Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Housing Bubble 2.0 in progress?
Yes 132 72.53%
No 50 27.47%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2022, 10:15 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,155,830 times

Advertisements

We are in a bubble, and no, it’s not as bad as 07-08.

There are a lot of investors and foreign buyers involved. They will be the ones that will effect what the future will be, along with interest rates. Though interest rates do need to go up. All this debt we’re under, and what we’re going to do with it, is the question for all time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2022, 09:30 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
For months I have been seeing many threads on the rapidly increasing cost of housing. I have called it a 'Housing Bubble' a few times.

I have twelve rental apartments. I have not changed the rent at all, they are still renting at a hair less them one-quarter Minimum-Wage.

Old 02-27-2022, 09:38 AM

831 posts, read 333,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsHyde View Post
Housing prices, in some areas more than others, have been on a tear. We're talking 20% YOY for 2, going on 3, years. What surprises me is that many people believe it is realistic that it will continue this way indefinitely, when basic math says it cannot.

Traditional laws of house buying go like

* Down payment of 20%
* Pay off over 30 years (preferably 15 or 10)
* Monthly payment no more than 1/3 or 1/4 take-home pay
* House appreciates at 2-4% per year (nominal terms)

but this whole math is rewritten if you change the last bullet point so that house appreciation is on the order of 20% per year. In that scenario, you can put 0% down and be done paying in 5 years, which means you no longer care how much of your take-home pay goes to your house (heck, put it on a credit card). This creates a vicious cycle where house prices going up influences people to pay even more for houses which pushes them up further which ... (you get the picture).

I am presently investigating ways to short the housing market and welcome any advice you have on ETFs where one can 2-3x the inverse of a REIT if holding money in the inverse ETF for a period of several years. I'm aware of the mathematical consequences of the fact that inverse ETFs only track the inverted asset for 1 day before resetting.
Oh yes, we are in the market to hopefully buy soon but what we can afford for a payment every month we are better off going with a mobile home/land home package. On another note EVERY DAY I see a new house up for sale in my town, no particular reason to be selling and all are in past month or 2 because right now it's a sellers market, prices are up so they figure why not!

Old 02-27-2022, 09:43 AM

1,250 posts, read 679,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
We are not arguing that. its about the housing bubble itself. These prices cant sustain themselves.
The "housing bubble" is just a conglomerate of everything that is affecting the market. The basic laws of Capitalism (supply and demand) still apply.

Old 02-28-2022, 07:23 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 24 days ago)

29,560 posts, read 16,548,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkingandwondering View Post
The "housing bubble" is just a conglomerate of everything that is affecting the market. The basic laws of Capitalism (supply and demand) still apply.
No they dont.

Supply and Demand is simplistic and doesnt actually discuss the government element of building new homes

As I said earlier, my area put in place moratoriums on new subdivisions. New permits are only being permitted on single family residences , and its hard to find land to build a home when land developers swooped in and bought everything. They have the same in place for new apartment buildings, none are permitted.

Supply and Demand still exist, the "market" still exists, but outside forces cause a rise that none of us " marketeers " have any control of.

Old 02-28-2022, 07:41 AM

20,049 posts, read 20,861,844 times
I hate land developers.
I hate foreign buyers.

Old 02-28-2022, 10:37 AM

1,250 posts, read 679,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
No they dont.

Supply and Demand is simplistic and doesnt actually discuss the government element of building new homes

As I said earlier, my area put in place moratoriums on new subdivisions. New permits are only being permitted on single family residences , and its hard to find land to build a home when land developers swooped in and bought everything. They have the same in place for new apartment buildings, none are permitted.

Supply and Demand still exist, the "market" still exists, but outside forces cause a rise that none of us " marketeers " have any control of.
Which is still the market talking.

You might want to accept it.

Old 02-28-2022, 10:50 AM

6,752 posts, read 3,370,331 times
It depends a lot on where you are. Some areas have bigger price increases than others and some are less immune to a potential crash.

Here in Southern Nevada the federal government owns most of the land and only releases so many parcels at a time. The bidding for these parcels is fierce among builders and that drives the price up. There is a relatively small inventory of existing homes and high demand from those coming from out of state.

Our house has gone up about 65% over the 4 1/2 years we've been here. Problem is, to get another place (if we wanted one) it would also cost that much more, so we're staying put.

Old 02-28-2022, 02:43 PM

3,048 posts, read 1,152,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenieL43 View Post
Insanity.
At first I could not understand your response, but then I realized that you may think I am in favor of cashing out an IRA or borrowing from a 401k to help children buy a home. I would not recommend that, but I do think it's fine for parents to assist children in purchasing a home as long as they are not putting their own future at risk.

Old 02-28-2022, 04:18 PM

92 posts, read 27,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1065 View Post
At first I could not understand your response, but then I realized that you may think I am in favor of cashing out an IRA or borrowing from a 401k to help children buy a home. I would not recommend that, but I do think it's fine for parents to assist children in purchasing a home as long as they are not putting their own future at risk.
I understand you more clearly, too! Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies