Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2022, 10:31 AM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
In his Cornerstone Speech, also known as the Cornerstone Address, Alexander H. Stephens, Vice President of the Confederate States of America, at the Athenaeum in Savannah, Georgia, on March 21, 1861 stated:
It’s foundations are laid, its cornerstone rests upon the great truth, that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery—subordination to the superior race—is his natural condition. This, our new government, is the first, in the history of the world, based upon this great physical, philosophical, and moral truth.
Before him, Voltaire stated, “Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.”
Even sadder, there is a county in Georgia named for Alexander H. Stephens.

The Cornerstone Speech should be even more proof that SLAVERY was the uttermost basis for which the Confederate "nation" was founded on. It was right there.

But furthermore, how could anyone, in good and moral conscious, defend and side with the Confederacy? Just looking at what the Confederate cause was/is about, and knowing my ancestors were slaves, I can't side with the Confederacy. I can't defend it. That's the equivalent of saying "I'm perfectly fine with people fighting to keep me enslaved".

Old 02-04-2022, 10:48 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,596,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Thanks for the synopsis. Reminds me of that one Dave Mason song (We Just Disagree).

But that really wasn't the point of my post. Just worn slick by the blatant hypocrisy among conservatives regarding Democrats, the Confederacy, Jim Crow, the southern strategy and all that. Especially the vociferous ones like we have on this thread.
I find it highly interesting that there in never a mention of the lynchings or the black codes of the Northern Territories in these threads. Do you not find that interesting?

What is liberty? Define that ...

The Confederate strategy (Southern States and half of Maryland) was to withdraw their consent of being governed by a Unionized (installed essence of a king) document, where as, they found they had no voice in its Congress that was given the power to legislate.

Even after the war, they did not have the power within their government to count 'others' any more than 3/5 when in 1787 they thought they should count as part of the population and the North said, they were 'property'. The war did not change that.

Another poster put it succinctly --- it was the greatest confiscation of property in the u.s. that has ever been preformed by the Federal government.
Quote:
But that really wasn't the point of my post.
You said within that post, that the conservatives should come up with the good guys and the bad guys.

I merely pointed out there wasn't any good guys or bad guys. There was a difference in opinion on governing and which form would gain individuals greater liberty.

The first mistake people make is trying to make this an R & D party issue, when it wasn't. R & D served in both the Union and the Confederate interests.

"There is no such faculty of adaptation in the American system. If there is a variance between the Executive and Congress, the former communicates with its partisans in that body through the back-door and lobby;, and the practical consequences are bribery, corruption, and all sorts of devious and unworthy appliances to the legislation of the country."... {cited}

Corporate lobby, still rules the day the only difference is, no one is taking up arms over it ...

Old 02-04-2022, 11:02 AM

13,460 posts, read 4,295,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADCS View Post
...you do know what the Southern planters had in mind for Latin America, right? 1846 but much worse?

It couldn't been any worse then how it turn out to be now. Spaniards beat them to the punch on Latin America for 400 years. Can't blame Southern America for today's Latin America issues. It's a pattern with them. Their problem is racism hidden in classism but that's another topic. I don't want to feed steaks to babies.

Old 02-04-2022, 11:20 AM

Quote:
=
But that really wasn't the point of my post. Just worn slick by the blatant hypocrisy among conservatives regarding Democrats, the Confederacy, Jim Crow, the southern strategy and all that. Especially the vociferous ones like we have on this thread.
So you are finally unmasked. I read you since your first post but was waiting from your mouth your true intention on your 2nd post. At least I answer your sarcastic question: If you want to cover the southern Democrat politics of the 20th century, what does that has to do with today's conservatism or me? Like Malcolm X said, Liberals are the bigger problem for Blacks than conservatism.

You are calling me a hypocrite without calling my name, right? I think I exposed the b.s. of the Southern Strategy in other topics but since you open the can of worms go at it.

I was never a fan of big government, Jim Crow or the New Deal or LBJs war on poverty. I'm pretty consistent in my views. My principles and view of history are 2 different things, so I don't know what you want me to answer or confess to you.

Old 02-04-2022, 11:21 AM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
168 Confederate symbols were removed from free public spaces across the United States of America in 2020.

The Confederacy continues its struggle for legitimacy entirely in opposition to the historical record.
That there are people defending the Confederate cause with their last breath shows what this is. The Lost Cause mythology is coming down. It's being torn down and shown to be the Lost Cause lies. However, it won't go away without kicking and screaming.

When slavery ended, it ended with many kicking and screaming. When the Jim Crow laws were struck down, there was alot of kicking and screaming, and violence. Now, the Lost Cause narrative is being torn down. And some people are kicking and screaming once again.

The Neo-Confederate Lost Cause advocates are struggling for legitimacy. They are in a losing battle and getting desperate each day.

Old 02-04-2022, 11:32 AM

^^^^^ the white washing of U.S. history and putting white gloves on the North.

Old 02-04-2022, 11:52 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,927,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Even sadder, there is a county in Georgia named for Alexander H. Stephens.

The Cornerstone Speech should be even more proof that SLAVERY was the uttermost basis for which the Confederate "nation" was founded on. It was right there.

But furthermore, how could anyone, in good and moral conscious, defend and side with the Confederacy? Just looking at what the Confederate cause was/is about, and knowing my ancestors were slaves, I can't side with the Confederacy. I can't defend it. That's the equivalent of saying "I'm perfectly fine with people fighting to keep me enslaved".
Agreed, in the present day it is all about sophistries & saving face. That is why the Lost Cause mythologies & propaganda were created, it is also why they indoctrinated generation after generation by censoring the textbooks, it is also why the KKK were their arm of enforcement, & it is also why Ron & Rand Paul oppose the Civil Rights Acts of the 1960s.

Old 02-04-2022, 11:55 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,596,932 times
Quote:
That there are people defending the Confederate cause with their last breath shows what this is. The Lost Cause mythology is coming down. It's being torn down and shown to be the Lost Cause lies. However, it won't go away without kicking and screaming.

When slavery ended, it ended with many kicking and screaming. When the Jim Crow laws were struck down, there was alot of kicking and screaming, and violence. Now, the Lost Cause narrative is being torn down. And some people are kicking and screaming once again.

The Neo-Confederate Lost Cause advocates are struggling for legitimacy. They are in a losing battle and getting desperate each day.
With the birth of the Internet the only ones who are desperate are the educators of history. Today I am trying to determine if people know the difference between the "Stars and Bars" flag that resembled the u.s. flag, but was designed to depict the Confederate government and the Battle flag, Saint Andrew's Cross. As it is, because people do not know their true history I can display the Confederate government flag, but not the Christian flag. I'd be called raciest for one, but not the other. (confusion which is Satan rules the day)

Old 02-04-2022, 12:02 PM

Quote:
it is also why Ron & Rand Paul oppose the Civil Rights Acts of the 1960s.
They opposed it because the act went too far just like the Patriot Act. It has a nice title until you read the endless pages of federal government power grab that We are all paying today including blacks.

Their issues are for the property rights element, not because they got rid of the Jim Crow laws which FDR New Deal and liberalism made Jim Crow stronger.

Thank God We live in a country that people can debate and challenge huge bills and not vote on the title of the bill to please the crowd or the party.

Old 02-04-2022, 12:35 PM

13,240 posts, read 4,927,027 times
Quote:

Did you ever wonder why the textbooks do not cover the various Slaver States’ Declaration of Secession documents?

These primary source documents make it perfectly clear they are seceding for slavery & against states' rights.

South Carolina’s declaration even points out how pro “national government" they are:
The general government, as the common agent, passed laws to carry into effect these stipulations .... For many years these laws were executed. But an increasing hostility on the part of the non-slaveholding states to the institution of slavery has led to a disregard of their obligations....
& further point out the airquote “offensive” states:
The States of Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, New York, Pennsylvania, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Wisconsin, and Iowa, have enacted laws which either nullify the acts of Congress, or render useless any attempt to execute them. In many of these States the fugitive is discharged from the service of labor claimed ....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies