Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2022, 03:22 AM

1,158 posts, read 961,732 times

Advertisements

Corporate America just wants to sell more products and they will do anything to do that.

Blame capitalism and the never ending quest for corporations to make more $$$ and expand their markets. If they haven't updated their characters since 1997 probably time for a re-brand...Someone takes the M&M characters a little too seriously.

Last edited by Angie682; 01-22-2022 at 03:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2022, 03:31 AM

2,912 posts, read 1,249,675 times
Keep in mind M&M / Mars is a huge company with a long long list of products.

They made my woke list a while back before this episode and I printed out a list of their products to avoid.

A few you might not expect: All Wrigley gums, Starburst, Combos, Altoids, Iams and Eukanuba pet food.

Beside M&M's: Snickers, Twix, 3 Musketeers, Milky Way & Dove chocolate.

The only one of these products I have missed is Milky Way Midnight. Those were tasty.

Old 01-22-2022, 03:36 AM

1,746 posts, read 880,455 times
Mars Candy: "Sure, we give you co-morbidities but at least we are politically correct about it." </sarcasm>

Honestly, the amount of time I spent thinking about any companies mascot prior to yesterday when this story broke could have fit in a thimble and you would still have had a hard time finding it with a microscope or magnifier. I couldn't care less about and of them. But I will take a stance that blue M&Ms are just wrong! Go back to the originals.

Old 01-22-2022, 03:55 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,540,890 times
Mars Inc. is privately held (last I heard, the 6th largest privately held company in the U.S.)

It is owned by the Mars family.

They have to follow the law, but they have fewer constrictions than a publicly held company would.

From what I understand, not too many in the family work in the company day to day.

Sometimes, in a multi-generational privately held company, the decision maker or makers currently in power in the family will more or less on an ongoing basis have outside managers run the company day to day, or sometimes they'll do that temporarily because they feel the leader of the next generation in the company isn't quite ready yet.

I wonder if the OP's point is something the hired day to day upper management came up with, and the Mars family just agreed, or if this was initiated by the Mars family.

Old 01-22-2022, 04:01 AM

19,848 posts, read 12,110,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkHammer View Post
Keep in mind M&M / Mars is a huge company with a long long list of products.

They made my woke list a while back before this episode and I printed out a list of their products to avoid.

A few you might not expect: All Wrigley gums, Starburst, Combos, Altoids, Iams and Eukanuba pet food.

Beside M&M's: Snickers, Twix, 3 Musketeers, Milky Way & Dove chocolate.

The only one of these products I have missed is Milky Way Midnight. Those were tasty.

They have pretty much taken over the pet care industry.

All those once independent vet offices that now sport VCA in their name? Mars.

Banfield? Mars.

Blue Pearl Emergency and Specialty Vet Hospitals? Mars.

Greenies
Pedigree
Royal Canin
Nutro
IAMS
Eukanuba
California Naturals
NomNomNow - just acquired
Whiskas
Dreamiest
Sheba
Cesar
Temptations

Old 01-22-2022, 04:55 AM

16,077 posts, read 21,159,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
What the hell is going on!!!! How can we ever fix any of our very real problems in this country when people are focusing their attention on ridiculous issues like this? M&M's are candy people. That's all they will ever be. And if you are actually crazy enough to let the shoes a cartoon candy character is wearing bother you, then you should absolutely seek professional help.
It's really a non-issue. You are the one making it into something more. It's business decision about changing some outdated stereotypes.
Why do you care so much that they changed a few cartoon critters? Does it make you feel threatened in some way?

Old 01-22-2022, 05:12 AM

8,016 posts, read 5,862,519 times
Quote:
I've heard this as well. I also heard that our president only eats the left Twix. Right Twix's go straight in the compost pile.

Our 44th president only ate Almond Joy.

Old 01-22-2022, 05:39 AM

10,479 posts, read 4,046,033 times
This reminds me the comic book world that is changing once white heterosexual male characters into non whites, women or a member of the LBGT community so the comic book world appears diverse and that everyone has a hero they can look up to.

I even got into an argument about this with a friend a few years back. She was saying they needed more Black superheroes so that Black people have someone to look up to, and I was like, please. You personally have more in common personality wise with The Punisher than you will ever have with either Black Panther or Storm. Then she tried to turn the tables on me. Asked me who my favorite comic book character was and if I related to them somehow. I admit, I did relate to this character a lot, personality wise. But he was no white woman. In fact, he wasn't even human. He was Raphael from the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Those four Turtles I had more in common with than anyone on The X-Men or Avengers.....

Old 01-22-2022, 05:41 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,274,675 times
Quote:
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/m-ms-ch...e-progressive/

Honestly.....this is the most ridiculous thing I've read in a long time.

Okay, first off let me just say that I believe that I am generally a fairly sane individual. I mean sure, I know we all have our little quirks which make us unique (slightly crazy) but for the most part my marbles remain in a nice neat pile in my head. And for some reason, just reading this story makes me feel as if I'm listening to someone drag nails across a chalkboard.

How on earth did we, as a society, get to this point? Have we truly reached a point in our lives where stuff like this is worthy of our attention? Does this not strike the rest of you as utter insanity on the part of the Mars, Incorporated? And if it does seem as insane to you as it does to me, then you must also realize this insane response to a non-existent problem was brought on by a group of even more insane people who actually had a problem with cartoon candy people!!!!!

What the hell is going on!!!! How can we ever fix any of our very real problems in this country when people are focusing their attention on ridiculous issues like this? M&M's are candy people. That's all they will ever be. And if you are actually crazy enough to let the shoes a cartoon candy character is wearing bother you, then you should absolutely seek professional help.

PS. I'm sorry for the rant. But I truly can not express just how sick I am of seeing stories like this. We have so many real problems in the world. It just makes me sick to think people are wasting their time on ridiculous issues like these.
LOL, inflation's raging, stock market's tanking, people can't afford to buy a house.... and Mars felt the need to go woke on us. Doesn't matter to me -- I don't eat that stuff anyway.

Old 01-22-2022, 06:24 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,952,008 times
Who pays attention to cartoon characters in commercials?

Children.

See the other thread about the Denver schools and sex and transgender education.

Lock step.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies