Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2022, 11:57 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,643,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
As a native southerner, I generally tend to defend the south against certain things, but what you mention here reminds me of why I can't live down there anymore.
Down there, you're not a 'real man' unless you drive something akin to a monster truck.
One of my vehicles is a thirsty old Tundra we use to pull an RV with. I like it better than other full-sizes, but I would NEVER own a full-size truck of any brand just for the way it rides, looks, feels, blah, blah, blah. They all sit up too high and are a pain to maneuver in everyday situations.
Where I'm at now in the upper midwest, the biggest, burliest dude at work drives a..... Honda Civic. A cool sporty new one, but nonetheless a Civic. Very few full-size anythings are in the parking lot, especially not trucks. Trucks are somewhat common here, but they're still outnumbered by cars and smaller crossovers by a good margin it seems.

Last time with these gas prices, small cars became popular even if for a hot minute.
Now we have electric and those will sell like hotcakes. Hybrids will do well also.
I don't see the popularity of those waning as much should the gas prices go back down because they do come in larger sizes (even in trucks and SUV's), not just Prius's or whatever.
The electric charging infrastructure will magically expand to accommodate those needs. I often question how well that's going to go, where all that electricity is going to come from, but where there's a will there's a way.

So yeah, people will still want them because that's what they tend to gravitate towards, but those bigger vehicles will need to be more efficient, which I imagine they will be.
Yeah, and it seems to be even worse with the younger crowd for some reason. And they drive them like race cars not understanding that they handle like crap. There's stories in the news all the time where they fail to handle a curve, and end up rolling over, or hitting a tree, etc... and those same ones usually won't wear a seatbelt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2022, 12:14 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,234,562 times
Being in the market for a truck, I can tell you that the prices for new and used trucks are still nuts, and still seem to be increasing not decreasing.

Old 03-06-2022, 12:31 PM

30,396 posts, read 19,191,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Being in the market for a truck, I can tell you that the prices for new and used trucks are still nuts, and still seem to be increasing not decreasing.
Yeah so I think we can definitely say $4/gl hasn't affected people much in reducing their purchases. Maybe $6+/gl and a recession (which I think are both on the horizon) might do the trick. I'll be glad when my Tesla Cybertruck order is filled.

Old 03-06-2022, 12:39 PM

1,655 posts, read 776,757 times
And today we have crossed the $4 mark nationally.

Regular — $4.01
Premium — $4.58
Diesel — $4.53

Starting to get scary now.

Old 03-06-2022, 12:42 PM

45,439 posts, read 60,638,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoAmericaGo View Post
And today we have crossed the $4 mark nationally.

Regular — $4.01
Premium — $4.58
Diesel — $4.53

Starting to get scary now.
Naw. Just wait for the Tesla cars and Cybertrucks to get in. That seems to be the common and ongoing advice.

Old 03-06-2022, 12:49 PM

8,494 posts, read 6,902,842 times
Average price this Sunday about 5.30 for regular. A bit lower at Costco but cars were backed up for a block trying to save a few cents. Energy Armageddon. Luckily I’m retired and don’t drive a lot.

Old 03-06-2022, 12:54 PM

1,655 posts, read 776,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Give it a few months at $4+.

Only been a week and we we’ve went up about 50 cent so most people are still in shock. Once most of the country is seeing $4.50+, $5 and some see $6+ — then we will start seeing panic selling.

When most of the country is $5+ and we see some posting $7+ as a sign of what could be ahead…that’s when the liquidation begins.

Higher than $5 nationally and that newer lifted truck, new 4Runner, new Bronco, Raptor, Tahoe, etc is going to cost you $20k+ less than it did over the last 2-3 years.

Old 03-06-2022, 01:37 PM

30,455 posts, read 21,298,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoAmericaGo View Post
Give it a few months at $4+.

Only been a week and we we’ve went up about 50 cent so most people are still in shock. Once most of the country is seeing $4.50+, $5 and some see $6+ — then we will start seeing panic selling.

When most of the country is $5+ and we see some posting $7+ as a sign of what could be ahead…that’s when the liquidation begins.

Higher than $5 nationally and that newer lifted truck, new 4Runner, new Bronco, Raptor, Tahoe, etc is going to cost you $20k+ less than it did over the last 2-3 years.
So many of these big and ugly tanks will be for sale if will make heads spin once gas is $6+ a gal pal.

Old 03-06-2022, 02:30 PM

29,511 posts, read 14,673,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
So many of these big and ugly tanks will be for sale if will make heads spin once gas is $6+ a gal pal.
Good deal, i might be able to dump my '19 Ram and get into a Yukon XL Denali without having to spend a fortune.

Old 03-06-2022, 03:12 PM

30,396 posts, read 19,191,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Good deal, i might be able to dump my '19 Ram and get into a Yukon XL Denali without having to spend a fortune.
I sold my 2020 Ram for $11K more than I paid for it new after driving for 18 months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies