Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2022, 05:36 AM

59,138 posts, read 27,349,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
This is what many think tanks do. One of their jobs is to ask what if questions. What if China unleashes another virus, is the USA prepared to cope? What if Iran and Saudi Arabia enter a war, how will it affect oil flow to consumers? Apparently nobody asked what if Russia invaded Ukraine?

These what if scenarios let countries and organization plan ahead.
"This is what many think tanks do."
And most are not worth the paper they use for their "results"!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2022, 06:22 AM

27,196 posts, read 13,489,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pryvete View Post
Do they have the naval capacity to maintain lines of support and reinforcement in the Bering Strait while contesting US and probably NATO assets deployed to the area?

Frankly this has about as much chance of working out as WW2's Sealion. Why would Russia do that to begin with? They stand to gain nothing but a high intensity conflict with a superpower and his capable allies in Western Europe.

It's funny because you don't hear as much about the occupations going on in other parts of the world. China has had border disputes with India that has resulted in skirmishes for over half a century. They occupy various lands throughout the Himalayan mountain chain claimed by India. You can dispute the veracity of such claims but the similarities yet lack of international concern is peculiar to say the least.
Americans sometimes go on about Europeans not spending enough on defence, however a lot of European countries have some very well trained forces that the Russians would not want to come up against.

Europe has been victorious against the Russians before, and the The Winter War, also known as First Soviet-Finnish War, saw the Soviets given a bloody nose by the Finns who were superb skiers, survivalists and marksmen and had a lot of local knowledge. However the geography and climate in Finland makes it difficult to fight conventional wars using tanks and other conventional weapons, and this gave the Finns a big advantage. In the end the Russians only managed to take a relatively small area of Finland.

The Norwegian Long Range Reconnaissance Squadron is one of a number of European NATO forces that no country would wish to go up against.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofI5RV7fpT4

Old 03-05-2022, 06:30 AM

7,272 posts, read 4,217,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swake View Post
Military Spending per year (2020 data):

(1) United States - $778 Billion
(2) China - $252 Billion
(3) India - $72.9 Billion
(4) Russia - $61.7 Billion
(5) United Kingdom $59.2 Billion
(6) Saudi Arabia $57.5 Billion
(7) Germany $52.8 Billion
(8) France $52.7 Billion

Russia is an overwhelming force to Ukraine, who at $4.2 billion a year spends only 6.8% of what Russia spends on their military

But, by the same measure, the United States would be a similarly overwhelming force to Russia, who only spends 7.9% of what we do on our military. And that doesn't even take into account NATO.

The UK, Germany and France all spend almost what Russia does. And if we are at war with Russia, so are they as part of NATO. We spend more on our military in a month than Russia does in a year. If it weren't for Russia's nuclear weapons, it would be over quickly.

My brother works in cybersecurity. All someone has to do is release a crippling computer virus (which may already reside on many industrial and banking systems), and we will be brought to our knees. No shots fired. Stuxnet 2.0.

Old 03-05-2022, 08:24 AM

10,876 posts, read 4,555,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illtaketwoplease View Post
My brother works in cybersecurity. All someone has to do is release a crippling computer virus (which may already reside on many industrial and banking systems), and we will be brought to our knees. No shots fired. Stuxnet 2.0.

then he probably works for me.

who do you think created stuxnet btw? (no not I , I mean in a national sense)

Old 07-07-2022, 01:44 AM

61,753 posts, read 87,217,162 times
Default Could Russia start military fight over Alaska?

Russia threatens the US to take Alaska away. "This is the land of our ancestors".

Vyacheslav Volodin, an ally of Russian President Vladimir Putin and chairman of the State Duma, the lower house of the country's legislature, issued a stark warning Wednesday that Russia has something to reclaim from the U.S.: the state of Alaska.

Volodin is not the only Russian figure who has spoken about the prospect of Russia taking Alaska back from the U.S.

https://www.newsweek.com/putin-ally-...alaska-1722342

Old 07-07-2022, 01:59 AM

9,989 posts, read 5,691,547 times
I doubt even Putin is that bold/stupid. Not to mention their recent foray into Ukraine has laid bare they clearly don't have the capability.

Old 07-07-2022, 02:05 AM

16,097 posts, read 10,766,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
I doubt even Putin is that bold/stupid.
There obviously are stupid people in Putin's circle. Maybe they should buy Greenland instead.

Old 07-07-2022, 02:12 AM

9,989 posts, read 5,691,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
There obviously are stupid people in Putin's circle. Maybe they should buy Greenland instead.
Meh. It strikes me as little more than frustrated chest-thumping in response to our involvement in the Ukrainian conflict.

Old 07-07-2022, 02:18 AM

9,371 posts, read 14,322,182 times
No, it’s just bluster from a talking head, for the moment.

Having said that, then, the Arctic circle is a theater of geopolitical conflict. I am no expert, but I have read that Russia has an advantage in ice-breaking ships and that, in terms of trajectory for missiles, it makes the world that much smaller.

It’s as though we live in a sand box, or ice box, infested on all sides by highly armed arrogant adolescents cliqued in various gangs, making life and death decisions that affect everyone, collateral or not.

I wish they would all give it a rest.

A long one, until maturity comes.

I’m not holding my breath.

So no rest is coming, not for the moment.

Good Luck!

Old 07-07-2022, 03:23 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,868,996 times
Russia doesn't want Alaska. Russia wants attention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies