Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 06:57 AM

19 posts, read 77,843 times

Advertisements

Hi
I would like to know which cities in US have the racial problems. Racism due to the colour of the person.pls let me know. I am in london now.I know in UK most of the cities have racism.
thanks

Old 01-03-2007, 07:13 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,467,611 times
The U.S. racism is much better than Europe Tom. I know Europe has alot of problems with racism, not to offend you my good chap. Most of the racism is very isolated, individuals, a small group. Racism is not corporate anymore, it's not the hot topic on break at work. I don't know the magnitude of racism in England. But, in America you aren't allowed to be denied anything on the base of race. If you do, you can face incarceration time. Most black are very cordial towards whites and the other way around. The racism in the United States are bad incidences that happen to good people, so many times people become racially slanted based on their own personal injustices and experiences with other folks. I live in California, and the racism is very, very low. I believe tensions are higher between blacks and whites in Europe, but hardly here. Why? Well, slavery has been dealt with for a long time now. The independence of almost every African country from France and England and even the Dutch dates to an average of 1960. Farewell friend, give America a shot.

Old 01-03-2007, 07:13 AM

12 posts, read 45,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toms003 View Post
Hi
I would like to know which cities in US have the racial problems. Racism due to the colour of the person.pls let me know. I am in london now.I know in UK most of the cities have racism.
thanks
i dont know where in london you live but i've visited there and i saw plenty black people and evrybody got along also i watch that soap eastenders and theres black people on there and there not made fun of or discriminated against

Old 01-03-2007, 07:17 AM

Hi dusesean,
Thanks for the info. I am an Asian.I was thinking of moving out of england due to many reasons. hence the above thread. which place do u think is moderate for me to move into?my girl friend is a nurse and we can process a green card easily and I am into IT. pls give me ur valuable ideas and suggestions
thanks

Old 01-03-2007, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_nbx View Post
i dont know where in london you live but i've visited there and i saw plenty black people and evrybody got along also i watch that soap eastenders and theres black people on there and there not made fun of or discriminated against
well I live in north west. near to manchester. there are lot of problems on the north west. most of them are unreported. I am an Indian on a work permit.I know my friends were abused and thrown stones etc etc many many incidents to narrate.

Old 01-03-2007, 07:27 AM

12 posts, read 45,999 times
hmm thats weird cause my sister knows a guy hes a professor at the college she went to and he's indian born and raised in africa and for a while he lived in london and he loved it

Old 01-03-2007, 07:43 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,467,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toms003 View Post
Hi dusesean,
Thanks for the info. I am an Asian.I was thinking of moving out of england due to many reasons. hence the above thread. which place do u think is moderate for me to move into?my girl friend is a nurse and we can process a green card easily and I am into IT. pls give me ur valuable ideas and suggestions
thanks
Tom, you should move to California. There is a heavy Asian population in California, ecspecially Filipino, Chinese, Japanese, Koreans, and Vietnamese. The San Francisco Area is gorgeous, San Francisco 20% Asian population is very high. 1/3 of all Asians in the U.S. live in California, many live on Hawaii. Hawaii has a greater Asian population than Caucasian population. Los Angeles has many asians as well, even the smaller ethnic groups, Burmese, Thai, Laos, Cambodia. 11% percent of Los Angeles county has Asian folks in 2000 Census, so if the population in the county was 9,998,000 that's a little over 1 million. California has such a great Asian population, the Koreans, Filipinos, Chinese and whoever else splits time on the stations. Many Asians live in Massachusettes, and some in Florida. There will probably be a slight increase in racism in Florida. I don't know too much about these states. Anymore questions friend, happy to help!

Old 01-03-2007, 07:55 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,087,312 times
Racism..
sure there is racism in America...
Go to Idaho and see skinheads who hate blacks and everyone not like them (and they are knuckleheads...)
Or to South Central Los Angeles where blacks hate the whites and the mexicans... (and they are thugsters) and the mexicans slowly pushing the blacks out of the area to surrounding communites (this has happened in 20 short years) (and they are illegals and have children that turn into gangsters)
Or experience white flight from California because whites are too emasculated to tell you the real reason they want out... minorities overextending the social systems.. and because many are fearful of the minorities because of violence ( I dont know what they are,,, ignorant maybe)
is it overt... not exactly.. thats too polictically incorrect today.. so what you experience in America is an undercurrent of bubbling of racism...

What you will find in America are racial groups that demand entitlement
and suck up social welfare and blame other ethnic groups for their own shortcomings

What you will find in America are enclaves of one or the other racial group... all cities are racially diverse.. are their tensions.. sure.. the last L A riot was only 1992... the one before that 1965... the next one.. and there will be another one,,, wont be as long in time as between the first two... because of ALL the ills created by persons disaffected from their communities, and the advent of drugs and gangs.. (thugster ganglife fosters racism by default)

Currently America is under siege from illegal immigrants from the south.. that creates fear.. fear fosters racism... if your mexican and want to do construction, or indian and want to open a gas station, or black and want a BBQ joint.. you'll do just fine (this statement is an example of racist attitudes in America.. and they are systemic)

What you will not find in America is the magic bullet of nirvana of peoples loving and respecting each other.. not in any good size American city anyway.

I dont consider myself racist... however I dont want anothers persons cultural mores and traditions shoved down my throat either... I happen to be white.. I feel very affected here in California by what are typically termed "minorities".. although in the real sense there are many places in California where white people are the minority....

I could care less about a person's skin color.. its what is inside them that matters...I have friends of all colors... well I did anyway when living in Los Angeles.. now I live in an area not very racially diverse.. I admit I enjoy the reduced tension I always experienced living in an area of California that contained huge amounts of "minorities" It is hard to be naturally accepting of other races when illegals are streaming across our borders and the ills of too many people living on top of each other foster a "it's me or them" mentality.

In America no one group "needs" to be anything.. there is opportunity for all.. it is however the raclal attitudes that encircle us with weighty chains as a nation

I would be very, very careful recommending California to anyone today.. unless a person has fully investigated and experienced the California "lifestyle" in the area where they want to live...
I find these boards very helpful in learning about peoples attitudes about a certain geographic area

In the late 70's I showed up on Venice beach in California after one particularly bad snowstrom, stuck in my radiocar, on the 95 coming out of Baltimore Maryland... L.A. was beautiful.. warm, sunny ocean breezes .. awesome looking bikini babes..I came seeking the California dream and three months later I transferred from Maryland to L.A. for a life long career with LASD... and during the next 25 years I got to experience overt and subtle racism.. all around me and directed to me personally...

In hindsite would I have come to California knowing all I know today about it... for the job and department yes.. in a heartbeat.. for the lifestyle NO WAY.... not in a major California city anyway.. a person would have to have blinders on to not be affected by what goes on outside their door in any California city today.. raise a family and expose them to California values .. absolutely not.... even if I was a multimillionare and could insulate my children from the outside world California is so kooky in so many ways children arent children here....

Last edited by notmeofficer; 01-03-2007 at 08:34 AM..

Old 01-03-2007, 10:51 AM

1,560 posts, read 7,146,916 times
notmeofficer's statements are sad in many ways, but there also is some truth to what he says. My personal theory is that we as individuals are inclined to have an ingrained distrust of that which is different from us. And different can have many forms. It may be racial, educational, developmental, gender, sexual orientation, religion, or any other definable trait. We tend to trust those like us outright and individuals lose that trust based on their actions. We also tend to distrust those not like us, and only grant trust based on individuals actions.

Also most of us want to be surrounded by those with similar interest and backgrounds as ours. Which often makes integrated living so potentially difficult. From my experience the racist attitudes tend to get worse as one travels in groups with lower educational levels. (IE. When I was in the Navy, individuals in many of the less technical ratings tended to hang out in groups that were racially segregated. Whereas individuals in the more technical ratings tended to hang out in groups that were segregated by rating.)

You see similar segregation in society in general as well. There are places in most towns that are primarily home to one racial group or another. Now a part of that may have some basis in subtle racism, because it is doubtful that a person would willing choose to live in the slums/ghettos/barrios if they could afford to live elsewhere. So something must be keeping those groups, mostly minorities, in those areas. (Although I also recognize that it can be difficult to leave somewhere that is familiar to you.)

Education and opportunity are, in my opinion, the biggest keys to getting out of those areas. African-Americans have been emancipated for over 100 years and Constitutionally guaranteed equal rights for over 40 years, and yet there are still hundreds of thousands, perhaps millions, still living in poverty. Why? I suspect it is a number of contributing factors, including education, culture, and racial discrimination and probably a number of other factors.

I'm an educated white man, raised in the South. I've long ago realized that discriminating against people based, on non-consequential things like race, gender, ethnic backgrounds, religion, or other traits, is folly. I want to live in an area that is safe from crime and drugs; and where my children can play in the yard without fear. I don't care about the race, religion, or ethnic background of my neighbors.

Old 01-03-2007, 01:41 PM

I agree with the above post.So it looks like it is better than England.Last year a teenager was killed because he was black here in UK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies