to have and part of the reason why we are so partisan. This right here is an example of party over country. Why do want people just to suffer so we can have the corrupt Republicans say they'll do things differently but never change and act as an abusive partner? Sorry, I'm not saying Democrats are perfect (far from it, except Sinema) but the Republicans especially ones I can vote for are total scum.
So please explain why you think it is wrong for anyone to think that citizens should be favored over non-citizens when it comes to benefits that are funded by taxes.

Old 01-12-2022, 12:21 PM

34,262 posts, read 18,638,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tolovefromANFIELD View Post
Prices were going up under Trump too. Come on. Let's be a bit realistic. Not that the perpetually dazed and confused Biden is any better, but Presidents get a bit too much credit and blame for the economy either way.

The moral of the story is, centrally planned economy, or anything for that matter, doesn't work.
Please cite the rates of inflation under Trump vs Xi. Big difference. Fed policy, tax policy, ENERGY POLICY, rhetoric, etc all effect inflation. Sometimes greatly like now.

Old 01-12-2022, 12:28 PM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,074,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Please cite the rates of inflation under Trump vs Xi. Big difference. Fed policy, tax policy, ENERGY POLICY, rhetoric, etc all effect inflation. Sometimes greatly like now.
Inflation is a laggard metric. But we weren't printing money under Trump during Covid? Small business, unemployment extensions, foreclosures moratorium, student loan, airline bailouts, etc? None of that was going on under Trump? Powell wasn't Trump's Fed Sec?

Is that what you're saying? Furthermore, you're saying none of that contributed to the current inflation readings?

Old 01-12-2022, 12:50 PM

29,606 posts, read 14,737,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
try buying a used truck. used cars are skyrocketing.

i can barely get 30% fatburger for 3.50 a pound.

OTOH, some things haven't risen that much at all at least in my area. chicken, eggs, and dairy are all still reasonable.
beef, pork, produce, everything else is up, sometimes WAY up.
I know. I'm thinking about selling my 3 year old 27k mile truck, and ordering something new. The only think stopping me is not knowing when I'd be able to take delivery of the new one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies