Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2022, 07:37 AM

4,952 posts, read 3,057,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
This was 100% the dog owner's fault. They were told repeatedly to get the dogs. They did nothing. A "friendly" dog can turn on a stranger in a instant. My dog weighs 15 lbs and couldn't hurt a flea on his best day and I would never, ever, let him roam free outdoors - especially in the middle of a law enforcement action. These people should have their remaining dogs taken from them. They're irresponsible. Period.

You seem like a Karen, and the cop should have used the pepper spray.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2022, 07:57 AM

17,390 posts, read 16,532,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Based on the fact that the cop didn't shoot the dog when it immediately came outside and only shot the dog after it started barking (and presumably behaving more aggressively), I'm going to go out on a limb and support the side of the cop here. The woman should have never let her dog run outside free as she did. And the cops called for the owner(s) to come get the dog multiple times before the dog initially ran out of the gate up to the second cop, before returning his attention on the cop who ultimately killed him.

The dog looked friendly enough initially, but then did appear to become more aggressive. It's hard to say exactly how aggressive the dog became as the dog was ultimately shot mostly out of view due to being on the other side of the fence, but this is how I view things so far.

On a side note, I wonder if the owners know who called the cops on them and, if so, how that's going to change that relationship dynamic!
I think it was the Maltese that was barking..yapping. Probably was driving the neighbors crazy. The dog that got shot looked like an older (maybe 8 or 9 year old), friendly dog to me.

I have a 10 year old Staffy mix and she has never met a stranger. I could see her being curious to "meet" the "visitors" at the door and running up to sniff them. The dog that got shot wasn't jumping on the officers or anything, just acting curious.

FWIW, I am not the type of owner that allows my dogs to run up to strangers, so please don't think I'm defending that, I'm not. This is totally on the owners and I think the cop way over reacted. I saw no aggression in that dog.

Maybe officers who are scared of dogs shouldn't be responding to barking dog complaints. Maybe that would have been a better call for animal control to make.

Old 01-17-2022, 08:14 AM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I think it was the Maltese that was barking..yapping. Probably was driving the neighbors crazy. The dog that got shot looked like an older (maybe 8 or 9 year old), friendly dog to me.

I have a 10 year old Staffy mix and she has never met a stranger. I could see her being curious to "meet" the "visitors" at the door and running up to sniff them. The dog that got shot wasn't jumping on the officers or anything, just acting curious.

FWIW, I am not the type of owner that allows my dogs to run up to strangers, so please don't think I'm defending that, I'm not. This is totally on the owners and I think the cop way over reacted. I saw no aggression in that dog.

Maybe officers who are scared of dogs shouldn't be responding to barking dog complaints. Maybe that would have been a better call for animal control to make.
Ok. I just assumed it was the dog that was shot doing the barking, but I'm not sure now.

As for the other point on having officers who have some fear of dogs (though I think anyone should have a fear of dogs under the right circumstance based on how the dog is behaving), I'll say that not every department/place will have that luxury. If the dog truly was a threat behind that fence, then I support the officer's actions. I'm encouraged by the fact that the officer didn't shoot the dog initially and it wasn't until the dog came after him for a second time (this time out of view mostly, and possibly with the dog barking?) that the dog was shot.

Old 01-17-2022, 08:16 AM

Actually I just read that this was an 8 month old puppy. Puppies are almost always overly friendly and curious.

Poor little guy.

Old 01-17-2022, 08:22 AM

23,558 posts, read 17,232,713 times
Right, if it barks, shoot it.

Call BS on that shooting.

Safety issue as well.

Old 01-17-2022, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Ok. I just assumed it was the dog that was shot doing the barking, but I'm not sure now.

As for the other point on having officers who have some fear of dogs (though I think anyone should have a fear of dogs under the right circumstance based on how the dog is behaving), I'll say that not every department/place will have that luxury. If the dog truly was a threat behind that fence, then I support the officer's actions. I'm encouraged by the fact that the officer didn't shoot the dog initially and it wasn't until the dog came after him for a second time (this time out of view mostly, and possibly with the dog barking?) that the dog was shot.
O.k. I just rewatched with the audio and the bully was barking, too. Not that barking is necessarily an aggressive thing because dogs do vocalize when they are excited. And the police were there on a barking dog complaint so they were fairly warned.

My Staffy doesn't bark at people. She wiggle wags.

Old 01-17-2022, 08:34 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
It's easy to criticize from afar, but the homeowner should have kept those dogs restrained in the house.

Sure, the dog may appeared to have been friendly initially. But I can't see how the dog was acting once it started heading towards the officer before it was shot (dog was hidden behind the fence).

https://www.yahoo.com/news/surveilla...185010731.html
Dear Pittbull owners:

Stop cutting your dogs’ ears and tails, it makes them look more dangerous and easily identifiable. Stop insisting on owning them in areas that have outlawed them. And, if you are going to ignore those last two sentences, make sure you, or especially your pets, don’t behave in a manner that brings the police to your home.
There is no telling what the initial caller said or what was conveyed to the cop, chances are very good the caller expressed fear of trying to talk to the neighbor because they were scared of the dog.

Old 01-17-2022, 08:37 AM

6,389 posts, read 2,712,718 times
Hindsight is always 20/20. It is impossible to "guess" what the dog's intentions were. Was it an overly curious puppy or a mankiller? Cops sometimes have to make split-second decisions.

The video does not make it look like the dog was being overly aggressive and seems very unlikely that the officer was justified in shooting the dog. But no one here was there. In looking back at the original call where they were there because of dogs barking. While the cops were there the homeowner let the dogs out and did not get the dogs when they were told to by the officers. Which doesn't lend any credibility to their actions.

In the end, this probably should fall under the category of a "horrible accident" where both sides should take it as a learning experience, but more for the homeowner. If they had followed the officer's instructions to get the dogs, they would likely still be alive today.

Old 01-17-2022, 08:52 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankNSense View Post
Hindsight is always 20/20. It is impossible to "guess" what the dog's intentions were. Was it an overly curious puppy or a mankiller? Cops sometimes have to make split-second decisions.

The video does not make it look like the dog was being overly aggressive and seems very unlikely that the officer was justified in shooting the dog. But no one here was there. In looking back at the original call where they were there because of dogs barking. While the cops were there the homeowner let the dogs out and did not get the dogs when they were told to by the officers. Which doesn't lend any credibility to their actions.

In the end, this probably should fall under the category of a "horrible accident" where both sides should take it as a learning experience, but more for the homeowner. If they had followed the officer's instructions to get the dogs, they would likely still be alive today.
That sums up how death or serious injury of humans, in addition to animals, could be avoided in most police shootings.

Old 01-17-2022, 09:15 AM

9,509 posts, read 4,344,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
You seem like a Karen, and the cop should have used the pepper spray.
What I am is someone who loves dogs and doesn't want them to come to harm. You, apparently, not so much. Not sure why you hate animals. I hope you don't have any pets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies