Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2022, 01:20 PM

29,548 posts, read 14,701,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
The entire document is filled with contradictions. I found this amusing:

when his entire "rescue plan" is based on a false political agenda. He's equating jingoism with patriotism, when jingoism is nothing of the sort.

And then there's this:

Who does he think is implementing many federal programs? That's right: private, local nonprofit groups. Nonprofits operate Head Start, AmeriCorps/VISTA/SeniorCorps, USDA nutrition programs, federally funded family planning, adult education, homelessness prevention programs, etc. etc. etc. etc. The federal government provides only partial funding for many of these; it's up to the states and the nonprofits to find the money for the rest.

So much idiocy. If he's looking for swing votes, he's not going to find them with this.

That's exactly where the hard right wants to go - back to what they see as a "better" time, when women and minorities were not heard, when women stayed with abusive spouses because they had nowhere else to go, when gays were afraid to be themselves in public.

But not all families are nuclear. What then? Don't all families matter?

Mmmmkay ...

God has no official place in the public schools. Not all students believe in God. Not all students are Christian.

No one is asking kids to leave their belief in God at the threshold or throw away their WWJD bracelets before they enter the school. But there must be no school-sanctioned religious student groups, no mandatory school prayer, no paintings of Jesus in the classroom, no curriculum focusing on or promoting only one religion.

Exactly.

I noticed that as well. This is the absolutism a lot of conservatives are complaining about, but they just can't see it wearing those GOP blinders.
More conjecture. Except for the religious stuff, I agree there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2022, 01:21 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,799,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
As it currently is. If a parent wants to send their kid to a private school, they can. I just don't want my tax dollars going to vouchers.
Fine. As long as none of my tax dollars go to public schools either, and they cut my taxes accordingly.

Change to a user pays funding model. Done.

Old 02-22-2022, 01:24 PM

11,226 posts, read 8,317,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I agree, there are a few good ideas there. Shrinking the federal government, term limitations, freedom of expressing and practicing religion which is actually covered in the First Amendment to begin with, etc.
I'm all for those freedoms. 110%

But I don't agree with his implication that schools should be allowed to organize, or even permit students to organize prayers. One might say he didn't say that, and they'd be right. But he went out of his way to outright ban other indoctrinations. This should be included.

My child is grown now, but I did not want her to be pressured into praying, whether to God, Allah, Jesus, or the Spaghetti Monster. Leave that for individuals to do independently (in or out of school), or with whomever they choose but outside of school.

^^If you think the school should not allow or sponsor LGBTQ events on their campus, then it should apply to religion too. ALL religions.

Old 02-22-2022, 01:25 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 15 days ago)

35,657 posts, read 18,015,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
stop being obtuse. thats just silly. just keep beliving the nonsense coming from the prog left.
so you're retracting this statement you made to me:

"you DONT SUBSIDISE people for not having 2 parent households".

I'm going for clarity here. That was your interpretation of #8, which isn't a bad interpretation, actually. I think you pretty much nailed the intent.

Old 02-22-2022, 01:26 PM

16,565 posts, read 10,662,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
I wonder how young conservative Republicans feel on the gender issue who think they were born the wrong sex and want to change identity to the opposite sex and want society to recognize it. Or do they simply resign themselves to living out their biological sex the best they can for society, especially for their fellow Republicans?
I don't know how they feel. But I do know how *I* feel when being told that I must deny objective biological reality and pretend that someone is a sex other than what their body says they are. And, along with this, having to accept such modern "innovations" as biological men entering women's bathrooms and competing in women's sports, and I'm not allowed to say anything against it without being labeled a hateful bigot.

Old 02-22-2022, 01:27 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,962,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
I'm all for those freedoms. 110%

But I don't agree with his implication that schools should be allowed to organize, or even permit students to organize prayers. One might say he didn't say that, and they'd be right. But he went out of his way to outright ban other indoctrinations. This should be included.

My child is grown now, but I did not want her to be pressured into praying, whether to God, Allah, Jesus, or the Spaghetti Monster. Leave that for individuals to do independently (in or out of school), or with whomever they choose but outside of school.

^^If you think the school should not allow or sponsor LGBTQ events on their campus, then it should apply to religion too. ALL religions.
Leftists are all for LGBTQ indoctrination. 100% for it.

It's a religion. And it needs to GO.

No religion in public schools. None. Including LGBTQ.

Old 02-22-2022, 01:28 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,962,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I don't know how they feel. But I do know how *I* feel when being told that I must deny objective biological reality and pretend that someone is a sex other than what their body says they are. And, along with this, having to accept such modern "innovations" as biological men entering women's bathrooms and competing in women's sports, and I'm not allowed to say anything against it without being labeled a hateful bigot.
Blasphemer would be a better description.

Because the statements are going against the religion of LGBTQ.

Old 02-22-2022, 01:29 PM

18,505 posts, read 9,179,531 times
Interesting, but a lot of his constituents live off of Federal largesse, so he’d get booted out of office the day after the gummint checks stopped coming in.

Old 02-22-2022, 01:31 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,738,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
The entire "attack on nuclear family" thing is about gay people.

They didnt just start saying that because of trans individuals, its been a thing.
No it's not, it's about 2 parent households, which is the overwhelmingly biggest factor in predicting the avoidance of poverty in life

Old 02-22-2022, 01:32 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,797,346 times
It’s curious what is not included.

No mention of mandatory e- Verify or imposing serious consequences on businesses and individuals who economically engage undocumented people.

No mention of the 12 million + undocumented people living, working, breeding in the US.

No mention of healthcare.

No mention of Medicare.

Scott was CEO of the largest hospital system in the US that purposely defrauded Medicare and Medicaid and incurred at the time, a record $1.9 billion fine. Scott claimed no knowledge and resigned with a $300 million parachute. Columbia/ HCA is a for profit, publicly- traded company.

Obviously, his previous affiliation did not prevent him from being a two term governor or being elected to the Senate. He remains the wealthiest member of Congress

Trump campaigned in 2015-6 on repealing and replacing Obamacare with something wonderful that was going to take care of everybody and the government was going to pay for it. There was no daylight between Trump’s pitch and Berni’s M4 A, other than Bernie had a clue what it would cost.

As we quickly learned, Trump had no plan.

In 2019, Trump deferred questions about healthcare to closer to the 2020 election and claimed 3 senators, of which Scott was one, would come up with a spectacular plan. They did not.

What Trump did manage to do, albeit unintentionally, was change the Republican narrative from repeal to repeal and replace and got most Republicans to advocate for guaranteed issue - regardless of preexisting conditions.

The ACA legislation turns 12 this April.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies