Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2022, 10:17 AM

46,964 posts, read 26,011,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Slough was a new town, which Betjeman didn't like, and the poem did feature in The Office, with David Brent calling Betjeman overrated.
I did not know that (the latter). Not sure I'd call Betjeman overrated, but possibly a bit of a holder-on to a form of poetry that the rest of the world was leaving behind. Matches his disdain for modernity in other contexts, I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2022, 10:41 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 5 days ago)

27,189 posts, read 13,477,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
I did not know that (the latter). Not sure I'd call Betjeman overrated, but possibly a bit of a holder-on to a form of poetry that the rest of the world was leaving behind. Matches his disdain for modernity in other contexts, I guess.
Betjeman was quaintly British and a bit eccentric, as was Philip Larkin who he once interviewed.

Great poets though.

Old 01-23-2022, 11:45 AM

20,757 posts, read 8,588,145 times
I've actually been to Slough. Many years ago I took the train from London and my friends, who lived in a nearby village, came to fetch me. Ah, memories!

Old 01-23-2022, 11:55 AM

7,375 posts, read 3,536,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
Or, for the maker of the candy, maybe just make the candy or don't make the candy? Don't get your panties in a wad about how woke extremists try to handle your marketing? Trust me, their goal is the dream of more control and less freedom. America, right?

If you get sucked in, just remember that the #1 rule in propaganda today is:

Enragement = Less sales.
it’s just stupid. i never liked m&m’s and always found their mascots / commercials annoying. they should just cut to the point and give millennials and beyond what they really want - candy shapes penises

Old 01-23-2022, 12:20 PM

19,429 posts, read 15,255,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterflyfish View Post
Since you asked... Yes, the untied shoelaces, the go-go boots, the high heels were woefully out of date. They also decided to make the characters friendlier to each other. Are you offended by that too?
No, I'm not the one(s) who is offended. They're making these changes for people who are somehow offended by untied shoelaces and go-go boots on candy characters.

So do you think we shouldn't have any entertainment of any kind where everyone isn't perfectly friendly to everyone else? That's going to be boring, not to mention a completely unrealistic take on life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterflyfish View Post
Most large brands update their logos every 3 to 5 years. If it's been more than 5 years, they are really growing moss. This has been a standard practice in the branding/marketing world my entire professional career, there's no more "pressure" now than there was 30 years ago.

Branding and marketing trends have kept me and many other people employed over the years, so I'm all for it. Every time a company updates their brand, it means more people hard at work. It's a good thing.

Mars, Inc. is not "trolling the woke crowd" or being pressured politically. They are simply doing what every smart company does, by keeping their fingers on the pulse of popular culture.
I honestly can't believe you think that. People and companies are being censored and canceled, therefore pressured, left and right.

Old 01-23-2022, 12:21 PM

19,429 posts, read 15,255,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
it’s just stupid. i never liked m&m’s and always found their mascots / commercials annoying. they should just cut to the point and give millennials and beyond what they really want - candy shapes penises
Lol!

Old 01-23-2022, 12:39 PM

831 posts, read 1,965,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Meh. I'm pretty sure that it was all created by some advertising agency, who presented it to the decision-makers at Mars, who okayed it. But those decision-makers don't actually make the delicious candy, or have any hand in the recipes, and likely have never been on the candy factory floor.
I saw this article about "desexualizing" M&Ms and making the red one less...nuts? and flipped out myself - and wondered the same thing as you. Is their marketing group internal or external?

When I worked at one of the big 3, we had internal and external marketing. External marketing handled the big stuff like the commercials. We were all shown the commercials in the conference room studio at the same time by the outside company before they were blasted out on tv.

The internal marketing looked like a daycare. I was only in my late 20s and they could have been *my* kids...or at least that was the maturity level vibe I was getting from them.

They still had to convince someone in a Mars boardroom that this was a good idea...

Old 01-23-2022, 12:42 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,588,145 times
I prefer Milky Way Midnight

Old 01-23-2022, 01:09 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,030,238 times
Since marketing companies/Ad Agencies have created characters to shill their products, there have been updates to those images/characters.

And they have used those changes to create 'buzz'.

Don't buy the M & M's -- it won't make a difference.

Old 01-24-2022, 10:02 AM

7 posts, read 6,575 times
Me too!! Let the entire LBGT - XYZ, KBG, etc., etc., support the ignorant candy makers!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies