Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2022, 07:00 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,438,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlEsc View Post
And so was Ukraine under Poroshenko and Zelensky.
For those of you who have just tuned into the Ukrainian civil war, there was a coup de'tat in 2014. Several regions in the east did not want to be ruled by the new government.
The West labeled them "Russian separatists." Most are just average folks that are being indiscriminately murdered by the Ukrainian government.

If you want a peak into it, this interview sums it up fairly well. The woman describes her situation shortly after being shelled (a daily occurrence in the Donbas.)
https://youtu.be/EzdahDG9_A0?t=804

Eight years of shelling, terror, and murder by the Ukrainian government documented on Patrick's channel.
Dude, you are so late to this game. This crap has been repeatedly debunked on multiple threads on CDF. We know all about the Warner group and their role in what really happened in the ca-ca you are trying to peddle here.

No need to peak [sic] in it on some lame-o blogger's channel.

Try something new - this is old hat.

Old 03-22-2022, 07:03 PM

4,972 posts, read 2,715,111 times
Another view of what is going on in Ukraine:

https://www.unz.com/mwhitney/larry-c...eft-is-mop-up/

If this isn't true, watch for Russian forces to be chased out of Ukraine within the next 2 to 4 weeks and Ukraine to declare victory. If that doesn't happen, we'll have to revisit this.

Old 03-22-2022, 07:07 PM

1,081 posts, read 549,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Dude, you are so late to this game. This crap has been repeatedly debunked on multiple threads on CDF. We know all about the Warner group and their role in what really happened in the ca-ca you are trying to peddle here.

No need to peak [sic] in it on some lame-o blogger's channel.

Try something new - this is old hat.
Ok, educate me. Provide me with references.

Old 03-22-2022, 07:32 PM

8,502 posts, read 3,344,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlEsc View Post
Click the link and tell me why that is not Mariupol... Lots of citizens going about their day, pissed off that the utilities were destroyed. It's not mass murder of all Ukrainian people that people on this board (and the Western media) are making it out to be.
I never said it would not be Mariupol??? Just that the Russians want to make sure Lancaster video gets out. And to be fair so did the Ukrainians per the AP.

Here, the utilities probably are out. There is a rumor the Russians attacked.

No one ever said there was mass murder in Mariupol but only that shelling killed some with it too dangerous for ambulances to reach bodies. Patrick Lancaster probably will not show a body not yet removed. Let me know if I'm wrong.

Lancaster filmed this great little old lady in - the city that starts with a V to the north of Mariupol that was key to the last chance for the Ukrainians to break through to establish a safe corridor into Mariupol. She was absolutely furious with the Ukrainian soldiers for breaking her front door. This in a city where there was widespread destruction due to truly intense fighting.

Obviously anyone can now come in, she said. The lady wanted it fixed and she wanted it fixed now. Great spirit, really. I admired her pluck. But he basically wanders around asking leading questions to get the video wants.

Want to know what happened to a reporter who asks serious questions of the Donetsk People's Republic?

Quote:
On April 21, 2014, while producing "Russian Roulette," a series of reports for Vice News in eastern Ukraine, Ostrovsky's vehicle was stopped at a separtist checkpoint in the city of Sloviansk. One of the rebels identified Ostrovsky as a person of interest through a printed image, before taking him captive under the militia of the separatist pro-Russian leader, Vyacheslav Ponomarev,[20] who later said he was holding Ostrovsky for a potential trade. "We need prisoners. We need a bargaining chip," Ponomarev was quoted as telling The Moscow Times.[21]

Ostrovsky was imprisoned for three days, during which he was held in a basement, beaten and interrogated. Ostrovsky described the ordeal as "the worst three days of my life" in an account he authored for Canada's Globe and Mail newspaper.[22]

In the article, Ostrovsky wrote: "A hat was pulled over my head and taped over my eyes. My arms were pulled tightly behind my back and taped together too. I was led down a set of stairs and thrown into an empty, damp room … I was punched and kicked in the ribs and fell over to the ground."

Immediately prior to his detention, Ostrovsky had been investigating Russian citizens' involvement in the pro-Russia armed groups of eastern Ukraine, something separatist forces were trying to hide at that early stage of the conflict, according to a video deposition he made for VICE News following his release. He had also attended several press conferences of Ponomarev where the rebel leader had threatened journalists.[23]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simon_Ostrovsky
Patrick Lancaster has nothing to fear. His 'reporting' will be picture-perfect.

Old 03-22-2022, 07:51 PM

7,826 posts, read 2,729,889 times
This piece will brighten up your day. Unfortunately it seems to sum up Putin accurately

Opinion | Vladimir Putin, Russian Honey Badger
The West can throw whatever it wants at the Russian autocrat. He doesn’t care.

https://www.politico.com/news/magazi...adger-00019350

Quote:
Putin’s suicidal love for Russia expressed itself earlier this month, when he went completely Strangelovian by placing his nuclear arsenal, the world’s largest, on “alert.” “Fine”, his actions seemed to say. “You want to resist my absorption of Ukraine and scuttle my economy? Well, I’ll just broil you in nuclear fire.” What’s his logic? Nuclear war would leave both the United States and Russia in glowing ash and millions would die. Maybe he figures that his beloved Russia, being 1.8 times larger than the United States, is too big to nuke completely and that his regime could retreat and survive in a Siberian bunker? Nothing says you don’t give a **** like taking your chance on winning Armageddon.

Old 03-22-2022, 08:11 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,788,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoy64 View Post
This piece will brighten up your day. Unfortunately it seems to sum up Putin accurately

Opinion | Vladimir Putin, Russian Honey Badger
The West can throw whatever it wants at the Russian autocrat. He doesn’t care.

https://www.politico.com/news/magazi...adger-00019350
I disagree with that opinion. Putin is one of the richest persons on earth. I think he cares about his wealth and wants to be around to enjoy it. He takes calculated risks to see how the world reacts. During his troop build-up around Ukraine, the world repeatedly told him they would not send troops into Ukraine. That was a signal for him to invade. If the West had taken a stronger stance, I believed he would have backed down. He won that bluff for sure.

He also told the world that sanctions would be considered an act of war. Sanctions were imposed. What did he do in response? Nothing. He is displaying classic bully behavior. As long as people are afraid of him, he is in control. If strong countries step up, he will run to a corner and whimper.

Last edited by davidt1; 03-22-2022 at 08:22 PM..

Old 03-22-2022, 08:13 PM

3,368 posts, read 2,893,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pryvete View Post
Do you know anything about the intentions for the western part of the country? Russia has been employing an encirclement cauldron strategy but that's largely concentrated around the major cities further east as well as Kiev. Lviv and Chernivtsi in the west haven't been getting as much attention, have they?
That is a big unknown item no one knows for sure. Russia does not want that region, people are really aligned with Poland, rather than with Russia. Culturally and religiously. Even their version of Ukrainian is heavily-polish-indluenced (compared to Eastern version of Ukrainian that most Russians can easily understand without a translator).

What Russia cannot afford there is to allow unclave of 'independent' land, since it could be used to continue to wage the endless war with the help of Western countries who would be glad to supply Patriots or anything else. If Poland annex the land and make it a part of Poland, that would be the best outcome. Yet, Poland is unlikely to do so (who would want to give citizenship to millions of very angry people and spend millions of euros to rebuild their economy, and deal with the crime there, etc).

I don't think there is a solid plan in Kremlin what to do. Even Stalin had to fight the war against bandera-followers for 10 years after WW2 and died before the war was over (Khrushev let them out from jails, but him being an Ukrainian himself, it led to the end of open hostilities for half of the century).

According to Strelkov's analysis, Kremlin expected something of quick surrender with all the Ukrainian elites to integrate into Russian ruling party (and retaining all of their economic interests and big deal of sovereignty in local affairs). The plan failed, and now it must be war till the capitulation of one side, or another.

This is my private opinion, based on Strelkov's analysis (which is a private citizen nowadays), which correlates with my understanding of things based on me watching other sources.

Old 03-22-2022, 08:20 PM

7,682 posts, read 5,532,541 times
Ukraine has apparently captured a Russian electronic warfare system, potentially of huge value to NATO for teardown:

Quote:
It is likely to be the command post of one of the most potent Russian EW system - 1RL257 Krasukha-4, used to suppress AWACS radars & radar reconnaissance satellites.
Quote:
Krasukha-4 is notorious for jamming Starlink internet, the last reliable communication the Ukrainian Resistance fighters have with Washington.
Quote:
The mysterious tech that @elonmusk’s team is trying to get their hands on, once it lands on US Soil in a few days. Krasukha-4 is notorious for jamming Starlink internet, the last reliable communication the Ukrainian Resistance fighters have with Washington.
Quote:
They jam GPS, radio communications and other means of navigation, as well as cell phone signals. Krasukha-4 is used, in particular, to jam the signals of satellites moving in low orbit, as well as AWACS aircraft and other carriers of onboard radar systems.
https://twitter.com/trenttelenko/sta...363112961?s=21

Old 03-22-2022, 08:28 PM

7,826 posts, read 2,729,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
I disagree with that opinion. Putin is one of the richest persons on earth. I think he cares about his wealth and wants to be around to enjoy it. He takes calculated risks to see how the world reacts. During his troop build-up around Ukraine, the world repeatedly told him they would not send troops into Ukraine. That was a signal for him to invade. If the West had taken stronger stance, I believed he would have backed down. He won that bluff for sure.

He also told the world that sanctions would be considered an act of war. Sanctions were imposed. What did he do in response? Nothing. He is displaying classic bully behavior. As long as people are afraid him, he is in control. If strong countries step up, he will run to a corner and whimper.
I don't like this opinion but like I said it may unfortunately sum this idiot up. I just got off the phone with one of my friends from Russia and this is the point he drives home every time we talk about this (and it drives me crazy)....he's just like you don't understand this guy...he doesn't care. And then I read this article. Not to diminish the gravity of this but he's like...Dr Evil.

Old 03-22-2022, 08:29 PM

3,368 posts, read 2,893,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
Give me a break. Whomever Patrick Lancaster is, he is not an independent international reporter. I've seen some of his stuff as he follows the Donetsk People's Army around. Noticed his reputation on twitter etc. with speculation about his motivation.

Like I just added to the post you responded to:

Look carefully at the location and date of a Youtube report. Anything that comes from Mariupol itself would be suspect. Per the reporters and the extraordinary lengths they had to go to get internet access, video distribution would almost have to be facilitated at this point by 'an interested party.'
Do you truly still believe in an independent media??? After the COVID scare, after the president of United States called all the media 'fake news'? After Facebook allowing hate speach towards Russians, but prohibiting any criticism against Democrats or black minorities? After Google meddles with your search queries? Each journalist works for an agency and either he does what his agency tells him (the owners of the channel wants him to report essentially), or he will lose his salary very quickly.

I am not saying Russia Today is 100% truth (far from it), but one need to see all sides of the story to make a judgement.

For instance if you only watch Al-Jazeera, you will truly believe Israel is an evil state. Whereas if you watch Israel sources, you'll be convinced all Palestinians are terrorists and Israel has nothing to be blamed for. The truth is, both sides have a long list of things to revenge for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies