Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2022, 05:47 PM

8,609 posts, read 2,317,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
Another great point. Although, forcing schools to charge less would also be a form of government overreach, according to some.

But why does the US not want everyone educated? Would it make for a better economy in the end?
what you don't get is nobody on the "right" (opposed to you, in theory) is asking for schools to CHARGE LESS. We're saying students should PAY THEM less.

We've already pretty much tried "let everyone get the education that they want". That's how > 1 million Millenials and older slackers how found themselves with many years of "education and learning" but no skill that anyone will pay for. And $1.5T that many of them claim simply CANNOT be repaid.

See ... that's what really kills the Millenials and Gen X slackers. "Wait, why aren't I able to earn more money based on getting a college degree/masters/PhD of MY choice???"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2022, 05:49 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,079,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
yep....trade schools would be a good place to start
Absolutely. EVERYONE should be able to get at least two years after high school. Trade or general courses that are required by all universities/colleges........

We live in a great school system and our high schools have AMAZING 'trade' options. The latest high school has a state of the art building studies facility. It's a HUGE room where they can almost build a small house, they bring in different equipment, etc. It is amazing.

Another part has veterinary facilities where kids tend to all kinds of animals and basic study.

Every high school should have access to this kind of stuff. (there are other opportunities in technology, art, etc...it really is quite impressive).

Old 01-30-2022, 05:50 PM

1,165 posts, read 409,035 times
When you give someone something for free, it takes their drive away. Sure there is many that would do great but at the same time there is many even now with financial aid, keep taking and dropping classes because they are too hard. One needs to have incentive to do good and finish as quickly as possible. Having to pay for the school be it partially or fully is the drive that one needs.

The fact is today schools are so expensive because of financial aid, when that wasn't enough government started to offer education loans. It's time for government to get out of higher education completely.

Old 01-30-2022, 05:54 PM

by the way...

Quote:
The thought experiment as stated in the OP is only addressing the needs of those who want a post-secondary education without having to take out a loan.
Let's assume "post-secondary education" is indeed a NEED and not a WANT ... and on the surface, I would actually structurally AGREE with you. Because we know, in general, that those who get any education beyond the HS level do better, make more money, and thus have a higher net worth ... they're better taxpayers and citizens generally than those with a HS diploma or less.

Now, it seems obvious already that lengthy discussion exceeds your cognitive ability to discuss, so I'll make this part simple:

If a 21 year old can earn $60,000 with a degree that costs a total of $50,000 or a total of $200,000 - which should they do?

Old 01-30-2022, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Absolutely. EVERYONE should be able to get at least two years after high school. Trade or general courses that are required by all universities/colleges........

We live in a great school system and our high schools have AMAZING 'trade' options. The latest high school has a state of the art building studies facility. It's a HUGE room where they can almost build a small house, they bring in different equipment, etc. It is amazing.

Another part has veterinary facilities where kids tend to all kinds of animals and basic study.

Every high school should have access to this kind of stuff. (there are other opportunities in technology, art, etc...it really is quite impressive).

I really have big issue with "general education " part that all schools require. Sure it supposed to make someone "well rounded person" but I can tell you from experience that is not the case. For an example I took astronomy with a lab, I got an A but if you asked me anything even 2 weeks latter about astronomy i wouldn't be able to answer it. It's not that i am stupid or that i was not well rounded student, it's the fact that it's not something i was interested in. The moment I finished the class, I basically erased all knowledge of it. What schools should do is only require classes that one need for their major and not all of this general education.

Old 01-30-2022, 05:56 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,079,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Sim_Mister View Post
When you give someone something for free, it takes their drive away. Sure there is many that would do great but at the same time there is many even now with financial aid, keep taking and dropping classes because they are too hard. One needs to have incentive to do good and finish as quickly as possible. Having to pay for the school be it partially or fully is the drive that one needs.

The fact is today schools are so expensive because of financial aid, when that wasn't enough government started to offer education loans. It's time for government to get out of higher education completely.
That's not what takes drive away.

I was fortunate to have parents who could pay for my post secondary education. I was told by my peers that I couldn't appreciate school as much because I didn't have to take loans, work during the school year.

Funny -- while they missed classes because they were out drinking the night before, I was making sure I was at class and getting the most out of the opportunity.

Had nothing to do with who was paying.

Old 01-30-2022, 06:04 PM

Quote:
This bears repeating:

If you had a billion dollars and spent $1,000 a day, you would run out in 2,740 years.

Suggesting I liquidate 80% of my miniscule wealth in pursuit of this idea is like suggesting that I reduce my carbon footprint to fix climate change, when Lufthansa has confirmed that it flew 18,000 empty flights since the pandemic just to keep its take-off and landing rights at airports.

Scale is everything.
do you know that your reported net worth is equal to the average net worth of white households (you're privileged)? And Black households are like $10K?

So sell all your ****, and give it to someone more deserving.

Old 01-30-2022, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
That's not what takes drive away.

I was fortunate to have parents who could pay for my post secondary education. I was told by my peers that I couldn't appreciate school as much because I didn't have to take loans, work during the school year.

Funny -- while they missed classes because they were out drinking the night before, I was making sure I was at class and getting the most out of the opportunity.

Had nothing to do with who was paying.
The difference here is your parents gave you the money and not some stranger. You appreciated the fact that your parents were willing and able to pay for your higher education. I assume you love your parents very much and would not wan to disappoint them by doing bad in school. Now replace that with government and replace you with someone that don't have any real drive to do good in school. It is not his money, he don't care if he drops out because he does bad.

Old 01-30-2022, 06:06 PM

Quote:
I've been in the job market three times in the last 6 years. Most jobs that pay well and provide benefits require a college degree. Since so much of the application process is done electronically these days, your resume will go straight into the trash before anyone even looks at it. There is not even a chance in hell of a face-to-face unless you pass the first hurdle.

How many do you employ, and what is your benefits package like?
what happened that you left 2 jobs?

Old 01-30-2022, 06:08 PM

5,297 posts, read 5,251,932 times
Quote:
The average gain for the past hundred years has been 10% annually on the stock market.
You have a lot to learn. This entire thread just shows how little the op understands about basic economics. Unfortulatey, it seems the same state of our current Congress, trying to pass bills like Build Back Better.

Our education system certainly has gone to *****.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies