Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2022, 06:11 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,797,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny_Silverhand View Post
Of course not. But if, for example, when we got stimulus checks, my neighbor buys a new iPhone.

It's none of my business.
So your answer is to give your neighbor another stimulus check. Yeah that's going to work.

Einstein had a word for something like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2022, 06:12 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,780,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
The most irritating part is that these child tax credits go to illegal alien parents to.

"The Treasury Department’s Office of Inspector General has said $4.2 billion in child tax credits were given to illegal immigrants".

https://amac.us/dems-block-gop-bills...al-immigrants/

As usual it was the Democrats that didn't want to block these tax credits to illegal aliens.
Your link is dated 2014.

Republicans controlled both the Senate and House between 2015-2019. If there was a sincere intent to make EVerify a federal requirement, why did it not happen?

You do realize, don’t you, that both parties purposely introduce bills when in the minority, to create political spectacles, when the majority party won’t play ball.

Old 01-16-2022, 06:13 PM

30,653 posts, read 18,263,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Generally speaking, poor people tend to have more children than high income earners.

Generally speaking, the birth rate is the highest in countries that have no welfare/ safety net and the lowest in those countries with welfare/ safety nets.

The birthrate in a few townships in NJ and NY rival that of Nigeria. They are amongst the poorest communities in the US. Welfare is a way of life as males tend to study rather than work or if they work it is low paying jobs.

These communities vote as a block and generally favor the Republican ticket.

A typical household with 10 children ( not unusual) received about $31,000 in combined tax free Stimulus payments, plus about $ 20,000 in temporary Advance Payments of the Child Tax Credits. These payments had no impact on the household eligibility for TANF, SNAP, Housing/ Utility subsidies, Medicaid, etc.
While I don't disagree with what you wrote generally, how representative are these "townships" in NJ and NY? I suspect you're referring to certain Hassidic Jewish enclaves.

But, looking outside of that, blacks seem to have pretty high birthrates in the US among racial groups, and blacks essentially vote as a block for Democrats: https://www.statista.com/statistics/...and-ethnicity/

Old 01-16-2022, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Waltz View Post
Is this the child tax credit that people don't realize will come out of their tax return at the end of the year?
Yes. It will reduce the value of the credit by 50% for 2021 filings.

Old 01-16-2022, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingaround12345 View Post
Mandate sterilization for deadbeat parents. If you refuse no more money. Also take away the right to vote if you can't support yourself. If you wish to vote you must get off the dole for 6 months and then you can apply again. The thing is these type of parents are the worst role models out there.
That pesky Constitution gets in the way.

Old 01-16-2022, 06:20 PM

8,609 posts, read 2,312,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
There are millions of grandparents, one or both, who are in situations of raising their grandchildren usually due to drug addiction of their own child. Depending on the age and income of the grandparent (s) they may qualify for TANF with no work requirement, SNAP and the refundable Child Tax Credit, now reverted back to $2000 per child. They may also qualify for rent and/ or utility subsidies.
millions you say. Huh. There's ~ 80MM households with kids total. Shockingly, by a variety of actions, we've allowed it to get where > 1/2 half are single-female.

Old 01-16-2022, 06:26 PM

15,460 posts, read 7,516,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
Maybe you should cut them a check since you seem so insistent that they should be subsidized at someone else's expense.

Are you saying the parents in this article decided to have two kids on the back of a tax credit that didn't exist and will not exist?
I didn't say any such thing. You said people should pay for their own kids, like the couple in the story were leeches, or something. The people in the article are GRANDPARENTS who took on the kids, because the parents are drug addicts that can't take care of children. The grandparents appear to be doing the best they can to give the children a decent life, despite having parents that are not capable of raising them. The grandparents will probably get by without the tax credit, but it's the kids who suffer. What do you think the grandparents ought to do when the parents of the children are drug addicts?

Old 01-16-2022, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Being pro-life, anti-abortion is not a conflict with expecting people to take care of their own kids or don't get pregnant in the first place.
Did you even notice the people in the story are GRANDPARENTS who took over raising the kids because the parents are drug addicts?

Old 01-16-2022, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Gotta hand it to liberals. They're preachy because they think pro-life means people should have as many children as they'd like and the rest of us will pay for them.

By the way...what makes you think those in poverty are the ones having abortions?
49% of women having abortions live below the Federal poverty line. Another 25% are living on 101-199% of the Federal poverty level. That pretty much makes poor women the majority of women having abortions.

Old 01-16-2022, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
I have absolutely no sympathy for the Roberts's on this issue whatsoever. As a young man, I had 2 young children by the time I was 22. I worked many hard hours to take care of those kids, and that care-giving extended to any extra activities they wanted to take part in. Sometimes, there just wasn't enough money for the kids to have everything they wanted. But they always had food, shelter, clothing, and plenty of joy when the holidays came around. Both children also took part in some extra activities as well over the years. My daughter was a Girl Scout and took Tang Soo Do, and my son played Rec League ball and took Tang Soo Do as well. All of these activities were my responsibility to pay for, and I never received any extra government benefits for doing my job as a parent. In the end, these people are talking about using the extra government money to pay for their children's luxury activities. For some reason, that really annoys the hell out of me. There are plenty of activities they could encourage their children to take part in which would be far less expensive than ballet and acting classes. Seems to me these people are living a bit beyond their means anyway if the only way they can pay for these things is by getting extra money every month from the government. I mean, if this is the standard, then I would like a little extra dough to pay for my cable and internet. And while were at it, maybe a little extra for greens fees. Honestly, the entitled attitude of some of these people makes me sick to my stomach.
Did you not notice that it's the GRANDPARENTS raising the kids. The parents are drug addicts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies