Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2022, 06:04 PM

17,454 posts, read 9,288,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Is there no mechanism for impeachment in Canada? This guy granted all power unto himself because he can’t admit he was wrong. He’s freezing accounts. How can there be nothing to stop him? You need to find a way and pressure every leader to do something about this menace. This isn’t the time to wait until you have another election.
Freezing accounts, firing people who support a Protest, suspending Insurance & Licenses.
They don't need another election - Trudeau's part ONLY got 33% of the Vote.
There are other ways to remove this Narcissist .

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I wonder this too. Trudeau is making a naked power grab. He is making himself a dictator so he can suppress a group of people and utterly destroy them. There must be some way to stop him.
There is .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
No. But there are three ways he can be removed from power:

1. He resigns.
2. The government loses on a vote of confidence in the House of Commons.
3. The Governor-General dissolves Parliament on her own initiative.

Option 1 is unlikely. In other words, he's not going to voluntarily quit.

Option 2 is a possibility. I'm unsure if the Emergencies Act vote, which must take place within a week of invocation, is a vote of confidence, but the fact remains that Trudeau's Liberal Party does not have the votes necessary in the House of Commons to overcome the votes of the other parties (there are five parties in a 338-seat House, plus an independent member), should they decide to gang up on him. What happens next is up to the Governor-General, and it gets complicated.

Option 3 is the nuclear option: the Governor-General dissolves Parliament, thus removing the Liberal Party from power, which means that Justin Trudeau is no longer Prime Minister. This is one of the extraordinary reserve powers that the G-G has, and it has never been used in Canada's 155-year history. Because of that, this power is unlikely to be used by the G-G. But it remains available, and if it is used, what happens next gets complicated.

Again, no. Trudeau did not unilaterally grant all power to himself, in the way that Kim Jong-Un has, or that Vladimir Putin de facto has. He could not act alone; he had to consult with the provincial premiers and his Cabinet prior to invoking the Emergencies Act, and he had to consider everything they said. Cabinet, and most premiers agreed it was time to proceed with the Act; a few did not. Once the Emergencies Act is invoked, there must be a vote in Parliament in a relatively short time (a week, as stated above). There is no guarantee that the vote will pass; the debate that is necessary might change a few minds. Remember, Trudeau's Liberal Party has fewer votes in the House of Commons than all the other parties combined.

These are not the checks and balances that a power-grabber/wannabe-dictator has to deal with. Does Kim Jong-Un? Does Vladimir Putin? Not likely, but Justin Trudeau has to. He's walking a tightrope at this point; risking his political career on this vote.

I don't much like Justin Trudeau, mainly because I feel that there are far more qualified people in the Liberal Party of Canada who would do a much better job than he has. Frankly, at this point, I feel that he is way out of his depth, and floundering. At any rate, as a Canadian citizen on the ground in the province of Alberta, I can assure you that there are no soldiers in the streets (which would require the invocation of another Act; which is not even being contemplated; which should put paid to the martial law argument); nobody is coming after my bank account; I remain free to leave and enter Canada as I please; my guns remain safely stored in my possession; no government-ordered towing company is towing my car out of my driveway; and life goes on pretty much as normal.

Hope that all this answers your questions, Katygirl68.
The Governor General doesn't have to take the Nuclear Option of dissolving Parliament - she could just call for Parliament to meet and let them settle it. She hasn't done that -- Bunch of cowards in Canada, she is one of them AND she is the one with the most power. She is supposed to Stand for all Canadians, to help to bring Unity and Stability. To come forward to prevent Abuse of Power.

Major KUDOS to you for explaining about the Governor General -- I have not read a single word about her and her Powers/Authority in any of the State Controlled Media or even non State Controlled Media.

The only thing you missed is that Trudeau hasn't called up the Military because he can't do that.
He does NOT have the Power/Authority to call up the Military.
The Governor General is the Commander in Chief of the Canadian Military with the Pleasure of the Queen. Unfortunately, the GG has only one thought in her head - the Indigenous Rights & Issues.
She pulled a "Trudeau" and announced she was in quarantine for Covid. Handy-Dandy

Quote:
Well, let’s hope the parliament has some sanity and refuses to grant the emergency relief act. I thought it was a done deal already (and maybe it is by this time).
Trudeau issued his Emergency Order on Monday, February 14 - Finance Minister Freeland published her Orders to Banks on February 15, based on the Trudeau order of February 14.
Parliament must Vote by Sunday of this week -- Trudeau won't wait for a VOTE, he is already Seizing Bank Accounts, threatening arrests and seizure of Children and it's reported he will bring in a Sonic Weapon within hours against the Freedom Trucker Protestors. It doesn't kill, it just makes you deaf and gives you long term Migraine headaches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
No, it's been on the news all morning that the Senate will meet Friday to discuss the Emergencies Act, and to no one's surprise, opposing politicians are speaking up against Trudeau and positioning themselves.
The Senate and the Commons have to approve or dismiss - when will the Commons VOTE?
Can Trudeau prevent a Vote?

Quote:
You may be surprised to learn I’m against all COVID mandates so…

And what vaccine mandates exist at the southern border into my state of Texas? I’ll tell you, none! And he’s let in well over 2 MILLION people since Biden has been president. Yet if Biden had his way we’d have the mandates you have (only for us citizens though).
You bring up an interesting question that nobody (including media) is even interested in.
Biden's Border order (which came after Trudeau's) includes the Northern and Southern Borders of the USA. Daily Border Crossings in the USA are way, way more on our Southern Border than on our Canadian Border. NOTHING is the news about that - Mexico has a very, very low Vaccination rate.
I'm not talking the Millions that cross Illegally daily -- I'm talking the 100's of 1,000's that cross DAILY to work, go to school, carry cargo - it's an unbelievable number and running smooth as silk with no delays.

That's just not possible on the Southern Border -- way too many people and too little vaccinations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2022, 06:26 PM

7,682 posts, read 5,542,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Freezing accounts, firing people who support a Protest, suspending Insurance & Licenses.
They don't need another election - Trudeau's part ONLY got 33% of the Vote.
There are other ways to remove this Narcissist .

There is .....

The Governor General doesn't have to take the Nuclear Option of dissolving Parliament - she could just call for Parliament to meet and let them settle it. She hasn't done that -- Bunch of cowards in Canada, she is one of them AND she is the one with the most power. She is supposed to Stand for all Canadians, to help to bring Unity and Stability. To come forward to prevent Abuse of Power.

Major KUDOS to you for explaining about the Governor General -- I have not read a single word about her and her Powers/Authority in any of the State Controlled Media or even non State Controlled Media.

The only thing you missed is that Trudeau hasn't called up the Military because he can't do that.
He does NOT have the Power/Authority to call up the Military.
The Governor General is the Commander in Chief of the Canadian Military with the Pleasure of the Queen. Unfortunately, the GG has only one thought in her head - the Indigenous Rights & Issues.
She pulled a "Trudeau" and announced she was in quarantine for Covid. Handy-Dandy

Trudeau issued his Emergency Order on Monday, February 14 - Finance Minister Freeland published her Orders to Banks on February 15, based on the Trudeau order of February 14.
Parliament must Vote by Sunday of this week -- Trudeau won't wait for a VOTE, he is already Seizing Bank Accounts, threatening arrests and seizure of Children and it's reported he will bring in a Sonic Weapon within hours against the Freedom Trucker Protestors. It doesn't kill, it just makes you deaf and gives you long term Migraine headaches.

The Senate and the Commons have to approve or dismiss - when will the Commons VOTE?
Can Trudeau prevent a Vote?

*snip*
Why would Trudeau want to prevent a vote?

There are 338 seats in the House of Commons.
Liberals 159 + NDP 25 = 184 seats which is more than half.

Jagmeet Singh, leader of the NDP, said he would support the legislation if it were tabled:
https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/video/si...183000137.html

Old 02-16-2022, 06:51 PM

52,692 posts, read 34,619,709 times
this is great. castreau getting his ass handed to him.

https://youtu.be/gcvg1WSpQlA

Old 02-16-2022, 08:10 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,740,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
this is great. castreau getting his ass handed to him.

they should drop the mask charade already, not one of those masks is protecting anybody

Old 02-16-2022, 09:36 PM

17,638 posts, read 17,737,917 times
https://www.foxnews.com/world/canada...ting-swastikas
Now he’s accusing members of parliament of supporting Nazis.

Old 02-16-2022, 09:44 PM

21,487 posts, read 10,600,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
Neither any random group of truckers. Blocking major highways and paralysing two countries is not “civil”. Not everyone was a trucker going back and forth between US and Canada. A gazillion people who jumped at the opportunity to cause mayhem, took part in BLM protests as well.

FYI - BLM actually has demands: to stop police brutality (and racism) against black people.

The problem is that you (and others) view things from your perspective only. Don’t get how the word “freedom” can be manipulated and played by any random group of angry people to support their actions.

Groups who decide to “occupy” or paralyse cities (or entire countries) to force the nation to act the way they want, are unacceptable. If you also add fire arms to the mix - it becomes really dangerous.
Civil disobedience is nonviolent protests, and have been done many times in the past. If Black Lives Matter actually did that I’d have respected their demands, but of course you mischaracterized them. They wanted to abolish police, defund police, and at various times wanted to abolish ice. They most definitely never demanded to end racism or end police brutality (something I’d agree with).

Old 02-16-2022, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
It’s an absurd demand. In order for the Federal Government/Trudeau to have the authority to drop provincial COVID restrictions, the Canadian Constitution would have to be changed.
If I’m not mistaken, this is about the restrictions at the border which is probably the federal restriction.

Old 02-16-2022, 09:47 PM

17,454 posts, read 9,288,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
https://www.foxnews.com/world/canada...ting-swastikas
Now he’s accusing members of parliament of supporting Nazis.
So far … just the Grand-daughter of Holacaust survivors. He could add to that tomorrow.

What a Champ the Leftists elected in Canada with 33% of the vote.
Ow he is taking over banks with his Emergency Act.

Old 02-16-2022, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
So far … just the Grand-daughter of Holacaust survivors. He could add to that tomorrow.

What a Champ the Leftists elected in Canada with 33% of the vote.
Ow he is taking over banks with his Emergency Act.
He’s pretty sickening. I don’t understand what people in Canadian see in him. I see a spoiled d-bag who always seems to be looking in the mirror or figuring out which side is best to photograph or wearing costumes. The guy is an embarrassment. All this would have been okay if he was a better leader but he’s horrible at that too.

Old 02-16-2022, 11:04 PM

3,630 posts, read 3,421,766 times
Quote:
If I’m not mistaken, this is about the restrictions at the border which is probably the federal restriction.
Correct. As I have stated before, the federal Parliament is in charge of Canada's borders, but can do nothing about whether you need a vaccine passport to enter a bar in Alberta, or how many fans can attend a hockey game in Ontario, or how many people can go to a movie theatre in British Columbia.

Katygirl68, I seem to recall that you were relieved to hear that this would all be debated in Parliament. Part of the debate occurred today, and it got a little spirited. You can watch a brief (time is 3:24) excerpt from today's debate here:

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/watc...aker-1.5784279

A few definitions that may help our American friends understand what is going on:

Speaker: A neutral person, representing no political party, who basically acts as the chairman of the debate. He's the one in English-style legal robes at the front of the House. All questions must go through him; House Members are not permitted to address each other directly. He keeps order (as you can see); if things get too far gone, he can have the Sergeant-at-Arms remove the unruly Member from the House.

"Thornhill," "Sarnia-Lambton," and similar: These are the names of the ridings (i.e. districts) that the members represent. It is traditional in the House of Commons to refer to the Members participating in debate as "the Member from Thornhill," for example, rather than by their name or their home province. Unless they're the Prime Minister or the Leader of the Opposition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies