Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have we officially entered the "bad times"?
Yes 45 54.22%
No 35 42.17%
Unsure 3 3.61%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2022, 08:59 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,371,062 times

Advertisements

Covid is what is determining what's good or bad.

Our industries are leaving China, people are moving around, spreading their wealth out of the big cities, lots of jobs are there for anyone who wants them, the interest rates are extremely low, and everything else looks to be pretty bright after Covid finally quits stomping all over us.

We are all very impatient now for Covid to end. I think it has us all in a perpetual state of nagging anxiety, but Covid will leave eventually, and take much of our anger at each other with it when it goes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2022, 09:05 PM

13,601 posts, read 4,934,489 times
These times are a “meh”

Old 01-18-2022, 09:25 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,210,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
I would say moderately bad times with half the nation pushing hard for disastrous times.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
There is an aggressive portion of the population that is intent on destroying society.
Me.

Quote:
I assume it has something to do with Karl Marx, which apparently is required reading in liberal colleges.
The people who want to destroy society aren't communists. The commies merely want to seize power.

Quote:
We will fight to preserve the country.
What do you even mean by "the country"? The government? Capitalism? Territorial control?

Old 01-18-2022, 09:51 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,210,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
To me, it feels like we are standing precariously on the edge, or perhaps we have stepped off into the void already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanonka View Post
In just 5 years you would think of today as of "golden age"... Printed trillions don't disappear in the air. And there is way more printing down the road.
The United States is closer to the edge than most people realize. The moment we can no longer run $800 billion a year trade deficits, things will go downhill in a hurry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis44102 View Post
If we ever have a catastrophic event these weak political biases will disappear and the country will unify.
It depends what the catastrophic event is. Certain catastrophic events could create more division.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaelectro View Post
Morally and Spiritually, man is still the same.
Not exactly. Morals vary dramatically across space and time. Religion as well.

In America today, half the country believes we are becoming more moral, and the other half believes we are becoming less moral. Who is right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
The only thing that’s significant and different going on right now is the perceived demographic transition unfolding.
I don't think demographic change is the cause of the problem. I think demographic change is a pressure point that throws off the balance of the system.

Democracy has traditionally been whoever has the most money wins the election. The democracy of money.

The problem with demographic change, is that it allows a relatively small amount of money to exert extreme political influence and win elections.

Old 01-19-2022, 12:37 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,630,428 times
Quote:
To me, it feels like we are standing precariously on the edge, or perhaps we have stepped off into the void already.
We have. Modern industrial civilization is in the earliest stages of collapse, but few people have figured it out and fewer still have the courage to accept it.

https://www.resilience.org/stories/2...will-collapse/

Old 01-19-2022, 01:07 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
As bad times go, this is pretty mild.
Really. The bad times were over when my city lifted its mask mandate in April 2021. Now the unemployment rate is 1.3%, probably the lowest ever. So, what Dreaded Bad Times? I just wonder and worry about what the next bad times will be like.

I suspect it is mainly posters living in Blue States, like Andywire, who wonder if we're living in bad times.

Old 01-19-2022, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Get out of Detroit.

Old 01-19-2022, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreatpeepee View Post
I'm not sure where all this doom and gloom is coming from. I was promoted this last year with corresponding salary increase and went in on a rental property toward the end of 2021. I track my monthly expenses meticulously and haven't seen an in monthly fuel or groceries prices, and I have yet to see any supply chain issues in any of my stores. Admittedly I WFH and don't order a whole lot of things online, but overall my balance sheet is very healthy.

401(k) and stock investments are still doing fine and I'm happy with the gains of last year.
Democrats during Trump wanted gloom and doom upon the economy to increase the likelihood of getting a Democrat back into the White House in 2020. Now it's time for Republicans to wish the same to get a Republican back into the White House in 2024. And to regain control of Congress in 2022.

Old 01-19-2022, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreatpeepee View Post
I observe closely around me, I don't see these "empty Soviet Union-style groceries" that everyone is talking about. Walking around my neighborhood, things seem much the same way, with construction continuing to go up in my vicinity, and strangers are cordial to one another.

What should I be paying attention to, the sensationalist media?
Same here. New housing construction going on here, though with electricians saying they are sometimes having trouble finding what they need.

Old 01-19-2022, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Up until it can't. And then you go from first world problems of the drive-thru line at the Starbucks being too long and impeding one's ability to get a grande frappucino to actual problems. I'll let you in on a secret about first world problems. They're not actually problems.
Have more faith in the power of capitalism. The problem of the drive through line being too long in my town was finally solved by the opening of a new one on the other side of town along with the grand opening of Dutch Bros. Now if the power of capitalism would open a new Taco Bell on the other side of town, that would help, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies