Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2022, 12:29 PM

29,795 posts, read 14,858,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Homosexual behavior was a crime in many states until 2003.

So. That was less than 20 years ago. There's no reason to think that couldn't come back, especially with marble mouthed talk like this proposal.
Pure conjecture, nothing more. You're entitled to it though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2022, 12:29 PM

6,037 posts, read 2,278,288 times
I didn't get past Part 1:
Quote:
Our kids will say the pledge of allegiance, salute the Flag, learn that America is a great country, and choose the school that best fits them. We will inspire patriotism and stop teaching the revisionist history of the radical left; our kids will learn about the wisdom of the US Constitution, the Bill of Rights, and the founding fathers.
The history I learned in rural Florida in the early 80s was NOT actual history but American fan fiction. I was taught that the Civil War was a righteous cause that was fought to ensure the Southern way of life was maintained. I found out really fast how accurate that was when I had to bring that reading lesson home for my Black Military Serving Father (who can trace roots back to a Slave Plantation in Virginia). The worst part is the school itself was 60% black and that was the official Civil War lesson taught.

I still remember the pictures from the book my teacher used with cartoons of black people smiling and seemingly joyful to be enslaved.

Looks like Rick Scott wants to return to that fan fiction, cleansed, and desensitized version of American history that was never accurate. Why not be realistic with kids and say "hey we got some right and some wrong" which leads to Amendments.....

Old 02-22-2022, 12:31 PM

19,106 posts, read 12,817,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
I clicked on it, hoping to see some greatness. There were a few good ideas in there, and a lot of bad ones.

Why should we be afraid to teach our kids the harsh reality that there are some oppressors out there. Failing to alert them of the real world only results in more targets to oppress.
It's not teaching that 'people' have been oppressors, it's teaching that people in a group of immutable characteristics are automatically oppressors. It's indoctrination into Identity Marxism

As it currently is. If a parent wants to send their kid to a private school, they can. I just don't want my tax dollars going to vouchers.This makes no sense, everyone has a say on their tax dollars. If you want your dollars to go to the local school, that's fine. But you have no right for force my kid into the same school if it doesn't align with my values

But then it contradicts with

^Again, there is no rule anywhere that prohibits voluntary prayer of an individual. But he correctly states that the schools should not indoctrinate, so they should not organize prayer either. Let kids practice their faith, any faith, privately and as they see fit. School is for learning, not indoctrination. (He got that one right)Wokeism is a defacto religion, children are being forced to take part in its rituals. If you want your child to be a woke cultist then that's your choice. And if I want my kid to have a period of religious study or whatever it would be, that should be fine too.

That was just the first point, I could go on and on, but the main point is this:

He said a bunch of things, with no plans on how to implement them. Just a bunch of partisan talking points. I was hoping that he'd have some solutions, there are none. I ABSOLUTELY AGREE that many of these things need to happen, but not in the biased way he's proposing, and there needs some leadership on how to do it. Gotta start somewhere, right? Nowhere better that to itemize basic principles and beliefs. America will have a choice to give it a mandate or not at the ballot box
replies in blue^

Old 02-22-2022, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post

The history I learned in rural Florida in the early 80s was NOT actual history but American fan fiction. I was taught that the Civil War was a righteous cause that was fought to ensure the Southern way of life was maintained. I found out really fast how accurate that was when I had to bring that reading lesson home for my Black Military Serving Father (who can trace roots back to a Slave Plantation in Virginia). The worst part is the school itself was 60% black and that was the official Civil War lesson taught.

Looks like Rick Scott wants to return to that fan fiction, cleansed, and desensitized version of American history that was never accurate.
Lol...well, it was rural Florida.

Old 02-22-2022, 12:33 PM

7,202 posts, read 4,781,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Here is #9. Thankfully, he did stop short of saying God created Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve, which usually follows this kind of rhetoric.

Men are men, women are women, and
unborn babies are babies. We believe in
science: Men and women are biologically different,
“male and female He created them.†Modern technology has
confirmed that abortion takes a human life. Facts are facts,
the earth is round, the sun is hot, there are two genders,
and abortion stops a beating heart. To say otherwise is to deny science.

Yeah, like I said, I read it. How you got to kids being removed from families and going backwards is beyond reason. It's your projection of re-imagining what the words mean.

Old 02-22-2022, 12:33 PM

19,106 posts, read 12,817,012 times
Quote:
Looks like Rick Scott wants to return to that fan fiction, cleansed, and desensitized version of American history that was never accurate.
More Blue Anon. Nobody has said we should not teach kids about slavery. You realize we are 40 years removed from the 1980's right?

Old 02-22-2022, 12:35 PM

Quote:

I still remember the pictures from the book my teacher used with cartoons of black people smiling and seemingly joyful to be enslaved.

Definitely a different take than where I was taught. Here in MI, in the late 70's we were taught it was quite atrocious , and a very dark time in our country.

Old 02-22-2022, 12:36 PM

5,121 posts, read 1,697,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
How might that go over with Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, Sikhs, etc and the nearly 30% who do not identify with any religion?

They probably wont like it, but, too bad. There are many things i do not like in everyday life too, but life goes on. They will get over it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
SCOTUS ruled against school sponsored prayer in 1962.

One of the many mistakes in the history of our government and there will be more.

Old 02-22-2022, 12:36 PM

21,380 posts, read 8,004,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toodie View Post
Yeah, like I said, I read it. How you got to kids being removed from families and going backwards is beyond reason. It's your projection of re-imagining what the words mean.
An epic fail to try to reframe it to trigger leftist fear mongering machine.

Old 02-22-2022, 12:39 PM

30,443 posts, read 23,903,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Take note Republicans, this is how you do it!

An 11 Point Plan to Rescue America
https://www.politico.com/f/?id=00000...f-3ffd5f4a0000

Rick Scott you are now at the top of my most respected list

https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics...e-gop-majority
1) I do not agree with forcing school children to recite the pledge or salute the flag. It is not necessary to do those things to still love this country. They can learn about our flag and what people in the past went through for that flag, but making them pledge to it every day in school? Nope. School choice, I'm all for it.

2) Government may not ask about race, age, or whatever, but that doesn't solve the issue with employers doing it. So, this resolves nothing.

3) I would guess that most cops are 'good guys', but we have got to stop acting like ALL of them are 'good guys'. I would rather see 'most cops are out there doing good, but there are bad cops, and we need to root them out and remove them from the force.' That's what I want to see, instead of this blind acceptance that ALL are 'good'.

4) 100% agree.

5) All in. Let's add term limits to that, as that will make a big difference. AND, let's also not allow government creatures who are supposed to be 'representing the people', not be able to invest during their time as 'representatives' for the people. Same goes with their family members. No getting wealthy while you're supposed to be serving the people.

6) Okay, he discussed term limits here. Good. And yes, many of those federal agencies SHOULD be handled at state level.

7) Let's start by calling this country what it is: "A Constitutional Republic". Until these people can stop calling it a 'democracy', I'm not really interested in much of what they have to say.

8) Two parent households are ideal, as kids do need a mother and a father figure. I do agree that instead of promoting debauchery, we should focus on how important dads are to kids, and how important marriage is to kids - so maybe focus on less fighting for entertainment, but more positive news, and more positive stories instead of trying to pit people against each other.

9) What other people want to identify as is their business. They are going to have to deal with the fact that they only know how to identify themselves on such a superficial level. Surely there is more to them than 'I feel like this gender'. As long as I'm not required to play along with that, then I don't care how they want to live their lives. You do you, leave everyone else the hell alone.

10) Separation between church and state. Leave it that way.

11) He was doing good until the end. Still help countries, and no, Israel doesn't always defend itself, it often looks to countries like the U.S. to do the sht work for them. Yes, we should be energy independent, yes we should stop shipping our jobs overseas, (how about not allowing a huge flow of visa holders to take over our jobs here, as well), we shouldn't be paying the majority of funds when other countries need to be paying their fair share, but I don't like ignoring countries with citizens who need help. I don't give a damn about 'leaders', since many of them are corrupt, but the citizens, who often don't get a voice, are the ones who suffer. I don't like turning my back on those just because their leaders are pos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies