Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2022, 07:36 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,109,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/m-ms-ch...e-progressive/

Honestly.....this is the most ridiculous thing I've read in a long time.

Okay, first off let me just say that I believe that I am generally a fairly sane individual. I mean sure, I know we all have our little quirks which make us unique (slightly crazy) but for the most part my marbles remain in a nice neat pile in my head. And for some reason, just reading this story makes me feel as if I'm listening to someone drag nails across a chalkboard.

How on earth did we, as a society, get to this point? Have we truly reached a point in our lives where stuff like this is worthy of our attention? Does this not strike the rest of you as utter insanity on the part of Mars, Incorporated? And if it does seem as insane to you as it does to me, then you must also realize this insane response to a non-existent problem was brought on by a group of even more insane people who actually had a problem with cartoon candy people!!!!!

What the hell is going on!!!! How can we ever fix any of our very real problems in this country when people are focusing their attention on ridiculous issues like this? M&M's are candy people. That's all they will ever be. And if you are actually crazy enough to let the shoes a cartoon candy character is wearing bother you, then you should absolutely seek professional help.

PS. I'm sorry for the rant. But I truly can not express just how sick I am of seeing stories like this. We have so many real problems in the world. It just makes me sick to think people are wasting their time on ridiculous issues like these.
It's like a snowball rolling downhill. Every flake wants to be a part of it....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2022, 07:38 AM

3,923 posts, read 3,647,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
I’d have never known anything about this if not for the OP.
Never ceases to amaze me how people continue to bring attention to subjects they want (other) people to ignore.

What’s up with that?
On the contrary, I do not want people to ignore anything. I want people to see this and recognize that this sort of nonsense is a plague on our society. I want people to understand that every story like this takes attention away from stories like this.https://www.latimes.com/world/la-fg-...ms%20by%202025.

That is why we discuss these types of issues. Not to give them a louder voice but encourage others to block them out. You can't ignore a problem and make it go away. Drawing attention to insanity is the only way you will ever find a cure.

Old 01-22-2022, 07:43 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 10 days ago)

35,635 posts, read 17,982,736 times
Quote:
On the contrary, I do not want people to ignore anything. I want people to see this and recognize that this sort of nonsense is a plague on our society. I want people to understand that every story like this takes attention away from stories like this.https://www.latimes.com/world/la-fg-...ms%20by%202025.

That is why we discuss these types of issues. Not to give them a louder voice but encourage others to block them out. You can't ignore a problem and make it go away. Drawing attention to insanity is the only way you will ever find a cure.
Advertising has a LONG history of looking at itself, and realizing it's sending the wrong or at least an insensitive message in their product media.

You can find innumerable humor websites showing ads from the 50's and 60's that shock our sensibilities. You almost can't believe the ads are real, they're so demeaning to a segment of the population. But when they were created and aired, no one thought a thing of it. No one recognized the unflattering, cliche messages.

The difference in this is, when ad companies realized they need to change their message, they did it quietly and without drawing attention to their changes. Subtly.

In this case, Mars is choosing to point out the changes they're making to correct perceived slights. Publicly.

Old 01-22-2022, 07:49 AM

3,923 posts, read 3,647,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
“Forced?”

There are millions of ways to avoid this “lunacy” as you call it.
I watch a lot of TV. Until I saw this thread, I knew nothing about this. Hasn’t been reported on my local news, haven’t seen a single “woke” commercial or any other media regarding this topic other than this thread.

In any event, specific to the thread title, has Mars, Inc. stopped making candy?
I’m pretty sure if that was the case, that I’d have heard about.

While this thread is about a specific instance of lunacy the purpose of the thread is to bring attention to the fact that we are inundated with nonsense LIKE THIS every day of our lives. So maybe you haven't seen any of these advertisements? Does that take away from the fact that they exist and millions of others have been subjected too them? If I were living in London in 1942 and a bomb blew up my neighbor's house, but I didn't see the bomb that did it, would that mean there wasn't a problem or that my country wasn't at war? I know, an extreme example, but the essence is there all the same.

And as far as your question about the thread title, I was being facetious. I apologize for any confusion it may have caused.

Old 01-22-2022, 07:49 AM

2,983 posts, read 1,167,603 times
I just want to eat the candy this just virtual signaling crap!!

Old 01-22-2022, 07:54 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 4 days ago)

27,187 posts, read 13,477,157 times
Quote:

Okay, first off let me just say that I believe that I am generally a fairly sane individual. I mean sure, I know we all have our little quirks which make us unique (slightly crazy) but for the most part my marbles remain in a nice neat pile in my head. And for some reason, just reading this story makes me feel as if I'm listening to someone drag nails across a chalkboard.

How on earth did we, as a society, get to this point? Have we truly reached a point in our lives where stuff like this is worthy of our attention? Does this not strike the rest of you as utter insanity on the part of Mars, Incorporated? And if it does seem as insane to you as it does to me, then you must also realize this insane response to a non-existent problem was brought on by a group of even more insane people who actually had a problem with cartoon candy people!!!!!

What the hell is going on!!!! How can we ever fix any of our very real problems in this country when people are focusing their attention on ridiculous issues like this? M&M's are candy people. That's all they will ever be. And if you are actually crazy enough to let the shoes a cartoon candy character is wearing bother you, then you should absolutely seek professional help.

PS. I'm sorry for the rant. But I truly can not express just how sick I am of seeing stories like this. We have so many real problems in the world. It just makes me sick to think people are wasting their time on ridiculous issues like these.
Not sure why Mars would get involved in petty woke politics, if they continue then I will simply not buy any more of their products.

Incidentally Forrest Mars came up with his famous Mars Bar in Slough in England (not too far from Heathrow), which is where the UK series of 'The Office' was set.

The famous Le Man's winning Ford GT40 was also developed and assembled in humble Slough, on the town's trading estate. The film Ford v Ferrari told the story of the GT40 and it's famous Le Man's win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBC News

Ah, I hear you say, but Mars is an American company. You would be right, but the bar that bears the name of its owner and a confectionery empire was actually born in Berkshire.

Founder Frank Mars gave his son Forrest the money to set up his own chocolate business in the UK in 1932, and the younger Mars ended up in Slough, where he came up with the nougat and caramel-filled treat.

That started the Mars company as we know it. The firm is still in Slough to this day, and developed the Twix, Maltesers, Topic and Starburst (formerly Opal Fruits) brands here.

From Mars Bars to Thunderbirds: Eight things Slough gave the world - BBC News
The roundabout, concrete bus station and some of the other buildings have now gone, after a major redevelopment of the area.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpwKOcpYfy0

Old 01-22-2022, 07:57 AM

19,037 posts, read 27,614,590 times
Quote:

Well, for starters, they got YOUR attention, didn't they? Though, you do NOT pay attention, yet..

Otherwise, they simply pledge allegiance. That's it. Signaling out - hey, hey, we, the candy people, are with you! Discount our loans and forgive our debts!

Old 01-22-2022, 07:57 AM

5,581 posts, read 2,310,056 times
Are you upset that the bully M&M "will be more kind to his co-characters."

Or are you upset that the heels on the brown M&M "will be lowered to a professional heel height".

Or are you upset that the Green M&M's go go boots will be replaced by sneakers?"

Or are you upset because "orange M&M's shoe laces will now be tied"

Old 01-22-2022, 08:14 AM

24,502 posts, read 17,245,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I don't know, a part of me thinks Mars is just trolling the woke crowd and laughing at the controversy being created.

I can't recall anyone ever mentioning these characters as being 'offensive' at any time, even during the heights of wokeness the past few years.

Unless this company has a history of such behavior....

I think the woke SJW's are running out of things to be outraged about and Mars has taken notice so in a preemptive move they made the changes to the M&M characters so they will not be targeted.

I think it is totally stupid. Talk about a First World problem. These people have too much time on their hands. I would like to know if the California Raisins have been reached for comment OR have they been cancelled?

Old 01-22-2022, 08:22 AM

19,812 posts, read 9,371,980 times
Quote:

Just want to say that agree with the above and love the way you write. (Can't rep you again.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies