Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2022, 03:32 PM

8,455 posts, read 12,237,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
The city of Englewood in Chicago has a pop of about 25k and very cold weather and even during winter their homicide rates are insane. Kinda blows your theory out the window.
There's no such city.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
Deny all you like. Black violent crime rates are what they are. The most dangerous areas in the U.S. are not in “poor neighborhoods”. They are in poor black neighborhoods.

Twist it up any way you like.
If 90% of crime does not cross ethnic lines, what does that mean for your your theory?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2022, 03:40 PM

8,455 posts, read 12,237,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
You've got to understand... guns in Wyoming are righteous. Guns in Philly are evil. It's the evil guns committing the crimes. Righteous guns have no desire to do bad things.
Except for Charlie Starkweather, I guess.

Old 04-15-2022, 03:42 PM

73,191 posts, read 63,037,589 times
Philadelphia should be compared to Boston or Houston, not Wyoming.

Old 04-15-2022, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
I grew up in a predominantly white town. There was a couple of black families that lived there too. None of their children came from broken homes. Other than their skin color they were no different than anyone else. Just your average middle class family, two parents, two dogs and a cat living in well kept homes. We were all friends, hung out and raised hell together. Underage drinking parties, things like that. The typical crap that kids do when they're bored. Yeah, we all got a little rowdy at times during high school sporting events. A belly full of beer will do that especially when you're 16 or 17 years old. Occasionally the cops would catch us drinking behind the Main Street school bring us home where we'd receive a good sound thrashing from our parents.

The cops would always ask: Where'd ja get the beer from? "We found it on the aqueduct" was always our reply. As if the cops believed us. Man, those were the days. But other than that we all grew up to live productive lives.

An individuals upbringing and environment has more to do with whether they'll turn to a life of crime. Race has nothing to do with it. If a white kid came from a broken home and had drug addicts, alcoholics, criminals and prostitutes as parents. There's a good chance that they will turn out the same way. In the case of drugs they'll often turn to crime in order to support their habit.
I grew up in a predominantly White town as well. When I think about some of what I saw growing up, there are instances when I consider there isn't that much difference between some of the Black people I interacted with, and some of the White people I interacted with.

I never raised any cain. I wasn't with the drinking crowd or the druggie crowd. Several classmates of mine did end up with drug issues. Some went to jail.

In many cases, it's the company you keep that can really cause problems. A Black classmate of mine frequently hung out with the druggies. He was actually a stepchild, and he spent some time in a rough environment. Last I checked, he's dealing with drug and alcohol issues. At the end of the day, he ended up in the same position as his White druggie friends.

I don't know how many of my classmates came from broken homes. However, I notice some classmates of mine were either very aggressive, or seem to have all kinds of problems.

Old 04-15-2022, 08:36 PM

79,116 posts, read 61,253,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
Wyoming = heaven
Well they have lots of guns and a low murder rate so it exposes a lie which requires snarky targeting.

Quote:
Your next response will be "well it's less urban" and yet the Licoln Park and Austin neighborhoods in Chicago with around 100k residents have 1 and 40 murders per year (approx) despite being 3-4 miles apart.
You're being used to pass the buck of higher minority urban murder rates off to rural states that refuse to back gun restrictions.

In short, you're being used. Used by urban center politicians that dont really want to spend money to fix a serious issue when it does them no good politically and they would have to drag funds away from other programs and of course....confront certain communities over not raising their kids right.

Old 04-16-2022, 08:32 PM

7,525 posts, read 4,405,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I grew up in a predominantly White town as well. When I think about some of what I saw growing up, there are instances when I consider there isn't that much difference between some of the Black people I interacted with, and some of the White people I interacted with.

I never raised any cain. I wasn't with the drinking crowd or the druggie crowd. Several classmates of mine did end up with drug issues. Some went to jail.

In many cases, it's the company you keep that can really cause problems. A Black classmate of mine frequently hung out with the druggies. He was actually a stepchild, and he spent some time in a rough environment. Last I checked, he's dealing with drug and alcohol issues. At the end of the day, he ended up in the same position as his White druggie friends.

I don't know how many of my classmates came from broken homes. However, I notice some classmates of mine were either very aggressive, or seem to have all kinds of problems.
My cousin did, he's dead now and never made it to 30. He died of an overdose. It wasn't like my aunt and uncle were bad parents far from it. He just started in with all that crap in high school and didn't know when to stop. By the time he got into his 20's he was a full blown addict. He'd been arrested a couple of times for dealing but instead of prison they sent him to re-hab. Which didn't do him any good.

I was part of the under age drinking crowd and at times it got out of hand. My partying days were over soon after getting out of high school same with most of my friends both black and white. We all got jobs, married and went on to lead productive lives. It just got to the point where you wake up and realize that it doesn't lead to anything good. A few of my friends never grew up. Two died young, one drank himself to death. They found him dead in a bar's bathroom, the other a car accident he too was wasted at the time. For what it's worth both were white. So am I.

You're right people are people regardless of their skin color. Some turn out alright others don't. I could have very easily gone down the wrong path. My cousin and I were close growing up but kinda' parted ways once he got into drugs and some of the people that he was associating with. On at least one occasion that I know of he'd gotten beaten up and robbed somewhere in the South Bronx by people he was trying to buy drugs from. I guess that goes with the territory? Why people want to get involved in that s**t is beyond me?

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 04-16-2022 at 08:43 PM..

Old 04-17-2022, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
There's no such city.

If 90% of crime does not cross ethnic lines, what does that mean for your your theory?
There are small cities with cold winters that get high murder rates.

On the flip side, 70% Black Southfield, MI (population 76,000) had 3 murders last year. 4 murders per 100,000. I notice predominantly Black middle class areas get far less violent crime than poor Black areas, regardless of the climate.

Old 04-17-2022, 01:35 PM

30,980 posts, read 19,573,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkool View Post
"Demographics are destiny." It's very easy to predict the violent crime rate of any US city just by looking at the demographics. The Color Of Crime by Jared Taylor is a good read on the topic.
Very true.

Facts are very racist.

Old 04-17-2022, 01:41 PM

1,866 posts, read 942,581 times
Quote:
"Demographics are destiny."
It certainly seems that way...

(although I'm kinda shocked Greenland has a high homicide rate, wonder why?)

Image source:
http://cdn.statcdn.com/Infographic/i...rmal/5369.jpeg

Old 04-17-2022, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
My cousin did, he's dead now and never made it to 30. He died of an overdose. It wasn't like my aunt and uncle were bad parents far from it. He just started in with all that crap in high school and didn't know when to stop. By the time he got into his 20's he was a full blown addict. He'd been arrested a couple of times for dealing but instead of prison they sent him to re-hab. Which didn't do him any good.

I was part of the under age drinking crowd and at times it got out of hand. My partying days were over soon after getting out of high school same with most of my friends both black and white. We all got jobs, married and went on to lead productive lives. It just got to the point where you wake up and realize that it doesn't lead to anything good. A few of my friends never grew up. Two died young, one drank himself to death. They found him dead in a bar's bathroom, the other a car accident he too was wasted at the time. For what it's worth both were white. So am I.

You're right people are people regardless of their skin color. Some turn out alright others don't. I could have very easily gone down the wrong path. My cousin and I were close growing up but kinda' parted ways once he got into drugs and some of the people that he was associating with. On at least one occasion that I know of he'd gotten beaten up and robbed somewhere in the South Bronx by people he was trying to buy drugs from. I guess that goes with the territory? Why people want to get involved in that s**t is beyond me?
I have a relative who spent half of his adult life in and out of prison. I don't know what he's up to now. Family members have tried to get through to him, much to no avail. Drugs were a big factor.

I never had any party days until turned 21. By then I was in college. I had no idea what many of my old high school classmates were up to. Many got married young and had no time to party. I didn't find out until years later than some people I grew up with got addicted to drugs or had run-ins with the law. My brother knows several people who got into drugs or went to jail. Black or White, it did not matter. The only murderer I have personally known is a White guy. We had a class together. He murdered an elderly woman. I found out he was a drug addict.

I found out one of my neighbors got busted several times for drugs. Another neighbor broke into someone's house. A few of my brother's childhood friends got into legal and drug issues. I started thinking "I am middle class. I come from a 2 parent home. I grew up in a middle class subdivision. I'm educated and so is my father. Why do I know several people who either went to jail or got hooked on drugs?". It's something that gets to me.

I don't know anyone who got jumped for buying drugs in Atlanta. I do know of someone who got arrested for public intoxication (while seeking out more drugs).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies